So, I'm thinking about laptops for college... anyone have any advice?
Apr 17, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 60
I had the port replicator and monitor idea... after a while it became too much of a hastle and decided to stay on my laptop...but i still use an external mouse for gaming.
On the Go, i think the trackpoint is the only real option: when typing i usually want to go somewhere (say in lecture i want to draw a diagram or graph, or correct a mispelled word)... a touchpad is too slow since i have to take my hand of the keyboard to do it...and it's movement is slow and inacurate compared to the trackpoint/ultranav.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 60
Dell builds piss-poorly-put-together, disposable computers. I wouldn't buy one for anything.

I have a Fujitsu laptop and am most satified with it. They make a couple of excellent models in the 13.3-14" 4:3 screen mold that might intrest you. I've also quite like the Asus 'books I've used. I'm not sure I trust Thinkpad anymore though.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 60
Why would you say that about the Dells? They seem pretty reputable to me. We've owned a lot of desktop Dells in the past and they all run great and are quite expandable.

I saw the Fujitsu's during my CompUSA trips and they're really nice, but the ones they had out were absolutely gigantic - nowhere near portable. But the screens were gorgeous. To be honest, there was so much bling-bling going on that I'd be afraid to breathe on it. I didn't use them extensively, though. I'd never considered the brand before.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Dell builds piss-poorly-put-together, disposable computers. I wouldn't buy one for anything.

I tend to agree, based on experience. Dell has gotten better over the last couple years though, and their corporate line is decent, but I still wouldn't buy one again.

Another poster suggested not buying a powerful machine because you'll just be tempted to play games with it, and I agree. When you're in college, it's too easy to just watch hours disappear playing games with people. Get involved with the campus community, join clubs, do volunteering, get involved with research, whatever you find interesting. You won't remember the hours you spent playing games when you're out of college (it's like time spent watching TV, really), but you will have really fond memories and strong friendships of the extracurricular activities you got involved in.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 60
I don't really know much about what's out there today, but I purchased a Dell Latitude X200 a few years ago and it was great for college. Tiny and portable, it did all that I needed it to do, and I could lug it up the hill to the library or to class without breaking my back. I'd also recommend something like a media dock, which I have with mine. The reason being is that the X200 was about 3 lbs without the dock, and I didn't need to bring the floppy/cdrom fuctionality with me to campus most of the time. The dock isn't as elegant as a notebook with everything built in, but I loved it when I was able to bring only the notebook itself with me to campus.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 60
Have you looked at the LG T1 Express Dual? I tried one out in the campus tech shop, and it seems really solid. Plus it has dual core. However the screen had a slightly sub-optimal vertical viewing angle. Its quite thin and light.

I have a dell inspiron 600m, bought right before they introduced the 630m. Apart from keyboard flex, I have no problems with it! Clocked down to 600Mhz the cpu stays at 35'C, and the case never gets so much as close to warm, perfect for lap-top use.

[edit] and I must say, in this day you're quite spoilt for choice! When I was choosing, getting the performance I wanted at 5lbs was costing $2500+ which is crazy. Oh and look at compaqs notebooks. They are solid solid machines. My dad has an x1000

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #25 of 60
My Sony T250 that I got last march has been a workhorse for me, it's never had any program incompatabilities or issues at all...it's really surprised me how sturdy it's been. The fact that it's like 3 pounds and has a dvd burner astounds most poeple. You said you don't like widescreen screens (which I love) so you won't like it, but if you get a good Sony it won't give you problems.

That being said, Thinkpads rule, and the fact that they get 8 hours of battery life, has dual-core procs and all that, wow that's just crazy.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 60
Unless you have a real reason for ruling out a Mac, I'd seriously consider a 12" or 15" PowerBook and a 20" Cinema monitor and a Bluetooth keyboard. Best of both worlds (laptop/desktop) and a great OS w/ next to zero viral issues.
If I were a gamer I might go PC but fortunately I'm not.
CPW

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
I honestly think IBM makes the best laptops

I just don't like the fact that Lenovo (who makes all of IBMs lappys IIRC) almost exclusively uses Intel Integrated Graphics, with the exception of their really $$$ models. Anyone care to comment on the ability of IIG?

Nate

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #28 of 60
Another vote for IBM. The best thing about ibm is you can parts for repair on ebay or from parts warehouse online. The self maintenance will save you a lot of $$$. I replaced my mobo from a 32mb video onboard to 128mb onboard and it cost me $250 including a new long arm fan. IBM wanted to charge me $600.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I just don't like the fact that Lenovo (who makes all of IBMs lappys IIRC) almost exclusively uses Intel Integrated Graphics, with the exception of their really $$$ models. Anyone care to comment on the ability of IIG?

Nate

Not sure why you say this? T-series and Z-series both use ATI graphics, at least as an option...

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 60
Not to hijack this topic but I'm looking for a laptop too. I'm thinking about the Comapq V2000Z which is on the cheaper side. It is customizable, I'm thinking about:

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
AMD Sempron(TM) 3300+ (2.0GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x768)
ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/productivity ports
256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
FREE Upgrade from DVD to DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive!!
FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/125HSM!!
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Microsoft(R) Works/Money

For $603, but I'm still undecided on if I need the extended service plan and if I should get the accident insurance too.

In addition I wonder if I should step up to a 64-bit processor to prepare of the future.
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-32 (1.8GHz/512KB L2 Cache) +$40.00
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)+$80.00
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)+$130.00

I also will buy a stick of 512 MB or 1 GB stick of RAM in addition form Newegg because HP screws you on the prices.

It is not really critical becuase I'm waiting untill later this summer and hopfully I'll be able to get more for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back