So, my wife just gave me a reason to buy a turntable...
Jun 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
One my all time favorite albums. I received it as a birthday gift from my wife. (The CD sounds great).

It's been over 20 years since I've owned a TT, and at the moment, this is the only vinyl I own. Worth getting one? I have no idea of what's even available in vinyl these days. I always used to buy high quality vinyl (Japanese or German imports, MFSL, etc.) Can you still buy stuff like that?

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 14
I've heard that while CD sales are constantly declining vinyl sales are actually increasing. I think it depends on your musical taste. Some labels press a decent amount of vinyl, some just limited editions and some none at all. I generally buy vinyl when possible and maybe a little over half of the albums I've bought in the past couple years had a vinyl pressing, but quite a few of them were limited editions that sold out quickly. I'd imagine back filling an album collection in vinyl to be an expensive and frustrating endeavour though.

What album is that btw?

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
I've heard that while CD sales are constantly declining vinyl sales are actually increasing. I think it depends on your musical taste. Some labels press a decent amount of vinyl, some just limited editions and some none at all. I generally buy vinyl when possible and maybe a little over half of the albums I've bought in the past couple years had a vinyl pressing, but quite a few of them were limited editions that sold out quickly. I'd imagine back filling an album collection in vinyl to be an expensive and frustrating endeavour though.

What album is that btw?

It's the re-release of "Exile on Main Street" by the Rolling Stones. Definitely a classic album, by any definition.

Not sure if I'd bother to try and backfill my old collection, just kind of curious as to the state of vinyl, as it were, I guess. I knew that vinyl was making a sort of comeback. The question is, how much of it am I interested in? I'm a classic rock kind of guy, most of today's music leaves me cold.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 14
I asked the same question exactly a year ago.....

I just snapped this photo 30 seconds ago....

It's great because it actually brought my wife into the music hobby as well... she doesn't care too much about gear.. as long as it sounds good she's happy.. but we go looking for records together at least once a week.. it's a really cool thing to share with her.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 14
It's definitely easy. Like Ron, I got into vinyl a year or so ago and I have no problems finding good records. It's all about having good record stores locally. If not, you can always pick some up at a place like music direct. I say go for it!

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Just know that initial turntable cost can double once you've added a decent cartridge, phono pre and accessories :wink: I've found that plenty of independent artists are releasing their new albums and singles on vinyl, and it can be fun to occasionally shop around in a record store for an old treasure or two. If you hit up ElusiveDisc, you'll find a pretty huge selection of new albums and high quality pressings.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 14
After a 20 year hiatus, I also got back into vinyl last October. I bought a black Pro-ject Debut III and a Shure M97x cartdrige.

While setting up the table and cleaning the records properly is more involved than simply slapping a CD into the player, it also feels much more rewarding and it enabled me to re-discover the 200+ LP collection that had been dormant for 20 years at my parents house.

Go for it!

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 14
If you're into classic rock then I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to track down some decent records. I haven't heard Exile though, it's a bit before my time. I've got the same Ikea bookshelf as Ron but unfortunately being a student have only been able to afford filling one square so far.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Just know that initial turntable cost can double once you've added a decent cartridge, phono pre and accessories :wink: I've found that plenty of independent artists are releasing their new albums and singles on vinyl, and it can be fun to occasionally shop around in a record store for an old treasure or two. If you hit up ElusiveDisc, you'll find a pretty huge selection of new albums and high quality pressings.

I'm pretty sure my current home theater/stereo system has a phono input, I'll have to check for sure. I used to hunt records on a regular basis back in the day, might be interesting to get back into it. Of course, I really don't need another cash sink...photography gear takes most of my discretionary funds. Thanks for the tip on ElusiveDisc.

Edit: I just looked at the ElusiveDisc site. This could be very hazardous to my wallet.
frown.gif
This is exactly the stuff I used to look for back when I was really into audio.

Quote:
After a 20 year hiatus, I also got back into vinyl last October. I bought a black Pro-ject Debut III and a Shure M97x cartdrige.

While setting up the table and cleaning the records properly is more involved than simply slapping a CD into the player, it also feels much more rewarding and it enabled me to re-discover the 200+ LP collection that had been dormant for 20 years at my parents house.

Go for it!

This TT looks interesting, especially considering it comes with the cartridge. The reviews I've read are pretty favorable. When I get some cash saved up, I may go ahead and get one. I kind of miss the ritual of cleaning the record and stylus, CDs are easier, but somehow less rewarding. Good for when you want music for casual listening with no effort.

Quote:
If you're into classic rock then I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to track down some decent records. I haven't heard Exile though, it's a bit before my time. I've got the same Ikea bookshelf as Ron but unfortunately being a student have only been able to afford filling one square so far.

The old stuff is the best, IMO. Exile is one of the best records the Stones ever made. I highly recommend you score a copy of the CD, post haste.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Just a little tibit of wisdom that's been bantered at the Steve Hoffman forum. You can get a turntable up to cd quality by spending around $600. But the vinyl gurus there say, if you really want to hear how vinyl can BETTER cd, you're looking at a $2,000-plus rig. Most kids who go, "Oh my god, vinyl" are just full of new toy enthusiam and in awe of the miracle that "vinyl": works. As an old audiophile, I gave up at around the $800 mark trying to better CD sound, and at the expense of more trouble playing the damn things and scratching a few $40 albums. Remember, the average price of NEW vinyl is about 50% more than their digital counterparts. The audiophile vinyl - you're looking at $40.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Just a little tibit of wisdom that's been bantered at the Steve Hoffman forum. You can get a turntable up to cd quality by spending around $600. But the vinyl gurus there say, if you really want to hear how vinyl can BETTER cd, you're looking at a $2,000-plus rig. Most kids who go, "Oh my god, vinyl" are just full of new toy enthusiam and in awe of the miracle that "vinyl": works. As an old audiophile, I gave up at around the $800 mark trying to better CD sound, and at the expense of more trouble playing the damn things and scratching a few $40 albums. Remember, the average price of NEW vinyl is about 50% more than their digital counterparts. The audiophile vinyl - you're looking at $40.

You raise some very good points. I would probably be better off getting a good CD/SACD player and investing in either building or buying a new headphone amp, and getting good source material. Although, I've been having fun tweaking the wife on how she got me started on audio again
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 14
I recently got the Exile 2010 CD and it is the first time I listened to the whole album.

Mind blowing to say the least.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 14
Unlike Let it Bleed, Exile had a cohesiveness between songs. And I liked all the horn arrangements and non-ironic country songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back