So I needed a headphone stand....
Jun 25, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 38
Beautiful work man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Kinda makes me want to try my hand at something like that as well.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who would've loved to see the copper be polished instead of painted? Actually, I think it would've looked the best as you had it in one of the pictures, most of it painted but with the ends polished (and without the wood).

I like wood, but feel it's a bit played out in headphone stands. Nice work all the same, and I'm sure it looks even better in person. Matches the Grados well, that's for sure.

I love shiny things as much as the next person but I don't think it would have matched his headphones as well as it does.

Which brings me to another question:

If you were going to paint it, why not use something cheaper like PVC piping?

Edit: Now that I think about it, the joints probably wouldn't be as flush.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #19 of 38
Looks terrific! Very cool. That is an awesome headphone collection as well! I really like the look of black metal and wood. I have a Salamander Designs home theater cabinet that uses a similar color scheme. So I definitely appreciate what you've done here.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 38
I notice you still have a few bars left to add some Audio Technicas ...

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #22 of 38
Wow, nice job!

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Very impressive; I was speechless the whole time I followed the pics.

You have a beautiful house too.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #24 of 38
Beautiful work!
smily_headphones1.gif

That stand can certainly take a lot of 'phones...

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #26 of 38
looks like sewage pipes inspired art there...

with the wannabe exotic feel with the chipwood materials...

anyway, most headphone stands i see are ugly, exception to the aluminium one from woo, so i guess yours is like the rest.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 38
Nicely done!

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #28 of 38
That stand is awesome, good work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like sewage pipes inspired art there...

with the wannabe exotic feel with the chipwood materials...

anyway, most headphone stands i see are ugly, exception to the aluminium one from woo, so i guess yours is like the rest.

You sound like a real fun guy.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who would've loved to see the copper be polished instead of painted? Actually, I think it would've looked the best as you had it in one of the pictures, most of it painted but with the ends polished (and without the wood).

I like wood, but feel it's a bit played out in headphone stands. Nice work all the same, and I'm sure it looks even better in person. Matches the Grados well, that's for sure.

You know, I thought about it, but by that point I was already committed. And I'm not really so sure how the copper would go in my listening area - its'a all cherry, carpet and leather and I wanted to have some wood to make it look a bit less contemporary. But a minimalist uncapped finish could look nice and be easily achieved with these kinds of materials....

Joe S

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcoreckn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love shiny things as much as the next person but I don't think it would have matched his headphones as well as it does.

Which brings me to another question:

If you were going to paint it, why not use something cheaper like PVC piping?

Edit: Now that I think about it, the joints probably wouldn't be as flush.

I actually looked at PVC as my starting point, but as you say - it's thick and the joints are very obvious. The other things is that unless you cut the PVC pipe at angles and glue / reinforce where you join it (and I just don't have the tools for that) you have to use PVC pipe fittings. And PVC 90 degree and T fittings tend to have lots of molded in numbers and flanges on their ends. It just wouldn't have looked very clean.

Another concern on a taller stand is that the stiffness of PVC is not as great. Unless you go really large diameter it can flex and I was afaraid it might lean slightly...

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back