So I want to get into classical...
Jul 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
I've always been interested in it. The only classical I have is this:
41QG5CZ027L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So, what else do you suggest for me?

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 20
There are a number of threads about this, but I would say Beethoven's 9th which you have is at the pinnacle, and I would go for Bach's mass in B minor which some say is the best music ever written.

Grab some of Mozart's piano concertos (my favorite is K.466), and then go wherever you want from there.

One thing that helps is to read a lot about it. Read about the forms and what is going on in the music. That should help you appreciate it more.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm a big fan of a lot of the Romantic era composers. Chopin's Piano Concerto no. 1 is fantastic. Brahms 4th symphony is a good place to start (especially if you like Yes/Rick Wakeman). Mendelssohn is good. I don't really even know that much about classical, but I enjoy all of those.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 20
I've been into classical since childhood (big thanks to my aunt and uncle, and Mr. Williams, the band teacher) but I've picked this book up and found it useful:

AP1845.bmp

NPR also put out a nice curious listener's guide to jazz - which I found very helpful when I got into the genre about three years ago.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been into classical since childhood (big thanks to my aunt and uncle, and Mr. Williams, the band teacher) but I've picked this book up and found it useful:

AP1845.bmp

NPR also put out a nice curious listener's guide to jazz - which I found very helpful when I got into the genre about three years ago.

Where can I get my hands on both of those books?

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 20
If you generally like what you get with the Solti set, I highly recommend you to upgrade to a better Beethoven set. Solti's set isn't that bad but there's far better Beethoven sets out there. Check out this thread for more recommendations:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/bee...phonies-77383/

Then you can check out Beethoven's Piano Sonata:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/bee...ight=beethoven

Then after that you can check out Bach, Schubert, Tchaikovsky and Mozart, composers which are relatively accessible. If you become a big Beethoven fan you can check out more of his stuff, especially his string quartets. Then you can move on to the more challenging composers, like Verdi, Chopin, Mahler etc.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been interested in it. The only classical I have is this:
41QG5CZ027L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So, what else do you suggest for me?

oh. thats a good start! i used the 9th when the frustration and exchaustion started at spring exam sessions. i took the key to the dance hall (big speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
) and turned the volume up... whoa!

But try Medtner. He's got some very beautiful pieces for piano and also very clever and interesting works for piano and orchestra.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 20
Start with the 5th and 9th Beethoven symphonies you already own. Then go to the local library and borrow Dvorak's 9th symphony, Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Piano concerto, and Violin Concerto, Bach's Brandenberg Concerti, Mass in b minor, Mozart's 40/41 symphonies, Requiem. All easy to like. Agree w/ uncle erik's book recommendation, also consider the Penguin Guide down the road if you get serious. Have fun!

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 20
I've recently started getting into classical as well. I'm actually not a huge Beethoven fan so far. Here's my suggestions for interesting music:

Mozart - 38th and 39th Symphonies
Moussourgsky - Pictures at an exhibition
Holst - The Planets
Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade
Mendelssohn - A midsummer night's dream
Tchaikovsky - 1812

Getting good performances is important and its fun hearing different takes on the same music. There's some pieces I never liked until I heard the right performance. Definately worth doing some research here before buying
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 20
excellent site for the classical neophyte: link.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 20
oddly enough the Solti set you display was one of my first classical purchases as well......I'll be frank and say I don't think that he performs a single symphony particularly well in that set, with a slight exception being the 3rd which comes off especially grand due to a very broad tempo. Sonically I find the set reference quality and I still listen to it for that purpose.

If you are a fan of Solti's approach to Beethoven, then I just know that Bruckner is going to be your next step.....essentially Bruckner is a hybrid of Wagner and Beethoven, but certainly more Wagnerian. Solti's specialty was Wagner. He's almost pigeonholed as a Wagner conductor because of just how essential his Ring Cycle was (the first stereo studio recording and without question the most famous version of the piece and biggest selling album of classical music).......

I would look into Gunter Wand's recording of the 7th, 8th and 9th symphonies on RCA.

