So I thought I would get the Denon AH-D2000...
May 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. Amp tweaking is a minor thing compared to getting the right 'phone. The DT990 were quality cans when I tried one at the shop, I think the receiver will be fine.

I'm totally lost with the variants of the Beyer headphones. The DT990 has two listings on Amazon UK (Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Headset: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium Edition HiFi Headphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo) with a pretty huge price difference. The first pair are within my range, the other pair are out of it.

What is the difference between the pro and premium? Do you get different impedances for the pro and premium, e.g. are there 80, 250 and 600 variants of the pro, and 80, 250 and 600 variants of the premium?

It's all very confusing
frown.gif

EDIT: plonter, how would you compare the HD650s with the D2000s?

May 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's +8 differents models of DT770, might wanna refine your statement...and I hope you're not calling the 770Pro's "neutral".

I meant the 770/600 2005 Premium editions.

May 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 45
Think of the Denon as more of a semi-open headphone than a closed headphone. They offer only moderate isolation for both sound leaking in or out. People near you can hear what you are listening to. You'll get to hear external noises. Not what you want on a train. If you have people near you at the office they might not appreciate your tunes leaking out.

I like the D2000. It has become my primary headphone. I use it more than my Sennheiser HD600. For me the D2000 is a fun headphone. Not boring at all. I listen to all sorts of different types of music with it. Classical, jazz, blues, rock, heavy metal, pipe organ. Did I mention that pipe organ is really neat on the Denon?
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound does have a slightly closed feel and sound. But for a closed headphone its sound is also nicely open. To me the level of bass with the D2000 is just right. Full range speakers have bass. Headphones should too.

I do EQ them to fix some of the recessed midrange. I bump up the midrange using a parametric EQ plug-in in either Foobar or J River Media Center. If I didn't have the EQ option I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about the D2000. I'd still like them, just not as much. Some music needs the EQ, some music doesn't. With some music it makes littler difference either way.

Regarding Beyers. The Beyers I've sampled have not agreed with me. They've got rip your ears off highs in the cymbals for rock type music. Ouch my ears. I've tried the DT900 600 ohm at a local meet and a DT770 at a shop. Both brief listens but that was all I could manage. Both times from reasonably good amps that aren't harsh or hyped in the highs. I don't know what it would take to tame them. Obviously not my cup of tea. Others get along just fine with them and like them. YMMV

May 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #19 of 45
Thanks for the help Ham, a very informative post.

After weighing things up, I've decided I'll just use these headphones for home/desk use. This opens up more possibilities (namely open headphones). How would you compare the D2000s to your HD600s? I tried the 650s in an airport about a year ago, and I remember enjoying them very much, even if they were hooked up to some godawful music.

May 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 45
Maybe my head is shaped funny, but I just don't get the D2000 as a "bass monster" talk. I mean, the DT770/80 Pro is a bass monster with a hyped up low end that is moderately undefined at times. The D2000 is really strong on the lower end of the bass spectrum, but it is a nice, clean bass. Just listen to "Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black" by Public Enemy. That is some clean sounding bass! IMHO, of course.

The mids - mainly higher male vocals - are slightly recessed, but not terribly annoying. If it bugs you, the EQ is your friend. It is a simple tweaking that you can pretty much set and forget.

Remember, this place is bad for "flavor of the month hype," but it is just as bad for "contra flavor of the month unhype." Let your ears be your guide.

May 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 45
I would say the D2000 has very good bass but it is no treble monster (as my RE0 is, for one). As others have said, the mids don't bother me (and in particular, I don't feel like male vocals are recessed, I would rather describe them as being forward even - maybe compared to the rest of the mids, not sure) but if you want more mids, that's easily fixed by some eqing.

They don't isolate very well but I haven't heard any complaints about them leaking sound. They are definitely no travel phones, though. I still think IEMs can't be beat for that. I would even find the MDR-V6 to be rather annoying on trips, simply because its two order of magnitude large than an IEM...

May 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 45
Thanks buz. Having read some more topics and threads, I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon AH-D2000 and the Sennheiser HD650. Obviously both very different headphones.

Can anyone who has experience with both of them give their opinions on how the two differ, and what they handle better? Which will be easier to drive? I think my Cambridge 640A should have enough juice to power either...

May 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 45
There both great cans but as far as sound quality I would have to give the nod to the Sennheiser HD650. The 650 is going to need a good amp to get the most out of it though where the d2000 is easy to drive and sounds good without an amp. There will be improvment with a amp however. The dt 770 arent neutral and they also have recessed mids or maybe it sounds that way because the bass and highs are so hot.

May 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 45
I have a big head, so the Senns are pretty strong clamping. The D2000 are comfy, but the king of comfort for me is the DT880. The K601 is OK, too, but the headband sometimes bothers the knot on the top of my big melon. DT770 is comfy, too, but for some reason the DT880 feels lighter and more comfortable.

May 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #26 of 45
I have a skinny head so neither bother me, but I would think the d2000 are more comfortable.

May 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant the 770/600 2005 Premium editions.

ok, my bad! coz I've read some ppl saying that the Pro/80 was perfectly flat to their ears....eeeek
biggrin.gif

well, we all hear differently, use different sources, have different tastes and expectations...I bought a Pro750 after reading all the hype on the forum, hahahah..I returned it the next day.

May 1, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who don't have a problem with the denon mids?? I think they pretty much go well with the rest of the sound...but that's me.

No sir! I think they are perfectly fine, and do suit the rest of the sound....

The mids of the D7000 might be a tad recessed... but not concave like many people seem to insist... I mean it is really only noticeable when I compare them with my AT that have a somewhat bloomed mid...

May 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks King. Out of the two, which do you find the most comfortable? I want to be able to forget I have them mounted on my head.

D2000 and its not even close.

seinheisers and beyers have a noticeable clamping force...whereas the denons have very little clamping.

some actually complain that the denons are too loose for their heads but for those of us who do not have smaller heads, its perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back