So, I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATHM50S and i have a few questions..
Sep 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Yenasty5

New Head-Fier
Recently my Meelectronics m6 IEMs died on me and i think i have finally decided to give up on IEM. It seems to me that they are way too fragile and that with the ammount of use i give to my earphones i'd be better off with some sturdy full size headphones.

Which brings me here, after reading the summer buyers guide and looking at the AT's, it seems that they are a good entry level set of cans.
Basically i'm looking for a good bang for buck set which is easy to drive (most likely will have a crapberry cellphone as source), has nice isolation, good soundstage, and it's durable. Looks don't matter and comfort is not THAT big of a deal. Music that will be played is mostly metal, thrash, death, etc.
I was also wondering if i would need an amp or if i would benefit from having one (FiiO E11 or E6 (budget))[size=1.7em]Budget is somewhere around $100-150[/size]

I am open for all kind of recommendations and i hope you guys reply to this thread. Thanks in advance

* I did check the "look here before making a new thread" thread but it seems like it died since nobody replied so yeah.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I personally do not own these headphones but from what i've read, they usually do not require an amp as they are quite easily driven by many sources (PCs, iPhones/iPods). This might not be valid in you case as you seem to have a Blackberry. Also, if you decide to use any Fiio amp, you will not be able to use the full potential of the amp since you will not be able to use a LOD cable to connect your amp to the Blackberry. So an amp in your case might not improve the sound that much.
Other than that, the M50s are often considered  good entry headphones and are recommended all around the web as really good cans for their price.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Recently my Meelectronics m6 IEMs died on me and i think i have finally decided to give up on IEM. It seems to me that they are way too fragile and that with the ammount of use i give to my earphones i'd be better off with some sturdy full size headphones.
Which brings me here, after reading the summer buyers guide and looking at the AT's, it seems that they are a good entry level set of cans.
Basically i'm looking for a good bang for buck set which is easy to drive (most likely will have a crapberry cellphone as source), has nice isolation, good soundstage, and it's durable. Looks don't matter and comfort is not THAT big of a deal. Music that will be played is mostly metal, thrash, death, etc.I was also wondering if i would need an amp or if i would benefit from having one (FiiO E11 or E6 (budget))[size=1.7em]Budget is somewhere around $100-150[/size]
I am open for all kind of recommendations and i hope you guys reply to this thread. Thanks in advance
* I did check the "look here before making a new thread" thread but it seems like it died since nobody replied so yeah.

Chances are you will do ok plugging the ATH-m50s straight into the crapberry
As the ATH-M50 are only 50-Ohm.
You can always try the Fiio E6 if you feel like trying an amp.

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
What other headphones would you recomend in the 100-150 range?
Any better options then the ATH-M50s?

Not off hand.
A few minutes ago I ordered some JVC (Victor) HA-S500-Z (gunmetal gray) headphones, from Japan, $77(US)
and some Velvet ear pads, from China, $13.80.
The HA-S500 uses Carbon nanotube for at least part of the diaphragm, not as good isolation as the ATH-M50s,
but they are lighter and easier to drive the the ATH-M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back