I also think a purchase of Bach's music is pivotal. If you like the orchestral sound then try the Brandenburg Concertos as performed by Tafelmusik. But I feel Bach's greatest achievement is the Goldberg Variations and Well Tempered Clavier. IF you would like to hear these works on piano as opposed to the original intended instrument (harpsichord) try Angela Hewitt or my favorite for the Goldbergs, Murray Perahia. If you would like to hear it on harpsichord definitely go with Trevor Pinnock as a first choice........

Robm mentions the B Minor Mass and I have to agree in this....I personally prefer instrumental music to choral, but the piece itself is essential, should be in anyone's first 20 or so classical purchases. Elliott Gardiner does a very fine version, so does Philippe Hereweghe.

I think Brahms is a composer whose symphonies are as brilliant as Beethoven's without the prospect of being innovative. A great starting set to hear what Brahms is about is the Karajan cycle on DG on 2 cds. I, however think that Brahms piano concerti are his greatest works.....without question my most often played CD of all classical cds (this includes Mahler who is my favorite) is the Emil Gilels & Eugen Jochum pairing of both of Brahms' Piano Concertos. Simply the best performed and one of the best sounding CDs in my collection despite it being a 1970s recording.

Schubert is always a special comparative listen to Beethoven. Schubert idolized Beethoven, and their lives ended essentially simultaneously despite Schubert being 27 years younger. Schubert, even more than Beethoven is the bridge between classical and romantic music. He is Wordsworth to Beethoven's William Blake....Try his String Quartet "Death And The Maiden" performed by the Takacs quartet

and of course Mozart......can't make a list of essentials without Mozart. Sometimes I view Mozart as water. He's the most essential of all, but easy to get bored with. His music is perfection, but sometimes you miss the eccentricities or in the case of water, the flavor of other composers. I am a huge fan of Mozart, and in fact I own more CDs by him than I do any other composer aside from Bach and Beethoven. But I truly don't know how to begin a recommendation into Mozart because I truly believe that his best work was his operas. But at the same time, I don't think listening to Don Giovanni or Figaro is the best way to learn his music for the first time. The piano concertos have already been mentioned, I would add the clarinet concerto which I feel is the most wonderful concerto he ever wrote, and the best concerto ever written for a wind instrument. Check out Thea King's recording on Hyperion

-Dave

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 20
I'm new into classical too,and i bought the beethoven symphonies 5&7 by carlos kleiber-Vienna philarmonic.
The next purchase for me will be the moonlight sonata,do you think the alfrend brendel is a good one on this.
And please give me a recommendation for the "fur elise".I'm thinking to go to the stores today and pick up these two.I would greatly appreciate if you give me recommendations about these two:moonlight sonata/fur elise

Also some recommendations for classical music which is a bit relaxing,emotional,maybe a bit melancholic,without vocals and without too much dynamic changes,something with the mood of that era and easy to listen too.(maybe something before beethoven?)

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a fan of Solti's approach to Beethoven, then I just know that Bruckner is going to be your next step.....essentially Bruckner is a hybrid of Wagner and Beethoven, but certainly more Wagnerian.

Actually, I think it's more accurate to say that Bruckner is a hybrid of Wagner and Brahms, which makes his music interesting. But he is more draggy and long winded than both of them combined, so I wouldn't recommend him for a beginner to classical music. And you forget to mention Tchaikovsky, one of the most accessible composers out there.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think it's more accurate to say that Bruckner is a hybrid of Wagner and Brahms, which makes his music interesting. But he is more draggy and long winded than both of them combined, so I wouldn't recommend him for a beginner to classical music. And you forget to mention Tchaikovsky, one of the most accessible composers out there.

should i be apologetic:) j/k My point was that if he likes Solti's performance of the Beethoven 9th, then he may very well like Bruckner's music, because Solti's performances of Beethoven come off very Brucknerian.

With regards to Tchaikovsky, I didn't intentionally leave him out, and he would be amongst my first recommendations to a newcomer of classical music, but I was very focused on the Austro-German style in my post......With the exception of Bruckner who I was advising on the premise of his Solti set.......I really do feel that Brahms, Mozart, Bach and Schubert are very important starting points for any classical music listener.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back