so I WAS thinking about buying a dac/amp... but not sure now. v. iTunes Equalizer
Dec 14, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #106 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by omg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow uh apparently u r not adults at all. plz keep my thread on topic and refarin from speaking about childish topics in this thread. if u would like to chat about cartoons plz visit another website, but i would like to make sure that ppl who r interested in the benefits of itunes equalizer will have a thread to read. thank u.

If I'm not mistaken, you're the one that brought up cartoons in the first place, so maybe you should keep your own threads on topic?

Quote:

duno y u typed all that i dont have time to read it. i rilly do not see how u can say there is no benefit to the iTunes Equalizer, when clearly there is. if u do not like it, do not use it, but do not tell other ppl to automaticaly not use it. telling ppl not to use something simply bcuz u say is not fair. ppl have the right to their own experience and opinion, and to not use something without trying it out is simply ignorants.

I would reply to this, but I can't even figure out what you're saying. Are those supposed to be words? Oh, you must be one of those spammers that send the messages with just a bunch of gibberish to get past the filters.

omg, what's your opinion of video games? How do you feel about Twilight? Harry Potter? Pixar? Happy Meals?

Since I know you'll enjoy it so much, here's a pic for ya.
Birdistheword.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #107 of 121
Quote:

no offense but i am in no way "still learning." as you can see, i registered only 3 months after you and although i may not have as many post, it does not mean i do not knowledgeable. 128 kbps is considered by profesionalls to be one of the highest quality bitrates available. personally i do not listen to inferior formats such as AAC or MP4, especiallly if they are over 128kbps. 128kbps is pretty much the sweet spot in terms of quality anhd size, you do not gain significant quality by increasing bitrate (i've asked my friend this who is a profesionall music producer for numerous famous artists that are played all over the radios). he did tell me, however, that equalizer is one way to increase the quality of your files. he uses an equalizzer all the time in his profession, and no offense but i think i will take his word before yours when it comes to this subject.

OMG OMG, dude, you really have got some learning to do whether you believe it or not. you show me a recording professional who believes that 128kb is one of the most highest quality bitrates available and i'll show you someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. 128kb is only just on the edge of being listen-able with high quality kit. AAC is actually higher quality than MP3 at the same bitrate. an equalizer; especially an additive EQ like you are using (all the presets are additive) does NOT enhance the file at all, in fact it pushes the bands it boosts into clipping. apparently you like distortion; and hey thats cool, whatever floats your boat man, but you should know this. your friend the professional uses an equalizer to boost some frequencies and cut some frequencies so they can all exist in the same space without overlapping each other too much and becoming too hot for the recording. you will find that he applies EQ to the channels separately and then perhaps a master EQ over the whole bus. but NEVER will he intentionally push the levels into clipping unless its for effect and he wants a euphonic distortion on a track; but even this effect will be attenuated so the recording (master bus) is not over saturated. your itunes EQ, is not selective at all, and the presets only boost, they do not take away, so if there is any sound in those bands that is close to being too hot the EQ will push it over the edge into distortion.

so anyway theres that covered; a dac increases the overall quality of the conversion from digital to analogue, it has nothing to do with amping and sorry to the above poster; it has nothing to do with noise either. it has more to do with resolution, so regardless of the fact your grados are going to be fairly well powered by the macbook, the macbook onboard DAC is far from high quality.

I do a bit of music production just for kicks and love a bit of electronica, but never would I use the itunes EQ, buy headphones that give you the bass you want (not something grados are that good at I agree) and if you MUST use the itunes EQ; make your own preset that reduces the bands you want less of, rather than boosting the bands you want more of. or if that doesnt make much sense to you; make the smiley face EQ you were doing and then move ALL the bands down equally

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #108 of 121
Alright, just to give omg a honest try, I took a listen with iTunes and the EQ turned on with my work computer (V2 LAME files, onboard sound, PX100s, can't be possibly worse than what omg has). Played some classical (Carmina Burana) and rock (Hotel California), and all I hear at least with EQ on is distortion, especially in the bass.

I'd like to spend my $400 on a much better setup, thank you very much.

EDIT: Grammar and spelling helps when you're trying to argue a point.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #110 of 121
He won't read through long responses, but he ultimately will. He's a hypocrite and a troll. When you point out his grammar and spelling, it tends to get worse on purpose. STOP feeding it!
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #114 of 121
forumTroll.jpg
Forum_Troll.jpg

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #116 of 121
I still have some lying around somewhere. lol

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #117 of 121
I dont know about anyone else,. but I am REALLY sorry I clicked on the link to this thread. Resurrecting it was a stroke of genius on our troll friend's part, but the rest of us ? When you consider the number of people who come here genuinely looking for help, and get little or none, I have to question whether Head-Fi may have lost its way.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #118 of 121
We have the OP to thank for that. If he was actually serious, this thread would have taken a better turn, but instead it was a troll post turned into a flame war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back