So I need a good sound card (for music, mainly)
Jun 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TerraEpon

New Head-Fier
So I got a new computer. I use Sennheiser 595s, and my old computer had an Audigy 2 which of course doesn't fit in my PCI-Express only slots...
The Realtek onboard audio on the new one, as many probably know, sucks. At first I thought it was just quiet, but after trying a sound booster I find the quality is not as good as it seemed at first with bad stereo seperation....but anyway.

I figure I might as go all out, but I'm a little weary. Is the ASUS Xonar Essence STX really worth it? I'm especially interested in the fact there's mention of headphone amp on it -- I've never been satisfied with the power/volume of my old card, and the Realtek is just horrid that even a 'loudness war' trashed track can't be juiced up.

So I guess I'm asking, what's the best deal? is it worth the extra $85 or so?
Asus Xonar cards in general seem to get good reactions here, but there's also the Creative X-Fi to consider.

I'd love to listen to music in great quality, but I'm a bit worried that the extra money won't make any actual audible difference.

So...thoughts?

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
It would cost a bit more but a mid range DAC / amp combo would make more sense to me.

Maybe something like a nuForce Icon, or Firestone Fubar.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Try searching for the Auzentech and HT Omega Claro sound cards.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 10
If you want it mainly for music listening, then Asus xonar essense stx is recommanded! Pretty excellent sound quality.

BTW, you still need a pair of good headphone to fit this card.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 10
If you're looking for a sound card specifically and not any other components, the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music has never disappointed me. It's a great value. Good sound for a decent price. Just my .02

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 10
It's an old question in this forum, but the answer is always the same to me.
Having been a Creative cards user for almost 8 years, I've never realized that a PC could sound so good until I installed my Xonar Essence STX on my PC.
It's really night and day to me.
Well, it's also my .02

:)

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
It's an old question in this forum, but the answer is always the same to me.
Having been a Creative cards user for almost 8 years, I've never realized that a PC could sound so good until I installed my Xonar Essence STX on my PC.
It's really night and day to me.
Well, it's also my .02

:)

I agree. I absolutely love my STX. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Have you considered waiting a bit and getting the Headstage USB DAC stick when it comes out? It's an external soundcard, but it also has a nice hardware crossfeed and bass boost. And it will power up to 320 ohm headphones.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 10
I have the ASUS Xonar Essence STX.  I use it with my Triports.  It uses very nice components and has improved the bass a lot compared to my old Sound Blaster Live Value.  You'll need a molex connection from your PSU to it, as it uses that for the headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back