So if the Grado 125i and 225i use the same driver . . .
Jun 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i totally agree, but maybe you need more time to listen to it.
it's not difference like a day and a night..

I've listened to them both since 1996. I think that's enough time..

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 32
I love Grados but think the best deal is to purchase the SR60 and a pair of larger cushions. I don't believe the grill material makes any difference. The larger cushions do.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 32
I did notice a difference between the 60 and the 125, but that difference was slight. I always assumed that difference was due to the different pads. When I listen to the 60 with bowls, there's a striking improvement. I think the 60 with bowls or the quarter mod will save you the price difference in "upgrading" to the 125. Notice that you heard a difference from going from the 80 to 125 (pad to bowl) but not from the 125 to 225 (bowl to bowl).

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #19 of 32
dont sr80s come with bowls?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont sr80s come with bowls?

The old SR80 did the new SR80i doesnt (at least the one i tested didnt) and pictures show it with comfies.

grado_sr80i-400-400.jpg

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #23 of 32
If you're into it, just do what I initially did with Grado... I bought the 125, then woodied it to my specs (Dad is an audio engineer and hobbyist woodworker) and mod them to what you like. I know, many people do not like to modify their cans but if you can't find a difference, buy the cheaper and make it different!

As far as choosing between the two stock, I would still say go for the 125i. If you cannot hear the difference then what does it matter? Really, the only way to tell visually is the button on the side and most people don't even know what a Grado is and allocate the "extra" to your portable rig like you mentioned

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did notice a difference between the 60 and the 125, but that difference was slight. I always assumed that difference was due to the different pads. When I listen to the 60 with bowls, there's a striking improvement. I think the 60 with bowls or the quarter mod will save you the price difference in "upgrading" to the 125. Notice that you heard a difference from going from the 80 to 125 (pad to bowl) but not from the 125 to 225 (bowl to bowl).

the 125is come with pads now.

I seriously think the 225is are not worth the 200 they command. There are better headphones to have at that price and I think I may have overpaid for my 125is but it sounded great and I wanted the Grado experience. Visually, I could've sworn the 125s and 225s have bigger cans than the 60 and 80s. I heard a big difference with that jump. I'll try different bowls and grab my friends 60s pair next time I visit him, I could be wrong after all.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 32
I had a very hard time hearing the difference with back to back listening at the same level from high end (Linn and NAD) receivers. The only difference I heard was that the 225 has much better bass emphasis. Still, I bought the 225...wonder what that says about me?

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless I read this wrong from Grado Labs, Inc. :

Quote:

What does the i stand for in the new SR225i from Grado? Improved, that’s what! Features are the same as the SR125i, new driver, cable and housing designs, but this headphone has an increased rear air flow, utilizes Grado’s larger ear cushion and has closer matched drivers. Air flow is increased by 50% which is achieved through an improved rear metal screen. The use of closer matched drivers and the larger cushions results in an enlarged soundstage, while the improved rear screen frees the headphone from colorations.

I was seriously expecting a night a day difference but I only found that between the 80s and 125s (punchier bass).

I don't know if anyone else pointed it out, but I think you did read it wrong. It says that the features are the same as the SR125i, meaning they also made a change to the driver, cable and housing design. Not that it shares the same driver, cable and housing design as the SR125i. Just wanted to point that out.
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if anyone else pointed it out, but I think you did read it wrong. It says that the features are the same as the SR125i, meaning they also made a change to the driver, cable and housing design. Not that it shares the same driver, cable and housing design as the SR125i. Just wanted to point that out.
wink.gif

Even if that's true, they still don't sound that different from each other and I think the 125i gets an unjustified bad rep on these forums. I read that again, and I still think it could apply to the same meaning I came up with.

I'm going to call out the placebo effect on this one. But that's just my assessment.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #28 of 32
Why are so many people replying with 225 vs 125 comparisons? Roker is talking about the new versions. Is there a thread where someone compares all the "i" models?

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #29 of 32
I'd just like the opportunity to able to audition the GS1000 - even if I didnt like it at all - but I may as well wish for a test drive in a Bugatti Veyron : the GS1000 is just too expensive to take a risk on.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 32
Heard/owned the SR60,80,125,225, they all sound the same to me when using the same pads. 325 sounds different but it's the brightest/harshest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back