So I made some food today.
Jul 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 62
I swear, if I have to eat another foam at any restaurant, I may go on a shooting spree. There is only so much flavored air I can eat, and that number has been reached for the rest of my life. It is time for the culinary world to MOVE ON!!!

The plating is a bit antiquated, the spoon-drag-through-sauce-blot smear is definitely getting on my nerves too. However, I can let that slide, due to your absolutely lovely free-form radish salad - way too often, chefs run to grab their ring molds.

I do love the port/pork combo, I dont think that pairing will ever get old
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you have to admit, there's at least one thing on that site that you'd like to try...

I decided to keep going through the site to see...

http://5.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19o...19Y1o1_500.jpg
Fluffernutterbutter Sandwich
A grilled peanut butter, Marshmallow Fluff and Nutella sandwich.
I'd be willing to try this. The bread doesn't look too greasy.

http://18.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19...jny0o1_500.jpg
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
If they used more tasteful cones (the ones that are actually shaped like cones) I'd definitely try one of these on a special occasion.

http://6.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19m...6Vtso1_500.jpg
Cheeseburger Waffles
Perhaps? It seems decent enough of the waffle is crispy. Looks like there's way too much cheese though.

http://15.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19...8o1_r1_500.jpg
Horseshoe Sandwich
Two pieces of toast topped with two hamburger patties with cheese and then covered with fries.
Pretty similar to the previous one. Once again looks like there's too much cheese unfortunately.

Sorry for going off topic I will leave.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear, if I have to eat another foam at any restaurant, I may go on a shooting spree. There is only so much flavored air I can eat, and that number has been reached for the rest of my life. It is time for the culinary world to MOVE ON!!!

The plating is a bit antiquated, the spoon-drag-through-sauce-blot smear is definitely getting on my nerves too. However, I can let that slide, due to your absolutely lovely free-form radish salad - way too often, chefs run to grab their ring molds.

I do love the port/pork combo, I dont think that pairing will ever get old
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to hear. I honestly dislike the spoon smear aswell and do think it's old, but so are dots. There are only so many ways you can present a puree
biggrin.gif

I do think that airs are already "old", however it's a technique I have always wanted to try (and finally can thanks to the texturas mini-set), also I think they work well to add a subtle taste. However I respect and understand your opinion. Hopefully once I'm a ready chef I'll have the skills and creativity to invent something new. Personally I really love the plating at restaurant Routa -> Restaurant Routa . Alinea is also extremely nice.

What did you think about the idea of combining the rosemary jelly cube with the apricot/root cellery/rosemary pureé? The taste actually worked really well. (in the pork dish)

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 62
I want that mushroom soup! Excellent work, and I like the presentation, even if the portions are not human-sized.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: Looks quite nice, congrats.

As for everybody else, what is this world coming to? Is culture and the desire for good food a part of a dying breed? Sheesh.

No; it's the small things on small plates with little dabs of sauces.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to hear. I honestly dislike the spoon smear aswell and do think it's old, but so are dots. There are only so many ways you can present a puree
biggrin.gif

I do think that airs are already "old", however it's a technique I have always wanted to try (and finally can thanks to the texturas mini-set), also I think they work well to add a subtle taste. However I respect and understand your opinion. Hopefully once I'm a ready chef I'll have the skills and creativity to invent something new. Personally I really love the plating at restaurant Routa -> Restaurant Routa . Alinea is also extremely nice.

What did you think about the idea of combining the rosemary jelly cube with the apricot/root cellery/rosemary pureé? The taste actually worked really well. (in the pork dish)

Alinea was the first "progressive cuisine" restaurant I ever dined at - I liked it so much, I have already made another reservation for this August when I will again be visiting Chicago
smily_headphones1.gif
Going for the full 24 courses this time around
biggrin.gif
The platings are really fun, especially this one dish I recall that was served on a pillow that slowly deflated as you ate, releasing the aroma of lavender.

Apricot/Celery/Rosemary is intriguing to say the least
smily_headphones1.gif
It actually does not sound all that bad - and in fact, jelly was probably the best way to present the rosemary, since the celery no doubt is adding plenty of woodiness by itself! I would say that, if it does indeed taste good, that this was very well thought-out, and shows excellent control over the subtler aspects of the overall presentation.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I can get full from the artsy culinary stuff. Cost a lot of money to make and only small volume?

ud be very surprised how full you are after 6 courses of that size... plus a glass of wine with each
biggrin.gif
not to mention amuses and bread

if you want to get really full for cheap, there is always the all-you-can-eat buffet :p but none of them can make a perfect chiboust

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #28 of 62
OP, you are clearly an artist. That culinary school tuition was money well spent.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is why you're fat...
That stuff looks disgusting
frown.gif

http://2.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19p...8KwQo1_500.jpg
This looks like the first bite or two would taste decent.

http://22.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19...9o1_r1_500.jpg
I thought this looked decent too until I realized it was between two DOUGHNUTS.

http://1.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19m...eog8o1_500.jpg
The website is lying to you. This is vomit.

I'd better stop before I lose my appetite.

This stuff looks good to me.

You guys are making me hungry, a Wendys double hamburger with ketchep mustard and pickle sounds good just now.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudeRaines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This stuff looks good to me.

You guys are making me hungry, a Wendys double hamburger with ketchep mustard and pickle sounds good just now.

The 2nd pic looks OK, honestly, just a bit big. The other two...wow, and not a good wow. Sugars and fats don't make good food. In-season vegetables make good food
wink.gif

I can't imagine wanting something from Wendy's, though. If I could get decent pork at this hour, I'd whip up some hot soba noodle soup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back