So I thought I would get the Denon AH-D2000...
May 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

KayoDot

100+ Head-Fier
I've been scouring the forums, dredging up topics from quite a while back, and thought the Denon D2000 were the right headphones for me. However I just saw these few posts, which are making me have my doubts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 is a massively overrated headphone, probably the worst 'mid-fi' headphone I've heard. Save yourself some money and buy the $33 RX700 if your looking for bass oomph and an overall laid back sound. I don't know why everyone recommends it, kinda getting on my nerves now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the impression that the D2000 somewhat sucks. The only headphone I know that can be boring and annoying at the same time.

Finding a successor with strong bass and more virtues is quite a problem though, the D2000 is to be regarded rather as a good example. For some strange reasons, most "bass cans" suck severely, the mids are recessed or heavily coloured, the only exception to this rule I ever experienced is the Ultrasone Ed9, which is waaay to expensive.

My setup is currently what it says in my signature. I'll be using these with my desktop setup. The amplifier has a Class A Headphone Amplifier, which I believe provides enough power.

In the past I've used Sennheiser HD595s, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Alessandro MS-1s, but have sold each of them. I was happy with the 595s, the Alessandros were good too, and the HD25s really didn't get much use.

After weighing things up, I've decided I'll just use these headphones for home/desk use. This opens up more possibilities (namely open headphones). How would you compare the D2000s to your HD600/650s? I tried the 650s in an airport about a year ago, and I remember enjoying them very much, even if they were hooked up to some godawful music.

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones, as I will also be using these on long train journeys quite regularly (~once a month) as well as listening to my music at night. Budget is around £200. They also need to be versatile, as I listen to all music ever created. Yes, even Merzbow.

So far I've looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770, 880 and 990 (ignore whichever one is open). General consensus seems to be that the 600ohm ones are the best way to go. I have no idea where to find these though. There are two of each model (it seems) listed on Amazon. (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO Headset: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium Edition HiFi Headphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo)

and then I've looked at the Denons, but the two posts I've quoted have irked me, I know how susceptible people are to hype, and I just hope the D2000s aren't massively, massively overhyped.

Cheers!

May 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 45
2 posts. Try to count all the good reviews of D2000. Hearing is different from individual to individual so you should try it before you decide.

May 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 45
Merzbow and Boris sound fine on the D2000's. The extremely high resolution of these phones benefits music with complex harmonic structures, perhaps especially abstract noise music
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 45
Yeah... I would disregard those comments largely... many people go so far as to say it is the best headphone in it's price range...

Just because people don't like their low end to be audible doesn't make them bad headphones. I have a pair of D7000 and I will eventually get a pair of D2000 as a "beat around pair" because I think they are that good...

The construction quality isn't the best, but the sound is really top notch...

If you are used to closed headphones they will be perfect.... If you are used to open headphones, they might take some getting used to. Plus, if you REALLY have to, you could always mod them.

Also depends what you listen to really.

May 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 45
The Denon headphones offer like no isolation FYI and for the 600 ohm beyers, they are supposedly the best... but how do you plan on powering them on the go???

Also, from what I have read, I would imagine the D2000 are considerably better than the DT770.

Look at what headroom says about them too... nothing but positive ranting.

May 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 45
Well I was half-joking with the Merzbow comment. It's just that what I listen to comes round in cycles. At the moment I'm listening almost exclusively to Dubstep (along the lines of Burial, Clubroot etc., none of that wobble nonsense), but this will most definitely change in time.

May 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 45
I bougth the Denon D2000, connected to a lake people G100, and even if I like its sound (great bass), I couldn't keep it because the reproduction of the vocal.
Voices seems not as textured as I would like. Too soft, not realistic.

So only for music or effects, it's perfect.

May 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 45
I'm quite 'meh' about the D5000. Can see the potential but the bass is a bit too much, can't stand recessed mids. Everyone will have different opinions, that's okay.

But I would find them a bit bulky for traveling. I'd personally stick with upgrading the IEMs, or getting one of the Audio Technica ES/ESW line or maybe the new porta Beyers if they're any good. These will probably sound better without a dedicated amp too, if my experience with counts (ESW10JN, D5000).

May 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 45
Well the trouble is I'll only be travelling 2 days out of the month (2 x 5hour train journeys), the rest of the time I'll be using at my desk, in my room, hooked up to my amp & turntable. I suppose I could forego the need for closed headphones, and just use my IEMs when travelling...

Is that a game changer? Should I maybe look at HD600/650s if I don't need them to be closed?

May 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 45
DT770 might suit you the best

It's very neutral and possess great traits from its older 880/990 brothers. Might not possess the fast paced bass that the denon's provide, but for $199, it's a bargain IMO

just need to get a tube amp to get the party started
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 45
Meh. Amp tweaking is a minor thing compared to getting the right 'phone. The DT990 were quality cans when I tried one at the shop, I think the receiver will be fine.

May 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 might suit you the best

It's very neutral

there's +8 differents models of DT770, might wanna refine your statement...and I hope you're not calling the 770Pro's "neutral".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back