So I was recasing my META42
Mar 1, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
... for the second time. Originally, it was in an ugly Pactec case, then I moved it into a nice Hammond box, big enough for an 8xAA battery pack.. but I ended up never using the battery pack, so I was thinking hey let's put it in a smaller case. Being the unimaginative self I am, I just moved it into a smaller Hammond case I had lying around
rolleyes.gif

Ok, so that's not what I posted about. It'd be a pretty dull post if it was.

Anyway... I noticed that C1 was populated on this amp, and I wondered, hey what's that doing there? *shrug* I guess I musta been worried about DC at the time. So I measure my sources and none of them have any DC (or very negligible amounts) so I go ahead and jumper C1.

And man am I glad. I suppose it's a relatively subtle change, but the bass has a lot more definition and the sound seems a lot more transparent. As if there was something veiling the sound before.

An easy "tweak", "upgrade", whatever... Lesson is DON'T put in input caps unless you really need one.
biggrin.gif
Of course this is somewhat irrelevant now because the "default" PIMETA board has a trace shorting C1, unlike my "obsolete" META42.
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 6
actually, i tried with a pimeta I had, with a WIMA mkp-10, an audyn mkp-qs 630V and nothing.

The wima put indeed a veil on the sound. The audyn wasn't noticeable and since the amp is not for me I didn't want to take a risk. It'll ship with audyn onboard.

I'd have btw a comment on this : the holes for C1 on the pimeta are awfully small. I couldn't fit the leads of my caps and I had to play around with a little knife to make them thinner.

Mar 1, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 6
AGH I could swear I clicked "Edit" instead of "Quote"

Mar 1, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Not yet, but I do plan to have a few sips tonight.
evil_smiley.gif
And the coffee has been severely cut back due to decent coffee costing so much here in the UK! I even brought back a can of coffee the last time I was home. The stuff you get in the supermarkets here is rather rank.
eek.gif

And yeah, those Audyn caps should sound a lot more transparent than the Panasonic ones I had in.

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
...And the coffee has been severely cut back due to decent coffee costing so much here in the UK!...

Well, drink beer - that's what everybody else does!
tongue.gif

/U.

EDIT: Nice to see a cheap amp-upgrade suggestion for once
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back