So none of the popular MP3 players have a viable digital output?
Sep 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 18
for the most part, yes - although some might argue that the iriver h120/140 are quite popular around these parts
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 18
Depends how you define "popular"...
The iRiver H120 and H140 seems to be quite popular around here, and they do indeed have optical S/PDIF output. Out of production though, if that matters.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Cowon Q5, but I'm not sure how good it is. Sounds fine to me, and some people say it's okay, and it's pretty easy to find one $250-$350.

Does it have an optical out?

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune HD has digital out through the dock.

so does ipod with the right dock, I see this posted around the place. the zune HD does NOT have digital output anymore than ipod or many other modern daps do. the i2s stream is there to be used, but must either be authorized because it is hardware locked (like the ZUNE is); or tapped off the circuit board traces (hacked) with the right knowhow.

plus this AV dock is powered and not portable, so you may as well get a better home dac which accepts USB or optical. likely to perform better than a ZUNE plus DOCK anyway. I just want to stop this before it spreads as misinformation.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 18
I didnt say it was portable, I only said it was there, just as the zune has it. it would be conceivable that someone could access it for portable ie. passively, given the will, the right knowhow and resources, because any i2s stream can be parsed into spdif or used directly as i2s. i2s is the communications protocol for audio on circuit board traces. in this form the clock and music data are separated and virtually any dac on the planet can understand it.

anyway; enough OT, but lets just say you wont be using your zune HD with your D10 anytime soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back