So I want to learn the bass...
Mar 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mushrooshi

100+ Head-Fier
Well... I kind of want to learn the bass, but I have barely any music experience (I can sort of read sheet music, and I can play the Mortal Kombat theme on my keyboard...)... and after playing the bass on Rockband (strike one) and watching K-ON and Mio-chan (strike two), I kind of want to learn the bass... wat do?

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 10
There are all sorts of books and videos to help you learn. Take a look at YouTube - you sbould find many free lessons and tutorials there.

Besides that, go get a bass and an amp. Commit an hour or two to practice every day and go for it.

You might also want to look at some of the guitar forums.

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
There are all sorts of books and videos to help you learn. Take a look at YouTube - you sbould find many free lessons and tutorials there.

Besides that, go get a bass and an amp. Commit an hour or two to practice every day and go for it.

You might also want to look at some of the guitar forums.

What is the Head-Fi or Overclock.net of guitars and basses?

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Get guitar pro, and a friend/teacher, who can show you the basics. I think if you master the very basic things, you can go on alone + watch video lessons about things you are interested in.
Just dont mess up the very basics, if you get used to amateur bad habits, it wont be easy to correct them.
Last thing: dont save money on an instrument. Cheap (and bad) instruments are often a reason of giving up, so rather spend more cash.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 10
No offense but you want to play the bass guitar because you watch an anime?? LOL!! (No offense, I like anime too!) Anyways, I've heard that bass guitars are very easy to learn and play. However, it is kind of useless because you wont be able to play alone and you should have a band before you start it. I reccomend this because there will be parts in the song that you have to sit, wait and count how many beats you have to wait before you can continue playing which is kind of silly.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 10
First of all, please ignore the guy above me. You don't need a band to play the bass and it is NOT an easy instrument. Sure if you only listen to today's radio friendly music, it may come off as so, but let me assure you the bass is a difficult instrument to learn correctly.

I've played the bass for a good part of my life, both in bands and solo. You should start with a teacher. I say this no matter what instrument you choose only because the first months are vital. It's during that time when you create all your habits and if you learn incorrectly, well it will be much harder to recorver from.

I suggest you check out TalkBass forums. Amazing people there and they can help you find a good teacher close to where you live.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
First of all, please ignore the guy above me. You don't need a band to play the bass and it is NOT an easy instrument. Sure if you only listen to today's radio friendly music, it may come off as so, but let me assure you the bass is a difficult instrument to learn correctly.

I've played the bass for a good part of my life, both in bands and solo. You should start with a teacher. I say this no matter what instrument you choose only because the first months are vital. It's during that time when you create all your habits and if you learn incorrectly, well it will be much harder to recorver from.

I suggest you check out TalkBass forums. Amazing people there and they can help you find a good teacher close to where you live.

Coming from one bassist to another, you pretty much nailed the advice for a beginner SimD.  Talkbass is a great forum with TONS of great resources.  But beware, just like head-fi, you will soon develop a sickening need for cool gear. :)

Who ever said playing bass was easy?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfiYdQcQtc

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Victor Wooten would be another nice example of some bass playing which I surely wouldn't call easy. I agree with SimD that having someone to teach you is the best way to start playing pretty much any intrument. Whether that is an actual (bass) guitar teacher or just a friend who is able to play well. It's easier to keep you motivated that way as well.

Just because the man is great: Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back