So, is there better DIY headphone cable than Cardas 4-24 AWG?
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that there are lots of good wires but I am talking about professionally made flexible nice looking quad cable like Cardas or Mogami. Probably I wasn't clear enough.

I dunno. I'm still seeing DIY from what you're saying.
biggrin.gif

I understand what you want, though: A premade, finished, mass-produced cable. Unfortunately, nearly every cable of this type is made to carry a mono signal, so you're SOL unless you're willing to braid your own.

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 36
Offtopic...

Is the Cardas Starquad 4x24awg the best choise for recabling the DT-770, or should I look into some Mogami?

/Chopha

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Offtopic...

Is the Cardas Starquad 4x24awg the best choise for recabling the DT-770, or should I look into some Mogami?

/Chopha

For these, I would recommend something as bright and detailed as possible. I wouldn't recommend Cardas for these simply because it's very warm and these are seriously bass-heavy already.

I recabled a pair with SPC with very nice results. I tried them with Canare cable first, and liked the SPC more.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For these, I would recommend something as bright and detailed as possible. I wouldn't recommend Cardas for these simply because it's very warm and these are seriously bass-heavy already.

I recabled a pair with SPC with very nice results. I tried them with Canare cable first, and liked the SPC more.

In that case, would this be a good cable for the job?:

Shielded signal cable with PTFE insulation of internal conductors and external sheath of FEP. Conductors and shield of silver-plated copper. The cable has a wide temperature range, good chemical resistance, high tear resistance and is flameproof. Meets MIL-W-16878/4 and MIL-C-27500/F.

Conductors: Silver-plated copper, 19×0.13 mm
Area: 0.24 mm2 (AWG24)
Conductor insulation: PTFE, colour-coded
Shield: Silver-plated copper
External insulation: FEP, silver-grey
Temp. range: -65 to +200 °C
Test voltage: 1500 V
Operating voltage: 600 V

/Chopha

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 36
...or?

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mogami 2534 is just your average cheap stranded copper. It's nice, but nothing close to Cardas 4x24.

If you want quality, you can take a look at the wire offerings from Vampire, Juniper, Kimber and Neotech. They should all be great quality, and are mostly solid-core.

just had to bump.. but is there a one-stop site/or best site to check these out.. where all these cables/wires available (bare)? ive been trying to search for high end cables to redo my grados with... but seems like these higher end bare cables/wires are tough to find... (esp at a good price)

thanks.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just had to bump.. but is there a one-stop site/or best site to check these out.. where all these cables/wires available (bare)? ive been trying to search for high end cables to redo my grados with... but seems like these higher end bare cables/wires are tough to find... (esp at a good price)

thanks.

Talk about resurrecting an old thread. My opinions of the Mogami 2534 have since changed (as I have used it a few times more). I think it's a great budget cable and prefer it over Cardas 4x24 in some applications. Generally the Cardas is a little on the warm side, especially in the mids and with some headphones, I prefer a more neutral midrage (don't get me started - I do not mean "neutral" as "exactly how it was intended", I simply mean less accented/soft/fluid, etc).

For a good wire selection, there isn't many "one stop shops", Percy Audio has the best prices for Cardas and a few other nice wires like XLO which I tend to like. Partsconnexion has a very nice selection of wire, some more/less expensive. Each store seems to have a few really good prices with the rest "average". Redco is the most convenient place for basic cable needs as they sell connectors, Mogami 2534/2893 and heatshrink. For Jena Ultrawire, go straight to Jena labs, you won't get a better price from distributors (as far as I have seen).

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 36
I like Mogami 2893 for basic, no-nonsense interconnects and headphone cables (up to the split). For nicer (but more fragile) cables I like SPC (silver plated copper), possibly intertwined with stranded copper for looks.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #25 of 36
ill agree here with mogami seeming to be good for just some no nonsense good all around cable for whatever you need without breaking banks....

seems like the general consensus on this board tends to state that SPC/ all silver cables making audio sound "more bright" which already added to some bright grados might seem to harsh for my listening tastes......

however i do agree that stranded cable and spc tends to look best when some people get real creative in creating their interconnects and other high end use....

looks like for my first cable ill use this left over MOGAMI W-2528
to attempt to make some headphone cables... 3.5 stereo plug on one end... Y splitting to (2) 3.5 mono plugs
this cable is not in quad configuration so it will be interesting to see if there is any sonic differences i can hear when making these... attempting at some cardas 4/24 quads.... and then just stock good ol grado wire....

[pic of mogami w-2528 wire]
21ctuts.jpg

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 36
Damn how did I miss this one? Should be much more practical then quad for a quick headphone recable. Looks perfect for recabling earbuds, too.

There's one thing I don't understand about stock hp cables. How is that some of them come with the signal and ground completely naked, no insulation at all. How come the sound doesnt cut off?

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #30 of 36
markertek.com has most everything you'd need to re-cable: wire, connectors, and sleevings. but what supplier you use also depends where you're from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back