So - just how good are these Little Dots?
Feb 13, 2011 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johns78c

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I've been trolling around the forums for a while and I've come to like the idea of one of the balanced LD amps coupled up with their DAC.  However at the price point of the balanced amps (MK VI and VIII) there seems to be a lot of competition!  I'm thinking Woo Audio 3 and 6 (whilst not balanced, are they 'better'?).

I currently use Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 ohm cans and listen to a wide variety of music from classical, female vocals to Led Zepplin and Deep Purple.  I'm using high bit rate flac files through optical out of my pc at the moment but am interested in getting a turntable (Rega P3-7) at some stage too.

All opinions are welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 5
I can't comment on the balanced LD amps but based on the question of Little Dots in general (esp. with Beyer DT990 600ohm) - I have found that the Little Dots are fantastic amps at the mid-level (as well as the lower end). I've owned a few LDs - including the I+, MKIII and now MKIV. I recently battled a bit of upgraditis and was strongly considering selling the LD MKIV and buying either a Woo 3 or 6. For once - I resisted.

This is not a commentary on whether LDs are better than Woos. I simply realized that whether or not the Woos were better - the difference would likely be subtle to me at best - and the MKIV did a marvelous job at driving my Beyers (and I own about 25 sets of tubes to roll). I'm so glad I resisted - it allowed me to buy the DT880s (600s) and now I have 2 awesome, complimentary phones with a really great amp IMO. While I have no doubt that Woo Amps are great pieces of gear - maybe a Little Dot (MKIII or MKIV) PLUS a really good Dac would suit you best with your digital setup.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Speaking only to the Little Dot MKIII, I know it may not be the best (of course not) nor the most expensive but headphone amp but I do know that it sounds incredible with both my AKG 701's and Grado 325i's. With the different gain settings I think that you can match it up to just about any set of headphones.

I use mine in my office system with an ASUS STX using coaxial digital out to either a DacMagic or Benchmark DAC1 and my preamp Tape Outs to the LD MKIII. All the music (1200+ CD's) on my PC are in FLAC format with many being 24/96. I can't tell you which amp is better (depends on what you like) but I can tell you that I love the time I spend listening to the LD MKIII so I have little doubt that you would enjoy whichever amp they make that fits your needs.

Best of luck with whichever you pick.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the mkvi. And love it.
However, i would be remiss to recommend it to anyone without condition.
you have to understand that you are buying a mid priced amp that attempts to deliver high end sound.
And it does deliver great sound.
But, to keep the price low, and buildability high, certain sacrifices were made.
First, it is a pcb (printed circuit board) amp.
For some, this will mean nothing. For others, they will only consider point to point amps.
Second, it has active cooling. This is what you get when you cram four 6AS7G tubes on a circuit board. You worry about the traces getting too hot. And so fans are required.
But, the fans are not too loud. And i only hear them without headphones on.

For $700, you get one heckuva great sounding amp. But the build quality is not nearly as robust or as sophisticated as a woo.
So... There's my .02 dollars.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 5
That's a great description of how a midfi priced amp can produce a hifi sound. Sacrifices were made, but like you said, the end result is a great sounding amp at a great price. It also looks very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back