So I will need some <£150 IEM's for casual use, got any recommendations?
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how much is that????? 180 quid. Totally out of this guy's price range.

So excluding Westones I think you are left with the following choices; Klipsch Custom 2, X5,X10 or the PFE.

Hmm, I have decided that I'll do some research about the X10's/PFE's and the Q-Jays. They all seem pretty good from reviews/opinions.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #17 of 28
I got some etymotic er4ps for 150
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jynjyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how much is that????? 180 quid. Totally out of this guy's price range.

So excluding Westones I think you are left with the following choices; Klipsch Custom 2, X5,X10 or the PFE.

erm custom 2's are like £67 on amazon, pretty great value buy

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I have decided that I'll do some research about the X10's/PFE's and the Q-Jays. They all seem pretty good from reviews/opinions.

I think a look into the x10 would be good. I have them and have compared them to the PFE and much prefer the x10 for casual, "fun" listening. They are extremely comfortable and provide the perfect sound signature for rock, electronic, and similar types of music.

The PFE outperform with Jazz and classical and are a shade more detailed, but not noticeably unless listening critically.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #20 of 28
I don't recommend the q-jays due to the lack of bass.

X5 is good for highs, X10 for bass. PFE is very balanced. Custom 2 is not bad to be honest.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a look into the x10 would be good. I have them and have compared them to the PFE and much prefer the x10 for casual, "fun" listening. They are extremely comfortable and provide the perfect sound signature for rock, electronic, and similar types of music.

The PFE outperform with Jazz and classical and are a shade more detailed, but not noticeably unless listening critically.

How is the wire coping? As I hear some people have had wire problems (The base of the earpiece itself)

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 28
Most people complained about the wire of the X10 since they wanted it to be something like the customs.

I don't think you should worry about the durability of the X10. I'm just hoping that they are using new materials in production.

Also, Klipsch has a warranty of 1 year and they don't sell replacement tips.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #24 of 28
I had the image x10 (and really liked it), but it did get replaced when the jack connector became damaged and I lost sound from the right channel. If the company I returned it to had still sold them then I would probably have got a straight replacement, but they didn't. So now I have the Etymotic HF5 (~£80). The HF5 has great isolation if you're willing to stick it properly into your ear. The HF5 is also very detailed, but maybe slightly lacking in bass. The cable on the HF5 is miles ahead of the one used by Shure or the one on the Image X10 (I believe the other Klipsch's use different cable). I say this because I get less cable noise from it than I have with either of the others.

If you are looking at the Image X10 here's how I'd summarise my time with it:
  1. Very nice sound (not as detailed as some, but very pleasant)
  2. Cable is slightly too stiff for my taste as it transmits noise and can break the seal if you turn your head
  3. Very comfortable to wear
  4. Great looking (easily the style winner) and comes with some nice accessories
  5. Mine did break (inside warranty), but if I could have had them replaced by my dealer I would have

I can't say too much about the HF5, but so far I'm happy with it. It is about half the price of the X10 and has a totally different sound so might be worth considering if you want a complimentary headphone to the IE8. Although bass might be a bit lacking on the HF5 for your tastes?.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are they like without amps? I'm seeing mixed reviews about the bass overpowering the mids, but some say it doesn't... Need someone to clarifythis for me.

is this for the x10? If so I normally ran mine straight out of a Creative Zen. The bass overpowering the mids wasn't a problem providing they were correctly inserted. If they were too shallow bass was lacking, too deep and it started to dominate, but the sound was always quite pleasant.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this for the x10? If so I normally ran mine straight out of a Creative Zen. The bass overpowering the mids wasn't a problem providing they were correctly inserted. If they were too shallow bass was lacking, too deep and it started to dominate, but the sound was always quite pleasant.

Yes
redface.gif
Forgot to mention that I wanted it to be answered about the X10's. Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 28
I agree with a Shure (SE310 or even the SCL4 if you can find one cheap). Also recommend the Monster Turbine if you can find it in the UK. Very balanced sound without losing details, nice bass slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back