So....no one on this ENTIRE forum has compared their iMod to their PC Soundcard?
Apr 18, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bamboobrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, once I got my iMod, I ceased to bother comparing and searching for a better sound. I ceased feeling the need to. If anything can sound better than my setup right now, it wouldn't make a world of difference to me because I wouldn't be able to tell.
I assume most others with the iMod are in a similar boat, thus the lack of comparisons.

I agree. My iMod is approaching 100 hours, but even after few minutes of listening to music through it sourcing the SinglePower MPX3 SE I didn't feel I missed much the Altmann DAC/Promitheus TVC in the main setup. On the ATH1000 cans, the tonality, details and imaging are fantastic. Installing Rockbox on the iMod helps, too, as it allows me to listen to lossless FLAC files.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. My iMod is approaching 100 hours, but even after few minutes of listening to music through it sourcing the SinglePower MPX3 SE I didn't feel I missed much the Altmann DAC/Promitheus TVC in the main setup. On the ATH1000 cans, the tonality, details and imaging are fantastic. Installing Rockbox on the iMod helps, too, as it allows me to listen to lossless FLAC files.

wELCOME TO THE CLUB
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are bigger ones if you reely need the extra space.

Bigger HDs for standard iPod players, sure. But not bigger HDs for iModded players.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the iMod/SuperMacro IV to drive my W2002 right now just to see how it sounds; I can't stop listening! In relative terms, I think I can safely say that the iMod sounds 10,000 times better than an average sound card.

Superpredator, any chance you could bring the iMod to the Philly meet next week? I'd love to have the chance to listen to one.

Edit: Never mind! I see that you are already planning to bring it. I was looking for it in the gear list for the meet with the rest of the iPods, when in fact it is listed under "RWA."

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really shocked. Hard to believe none of you have compared your iMod to the sound quality you get from your PC SoundBlaster sound card. Of all the things I'm dying to know it's this.

If any of you have, simply put, which one sounds better? I seriously doubt even an Imod can sound better than a SoundBlaster sound card. In fact I'll bet $100 dollars on it.

You owe me $100. Even my girlfriend's stock Video iPod sounds undeniably better than my X-Fi, let alone my iMod Photo.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You owe me $100. Even my girlfriend's stock Video iPod sounds undeniably better than my X-Fi, let alone my iMod Photo.

Since PCs use different motherboards and powersupplies, you can't really generalize on a soundcard's performance. As for "better", there are many aspects in describing sound quality in which can be prioritized differently for different individuals.

May 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 43
how does an iMod sound compared to an Indigo DJ?

May 4, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 43
What's the point in comparing an iMod with a sound card? Of course there are sound cards that will sound equivalent or better for significantly less money, but they all require a computer.

May 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 43
Because I have a laptop...it it may be a little moot for me to transfer songs from my computer to my iMod so I can listen to my imod, while on my computer, if the computer sounds equivalent or better.

I bring my laptop everywhere, and pretty much, the same places that I'de bring an iMod, would be the same place I bring my laptop.

May 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 43
You're probably better off investing in either a PCMCIA or USB solution like something from the E-MU line (02 CardBus, 0202 USB, 0404 USB, 1616M).

Just IMO, of course. The iMod serves a specific purpose--high-quality ultra-portable playback. There are better alternatives in other situations.

May 6, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #27 of 43
The Indigo DJ is PCMCIA....

May 6, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting post. Thanks for the comments.

Have fun with only 60Gb of music
wink.gif

How come nobody understands playlist selection? It complete negates the size of the MP3 Player. (unless you listen to more than 60gb of music in one sitting)

1. Rip the CD into iTunes
2. Select all songs from newly ripped cd.
3. File -> New Playlist from Selection.

Your playlist will now look like this:
Gershwin - Gershwin Plays Gershwin

4. Plug in iPod
5. Select iPod under "Devices"
6. Click music tab.
7. Check "Sync Music".
8. Instead of "All songs and playlists", check "Selected playlists"
9. Underneath should be a large screen with ALL playlists in it, check the playlists you want on your iPod.

If you go over the size capacity, it will let you know you checked too many.

Not only is it incredibly clean (in the iPod, just choose "playlist" and search by "artist name -> album name") but you can easily carry every song you want with you whenever you want.

May 6, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #29 of 43
An iMod sounding better than soundcards just doesn't make any sense. The iMod (being portable and therefore power-conscious) can't possibly have the same quality components as power-no-object soundcards. Somebody should run some tests already. I want to see graphs.
evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 43
Soundcards reside inside computers and the inside of a computer I would think is more prone to EM interference I would think.

Also, once you move the amplifier section off the iPod, the rest of the audio stage doesn't really use very much power at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back