...so I made a leap of faith today
Mar 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
so..recently, I have been thinking about getting something new headphone for my setup. I'm not saying I'm tired of my K701, but I could use some bass. So I went about with my research and found that Ultrasone and Beyers are somewhat in my budget. I was thinking the Pro 2500, 990, and HD650, so the budget was maybe about....under 400 or so. Also, it was only a thought, I wasn't positively sure that I was ready to buy a new headphone anytime soon. ..... until today....

So, having some free time to roam around the city checking out stuff, a friend of mine recommended me to check out the store which he had brought 20K worth of audio equipment and I said "sure, why not". So, right at the start I asked the guy if he has any Ultrasone and he replies, "...never heard of them." and then... I was like...."uhhh....really?..." surprise that he never heard of them. Anyways, I then asked him what brands he has and he said that he only carry Grado and Sennheiser. At first, they weren't exactly the brands that I was considering in the beginning, but I thought since I was already there, I'll grab whatever new info I could. I asked him what I was looking for, something that sounds amazing in the the highs and yet it has great bass response. He tells me about the RS-1, he said that he can give me a discount because of my buddy, which total out to be $600, which is a pretty good deal considering it's brand new.....so I thought about it for a while...and then I ask him...."what can you do for me about the price for the GS-1000?"...he turns away and works with his calculator..."um....how does $860 sound?"....it was like the hardest decision I had in a while.....but then I said...."well, thank you very much, but I'm going to have to think about it..."....so I walked out.

....on my way towards my car, I thought, "....their Grado's flagship headphones, great for rock, great bass, just what you're looking for...and he's giving you such a good deal"......I turned around and dashed back to the store...and I ordered them without any hesitation.

Rethinking about what happened today, I feel I jumped on this one way too fast. I don't know...I walked in the store with a budget of about $400 and walked out spending almost $1000...also I have never tried these so I don't know how they sound, I know it's important to try headphones before you buy them. So right now.. I am anxiously waiting for the new headphone, the store had to order them from Grado, takes 2 weeks. Any GS-1000 owners have any insights for me?....Break-in time?

PS. sorry for the long read
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 15
The Grado sound is quite subjective, in my opinion.

I personally disliked them. I tried the 325s and did not like them, so I tried the GS1000, as you mentioned the flagship, and did not like them. I am done with the brand.

That is personal preference. I bought mine new / used so I did not lose much. What I did not like was the spatial indiscrimination with gaming (known) and ear fatigue (did not expect that one). I liked the comfort.

Good luck! Impulsive buys are such.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rethinking about what happened today, I feel I jumped on this one way too fast. I don't know...I walked in the store with a budget of about $400 and walked out spending almost $1000...also I have never tried these so I don't know how they sound, I know it's important to try headphones before you buy them. So right now.. I am anxiously waiting for the new headphone, the store had to order them from Grado, takes 2 weeks.

Wait, there's another way of shopping around here than in the end spending over twice your budget?
wink.gif

The GS1Ks are beautiful, underrated around these parts, finicky phones. While sharing many traits with the other Grados, they are justifiably called 'unGrados' and especially in the midrange and soundstage are quite different. For those of us who aren't necessarily Grado fans, this is a plus. The trick is proper amplification to counter-act a bit of a recessive mid-range. I can't tell what you're using this with, but there are plenty of theads out there with suggestions. It is though a wonderful phone that's completely worth trying and then building a system around.

Plus you got a good price you can recover if you don't like.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 15
Give them a listen before you do anything else. I've been nervous about big purchases, too, but that went away after I started using it.

What are you going to amp them with?

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 15
I think I'm the only one, but I always felt the GS-1000s were like the K701s except with extra levels of detail revealed and extra life added. I owned both for quite awhile and sadly let the K701s go.

The GS-1000s were much preferred - and that's whithout ideal amplification. Amped right, they can really become elite.

Good luck and you can always sell if you don't like them. But let them burn in before making critical judgement.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm planning to use the GS-1000 for classic rock and classical.

As for the amp, I'm thinking the RA-1 from Grado themselves. Should I consider something else?

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 15
I am sure the Grado sounds great, but boy are they ugly headphone. On the other hand, the sound is the most important so I guess that don't matter. Just think you only spend $860 your friend spent $20k.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure the Grado sounds great, but boy are they ugly headphone.

Funny, I think the GS1000 is one of the most beautiful phones out there. At least sitting on a stand or table. On your head, well...

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I think the GS1000 is one of the most beautiful phones out there. At least sitting on a stand or table. On your head, well...

Funny, I must also agree. I have always loved the wood design on the Grados.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 15
I loved my GS 1000. I bought it with black dragon recable. I bought it cold just like you without audition. Right now it is my favorite phone, good sound stage, lively, enjoyable and it is worth that much more than my HD600.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved my GS 1000. I bought it with black dragon recable. I bought it cold just like you without audition. Right now it is my favorite phone, good sound stage, lively, enjoyable and it is worth that much more than my HD600.

What did you amp it with? And what was your burn-in time?

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #13 of 15
I have to say, they look like they make you an alien, but they are beauties.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 15
I bought my GS1000 without trying them first and I was blown away. To me they are in a completely different league compared to headphones such as HD650.

But as blessingsx said - they are very picky with source material and amplification. With some recordings you may experience brightness, but to me, this hasn't really been an issue. But get a good amp and source and you'll probably find yourself not wanting to take them off for many hours.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you amp it with? And what was your burn-in time?

My home rig is the headroom Ultra Amp/Dac, and my portable is RSA Predator. The GS1000 sounded excelllent on both set up. I am totally surprised that the predator can drive it so easily and well. With the Black Dragon recable, I felt it sounded good right from the beginning without too much harshness and graininess that most new hp has. It has over two hundred hours on it now and it is smooth and very enjoable. It does has some brightness in the treble range when it is present in the source materials because it is not present in all materials. I have just bought the Ultrasone HFI-780 with alo-Jena Lab 18g recable, right out of the box, it sounded much more grainy, bright, and harsh. I am in the process of burning it in and at 30 hours, it is still not close to the GS 1000 (close in terms of sound refinement). The GS 1000 sound just has a very delicate, refine sense to it. It sounded like what a flagship headphone should sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back