so many headphones.
Dec 25, 2004 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

schwarzenneger

500+ Head-Fier
i own about five pairs.but some own five times that amount.what's the point?
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
confused.gif

OK, five or twenty-five, what is the point? For me the point is being able to sample different sound signatures, pairing cans with the music that plays to their strengths, having the option to go open or closed as needed, and (as brandoj observes) for fun. It's a hobby.

Why do you own five pairs?
biggrin.gif

BW

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 20
People own many pairs just so they can make us one-phoners feel bad. I say it's time to revolt.

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 20
Because most users use different headphones with different setups as in sources and amps. I use rs-1's for tube amps. Hd600+hp-2's for SS amps. MS-2's for gaming and watching movies. 325's for rock

Dec 25, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwarzenneger
confused.gif

I had no intention of starting a collection but it appears that I have, and I haven't finished yet. I guess it has unexpectedly become a hobby.

To some people here at head-fi your question would be the equivalent of "Why do people want to own more than one DVD-movie or CD album?" I guess because each one is different.

Dec 26, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
There is absolutely no point in owning more than one unless you make it a hobby of collecting - I personally think that's rediculous, but some people do it, and I can respect that.

You only have one set of ears on your head.

I think your statement is a little bit short-sighted. I definitely have more headphones than I need (I plan on trimming down the "collection" after the first of the year), but I couldn't make do with just one pair of cans. My hobby is music more than collecting headphones, but since I listen to music in a lot of different environments, I feel like I need at least five or six different sets of headpones:

-Full-sized open-air - Sennheiser HD600
-Full-sized closed - Beyerdynamic DT 250-80
-Full-sized portable/monitoring - Sony V6
-Earbuds - Sennheiser MX500 or Sony 888
-Canalphones - Etymotic ER6 or Shure ER2c
-Portable open-air - Koss KSC-35, -75, Portapro

I could sell everything else I have and be happy with the above cans I listed. There are definitely times that the Senn MX500's make a lot more sense than the Senn HD600's. I can't imagine one headphone meeting my needs in every situation. Sometimes I need open-air, sometimes closed. Many times when I'm on the go, full-sized cans just won't work for me.

-Keith

Dec 26, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I had no intention of starting a collection but it appears that I have, and I haven't finished yet. I guess it has unexpectedly become a hobby.

This is also what happened to me in a short space of time. Visiting Head-Fi while you are supposed to be saving cash for a house is a very dangerous thing! But while I'm happy with my choices so far, and am having a great time wallowing in this hobby, I hope the pace slows down a bit after the Graham Slee Solo 2004 arrives next week.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back