So....no one on this ENTIRE forum has compared their iMod to their PC Soundcard?
May 6, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundcards reside inside computers and the inside of a computer...

What about external sound cards?
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 43
yes like i said but got rudely blanked on a separate thread. how about imod compared to external DACs i.e headroom MicroDAC or Beresford MK III??? Surely then the internal soundcard makes no difference if you digital out.

May 7, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 43
There are some great theories here about electro magnetic interference and power supplies. Someone ought to slap on a pair of cans, balance the levels and do an A/B comparison and see what the REAL difference is... Oh. Wait a minute. That's what the fella who started this thread said.

never mind
Steve

May 7, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #35 of 43
This past weekend I compared a regular 4th gen to an iMod to my Indigo DJ.....I preferred my Indigo DJ. The iMod sounds great, but the line-out on my Indigo DJ is where it's at...for me atleast...

May 15, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 43
I conducted an A/B test this morning between the iMod and my E-MU1616M sound card and Microdock running Patchmix and Foobar ASIO. Both were connected to the different AUX IN jacks on the back of my Yamaha receiver. Imod's running a Monster Cable 1/8th mini to RCA cable the E-MU's running a "Signal Cable" cable.

Without tweaking anything on the PC software side, I can say I heard virtually NO difference in sound quality whatsoever! I was shocked by how close the iMod compared to the EMU microdock's line-out. iMod's SQ is extraordinary!

Once I enabled DFX and a 3-parameter EQ in Patchmix however, things changed dramatically. That is why I always say God-bless PC audio software
biggrin.gif
The things it can do to enhance your listening experience is astounding! DFX is one piece of software I have been using for years with Winamp and thanks to the WinAmp Wrapper I can use it with Foobar. It's an app I will always use for my music. The Fidelity and Ambient slider bars alone are worth it. Gives the highs that extra "tingle"
smily_headphones1.gif

Not too happy with the Rockbox on the iMod. I must have the wrong version because It's buggy as ****! After a couple or hours the sound balance goes outta wack and only outputs sound from the left channel. Weird. Freezes quite often too. I hope they get this more stable and squared away. Can anyone point me to a direct link to the proper version of RockBox for the iMod? I believe it's an iPod Photo.

May 15, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I conducted an A/B test this morning between the iMod and my E-MU1616M sound card and Microdock running Patchmix and Foobar ASIO. Both were connected to the different AUX IN jacks on the back of my Yamaha receiver. Imod's running a Monster Cable 1/8th mini to RCA cable the E-MU's running a "Signal Cable" cable.

Without tweaking anything on the PC software side, I can say I heard virtually NO difference in sound quality whatsoever! I was shocked by how close the iMod compared to the EMU microdock's line-out. iMod's SQ is extraordinary!

Once I enabled DFX and a 3-parameter EQ in Patchmix however, things changed dramatically. That is why I always say God-bless PC audio software
biggrin.gif
The things it can do to enhance your listening experience is astounding! DFX is one piece of software I have been using for years with Winamp and thanks to the WinAmp Wrapper I can use it with Foobar. It's an app I will always use for my music. The Fidelity and Ambient slider bars alone are worth it. Gives the highs that extra "tingle"
smily_headphones1.gif

Not too happy with the Rockbox on the iMod. I must have the wrong version because It's buggy as ****! After a couple or hours the sound balance goes outta wack and only outputs sound from the left channel. Weird. Freezes quite often too. I hope they get this more stable and squared away. Can anyone point me to a direct link to the proper version of RockBox for the iMod? I believe it's an iPod Photo.

I'm also looking for a good version of rockbox that has a good skin for it. My current version looks nice and doesn't have any audio problems, but freezes occasionally.

May 15, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

I was shocked by how close the iMod compared to the EMU microdock's line-out. iMod's SQ is extraordinary!

Just keeping it real here. I wouldn't make too many expectations. That'll set yourself up for something whether a good surprise or disappointment. Granted if you came from less, a soundcard such as this emu may be "extraordinary" but there are better sources. Anyway congrats on enjoying both of your gear and thanks for the quick comparision.

May 15, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Without tweaking anything on the PC software side, I can say I heard virtually NO difference in sound quality whatsoever!

I did a balanced line level test of the line out of an unmodded iPod and my home CD player, and there was no difference in sound quality whatsoever. Ipods sound good if you put good sounding files in them.

See ya
Steve

May 15, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #41 of 43
You can't turn up the Bass on a iPod/iMod.

Plus, the X-Fi can output in Digital, in 5.1DD, well mine at least seems too. It also has 5.1DD/DTS in, decodes DVD-Audio, Ect ect.

I Highly Doubt the iMod is as good as the X-Fi, seen as my NW-A3000 certainly comes no-where near as close to my ears.

So, the iMod would have to be at least twice as good as the Sony...

icon10.gif

I Don't believe it.

May 15, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An iMod sounding better than soundcards just doesn't make any sense. The iMod (being portable and therefore power-conscious) can't possibly have the same quality components as power-no-object soundcards. Somebody should run some tests already. I want to see graphs.
evil_smiley.gif

I have graphs... but really, bearing in mind the torrents of abuse it's going to provoke I'm not gonna bother posting.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Perhaps there's a lot of confusion as to the capabilities of the iPod as a Line Out and headphone-loaded source... since it was never that hot a headphone-out source, people maybe got mixed up between the performance there resulting in mediocre tonal elements therein and the line-out... which doesn't suffer from those issues, iMod or not.

Besides, it's all about what you feel is the best, no? [size=xx-small]*innocently bats eyelashes*[/size]

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #43 of 43
I am back to listening to me laptop rather than my iMod for my main listening purposes. Reason being, my iMod has rock box installed and it's been acting up a bit lately.

Did a complete Windows re-install and then installed Foobar2000, all 300 gigs of my music, and my E-MU 1616M sound card along with PatchMix software.

Couldn't be happier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back