So nice you bought it twice?
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Nickapalooza86

100+ Head-Fier
Just a thought I was having about buying a second Focal Elegia just to have as a backup if mine ever breaks. I use it constantly when I am smoking cigars in my cigar room which has a somewhat loud exhaust fan. The Elegia seem to be the perfect closed back for blocking the noise and for my sound taste with a touch of EQ.

Curious if anyone else has a backup pair or second of any headphones for any reason?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 42
Just a thought I was having about buying a second Focal Elegia just to have as a backup if mine ever breaks. I use it constantly when I am smoking cigars in my cigar room which has a somewhat loud exhaust fan. The Elegia seem to be the perfect closed back for blocking the noise and for my sound taste with a touch of EQ.

Curious if anyone else has a backup pair or second of any headphones for any reason?
Yes, I have two Austrian Audio X-65 headphones. Just in case one gets broken and to have one for traveling and one staying safe at home.
I am planning to buy a second Neumann NDH 30 for the same reasons and for playing the digital piano, but these cans are too expensive for me now.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 42
Yes, I have two Austrian Audio X-65 headphones. Just in case one gets broken and to have one for traveling and one staying safe at home.
I am planning to buy a second Neumann NDH 30 for the same reasons and for playing the digital piano, but these cans are too expensive for me now.
That is what I am planning on doing with the Elegia, just buy it and test it out for a few days to make sure everything is all good in the return period and then just put it in its case somewhere until something happens to my original pair. Seems like a good idea now that you can get the Elegia for $300 and it has been discontinued for a couple years so they can won't be around forever new.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 42
Cans I have/had multiple copies:
NDH30
HD650
LCD3
PS500

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 42
I almost did that with HE-500 because I like them so much but they are reliable and don't seem like they will ever break anytime soon.

Instead, I got an HE6SE V2 which is a different take on a similar formula and I am very satisfied with that choice.

These are two of my very favorite open back headphones.

As to actually doing two of a single headphone, I think it makes most sense on a headphone that is hard to find. Maybe when it comes up then, you grab it. Ones that are readily available, you can just buy it if you need to.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 42
Call me insane, but I owned the original HD800 back in the day and after selling it to purchase the 800S, I just wasn't able to replicate the magic that the original model produced for me. So, I semi-recently decided to purchase the 800 again. Just as wonderful as I remember it. :)

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 42
Call me insane, but I owned the original HD800 back in the day and after selling it to purchase the 800S, I just wasn't able to replicate the magic that the original model produced for me. So, I semi-recently decided to purchase the 800 again. Just as wonderful as I remember it. :)
Not insane at all! I am always afraid of upgrading to the new revision Incase I don't feel the magic anymore!

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 42
I have two sets of Grado RS1x: one SE amp termination, one XLR amp termination (the headphone cables are non-detachable). Also, two ZMF Atrium: one aged cherry & one cocobolo; two ZMF Auteur: one black limbawood & one stabilised takwin; two ZMF Eikon: one camphor & one cocobolo. Different woods —> different note / chord onset and decay characteristics.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 42
If I saw a pair or ESP/950 or 95X going cheap I'd jump on them, just in case. Same thing with the Jupiter One, though I doubt I'll ever see another pair for sale.

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 42
I have two sets of Grado RS1x: one SE amp termination, one XLR amp termination (the headphone cables are non-detachable). Also, two ZMF Atrium: one aged cherry & one cocobolo; two ZMF Auteur: one black limbawood & one stabilised takwin; two ZMF Eikon: one camphor & one cocobolo. Different woods —> different note / chord onset and decay characteristics.
Now that is commitment to what you like!

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 42
I have: two Stax SR-Lambda Normal Bias (plus quite a few later models), three Oppo PM-3, and buying a second set of Stax SR-X mk3. I also still have three or four pairs of Yamaha HP-3 which I'm not using anymore, from before planars went into mass production again.

Always have backups of your favorite headphones handy, especially if they've been out of production for almost 50 years. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back