So many options...
Sep 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

imwiththemidget

New Head-Fier
Ok I need help. Im looking to get my first pair of over the head cans. im looking to spend no more than $120. I mainly listen to punk and alternative, but do listen to a bit of everything. I want good sound, durability, and one cord not two (wireless would be better) plus I want noise cancelling and closed around the ear cans and lastly.. Style. They have to be cool.

Here are ones I have in mind. Need suggestions!
- skullcandy HESH
- skullcandy dj pro
- skullcandy double agent
- stanton dj pro 3000
- sony extra bass (I like how they look and love the ears. But are they good for rock?)

P.s. I like the monster beats by dr dre but too pricey. Also you guys say the grado are good. Are they what im looking for? How much?

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 13
You can at least eliminate the skullcandys.
wink.gif

ATH-ES7 looks imo very cool, and FWIR is pretty good.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 13
No skullcandies please, they sound horrible, they're made more to look good than sound good. >..< Monster beats by dr dre don't have many fans on this site either.

Also, you're unlikely to find fans of wireless headphones here. Noise-cancelling headphones also adds a strange hum or buzz to the music, so it's not advisable to get those if you don't need the feature.

You can get grados for as little as $60. I'd recommend you try and find a shop which has grado SR60 and SR80 to test. I think you would be able to tell the difference in sound quality to a skullcandy almost immediately.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another good one in your budget to try out would be the audio technica AD700.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 13
At right about your price limit are the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I've not heard them, but they are well regarded cans with good bass and they have a decent look to them imo.
They have a coiled cord so that may be a turn off for you.

Also, the JVC HA-RX700 and RX900 are stellar performers in their price ranges ($35 and $55 respectively). I thought the RX900's bass really intruded on the midrange something awful and the upper mids and highs were muffled. Luckily, TopPop has a good thread on modding them, which I can confirm does help make these a much more balanced sounding headphone.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 13
So right now im between the grado 80s, the sony xb70 and the ATH-M50. I doubt im gonna modify them at all. So which of the 3 would be best? Thanks in advanced guys.

Im gonna use it 95% with my ipod. Im on the bus alot

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 13
Oh, if you're on the bus a lot, leave the grados out, they're open so you'd be able to hear the bus engine. You might want some noise canceling phones in that case then. Maybe a Ath-NC7.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 13
Get the Sony XBR-700s : of all the cans you've mentioned, they stand out to me as being a good fit for your needs.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 13
If you like bass, the Sony MDR-XB700 sound nice... They are definitely better than the 500s, at least with my short try out... Like estreeter mentioned, they would probably fit what you are looking for. They are extremely comfortable, even with my larger ears.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by imwiththemidget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they sony xb700s are 20% off right now, so unless the ath m50s are way better im going get them.

If I didnt have the Ultrasones, I would leap on that, but Sony rarely discount their headphones here. For you, its a no-brainer - the M50s are more expensive (in Oz, anyway) : not sure about your neck of the woods.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 13
i'm glad somebody mentioned the Denon D1001's. i've test driven them, and they sound like exactly what you're looking for based off of the info you've given everybody.

i'm actually saving up for a pair of em right now cause i want a good pair of close cans.

anyways, good luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back