So i'm considering buying Sennheiser HD 25-1
Apr 12, 2006 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cquest

New Head-Fier
I'm considering buying some Sennheiser HD 25-1 but have a few questions.

I mainly listen to rock/hard rock/metal and have heard that the Sennheiser HD 25-1 might not be aggressive enough for it. Is this true?

I have heard that they are comfortable, as well as that they are very uncomfortable....Which is it?

What are the pros and cons of having a pair of these?

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 10
The search button is your friend. Saint Panda did a detailed review of the HD-25's. I also own a pair and use them everyday, portably.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 10
I have a large head and glasses... my ears hurt after a while so I don't think HD-25s would be comfortable for everyone. I use them for commuting but I wouldn't use them for long periods at home (or in the office).

Anyway, they sure rock!

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 10
I bought a 1.5m V2 cable for the HD-25's from Headphile and the sound is killer. Big improvement over the stock cable. For an extra $90 it's well worth it. Not only does it improve the sound, but it eliminates the microphonics of the stock cable, which is actually made of steel.

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 10
i use my 25-1's regularly. compared to my 595's, they're more 'fun' for metal, as the music has more impact with them. the comfort sort of a hit or miss i guess. they really press on your ears, but after 10 minutes they tend to disappear from my head and get very comfortable. after an hour or 2/3, they tend to get a bit uncomfortable to downright painfull

my hd 25-1's have velour pads, which improved comfort over the stock pleather pads as they don't get as hot, and i've noticed that they form after your ears. replacing the stock cable with the hd 25-13 cable took the edge from the treble, which was my biggest gripe with the headphone SQ-wise.

that said, i only use my 25-1's when portability or isolation are required, or when i feel like rocking out. while perfectly balanced for commuter use, they're too bassy and not refined enough for home use IMO

edit: glasses with straight legs work well with these, just put the legs above the cups. the velour pads and cable cost me about €40 total

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 10
The HD25-1 is pretty impactful as it has good speed. It is not the bassiest phone out there, and the treble can be sibilant and spiked which while not making it sound thin, can take away the 'fatness' of the music sometimes. Nevertheless, rock/metal is tackled perfectly well by the HD25.

As others have said, it can get hot in summer and the stock cable is a noticeable dragger-downer of sound quality, but it also happens to be a superb cable for portable use as it doesn't bind to anything as rubber-coated cables do, it's short, it has a right-angled plug which fits virtually any portable properly and reduces stress placed on the headphone jack.

I've just acquired the AKG K181DJ... and it's my feeling at this point that it is just another phone which doesn't quite measure up to the 25 as a portable phone. As I've said a few times before, the HD25 is not the best sounding phone for $200, far from it. However it is the combination of durability, portability, usability, light weight, isolation and reasonable sound that makes it the top portable headphone for me to date.

One of the also-ran alternatives worthy of mention is the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7. While the HD25 doesn't look too dorky on most heads, it is nevertheless rather 'industrial'. The ES7 is definitely more socially acceptable. I don't find it as comfortable (this is relatively speaking... the HD25-1 start to slightly hurt my ears after a couple of hours and if I wear them continuously, by the 4th hour they have got to come off for the rest of the day) but the sound is milder than the HD25 but is still capable of attacking reasonably when called for, inferior in clarity but still offers decent resolution, and delivers prodigious amounts of bass. Attractive-looking, good fun cans if you don't mind the significantly lessened isolation (I do).

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 10
The HD-25-1 are my main portable can. They are not as comfy as a good circumaural, but they are comfy enough. The isolate well, and they sound very good. But a cable upgrade is almost mandatory to get them to sound their best.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 10
For those who wear glasses or generally not happy with the comfort of their HD25............you should think of re-shaping the headband(s) with some heat application from a hairdryer. It does work .....when they cool they will relax to a state somewhere in between their orig. shape and how you had re-formed them....simply do it again. You can make them every bit as loose or tight as you want them to be.
To amplify prior posts re the Velour earpads (apox. $13 a pair), you will never feel heated as much as with Pleather...... send to Germany for the HD25-13 copper-cored cable (has not been stocked by Senn.USA).

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes, replace the pads and the stock cable. The HD 650 cable fits the HD-25 and you can always shorten it yourself and change out the plug from a 1/4" to a right angle 1/8". I plan on doing that sometime, but I don't really use mine for portable, just for isolated listening. They are quite punchy in the bass, but certainly not bloated or "mushy" sounding. The mid-range is a bit recessed but I confess I've never found them sibilant. May be my hearing, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back