So my RS-1's just got here....
Mar 15, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My flats came today. I haven't done much testing as I just got in from work but it they seem to muddy up the mids and some of the highs. I might be crazy but will test some more back and forth. Not sure I like em, I don't notice any difference in comfort.

You aren't alone... though definitely in the minority. There aren't too many folks who prefer the bowls (I do, for one).

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #32 of 53
the OP will be broke before the end of the week..and guessing a tube amp will be on order by the end of next week, tops
edit: don't like the new winc smiley..so I removed it..bummer they changed it

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the OP will be broke before the end of the week..and guessing a tube amp will be on order by the end of next week, tops
edit: don't like the new winc smiley..so I removed it..bummer they changed it

haha funny you say that... I just ordered a Ear + Purist HD2. I'm looking at turntables, and also upgrading my DAC. So yeah I'm gonna be broke haha.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You aren't alone... though definitely in the minority. There aren't too many folks who prefer the bowls (I do, for one).

X2..have always used bowls on my Grados, cant stand flats at all.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2..have always used bowls on my Grados, cant stand flats at all.

Me as well. Flats just make the sound too thick for most material. The bowls leave a good sense of air that I appreciate. And RS-1+flats is just plain too much bass for my tastes.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 53
I'd give all the pads a shot...ya never know!!

....I like reversed 414s on my MS-1 and bowls on my MS2i....if I get MS-Pros...who knows!!

Oh...and congrats on the purchase!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the wood add bass or take it away?
this is something i've always meant to ask, but always forget.

I can't really comment on that because these are the only Grados I've ever listened to. But I'm not sure what the wood does for bass as RS-1's and PS-1's both seem to be talked about for their base one having wood cups and one aluminum.

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #41 of 53
My hd414 pads just got here.... holy comfort batman! I haven't cut the centers out yet and I can tell a little lacking in the highs with the foam there so I will be cutting a hole in them but geez these are comfy.

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me as well. Flats just make the sound too thick for most material. The bowls leave a good sense of air that I appreciate. And RS-1+flats is just plain too much bass for my tastes.

i've never enjoyed the flats either. on almost every grado that i've heard them on, the pads make them sound congested and the bass somewhat muddy. the rs1 with bowls are the most comfortable grado that i've tried so far since they're so light. flats or hd414 pads aren't necessary for comfort.

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #44 of 53
Pics?
rs1smile.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 53
+1 for bowls! I love how they sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back