So, I just picked up a copy of Thriller...
Mar 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
and my wife is now looking at me funny.

She just doesn't understand. This album sounds so good on my rig.

Give a little love to Thriller so I don't feel oh so alone...

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 32
My roommate usually gives me a funny look when he hears billy jean leaking through my senns. I understand completely.

The Girl is Mine gets skipped almost every time I listen. The rest is fantastic though.

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 32
Which version of Thriller did you get? The original, remastered, or the recent remastered and remixed?

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 32
I have Thriller and Off The Wall, feel better yet? lol

Either way who cares? You like what you like, I'm sure your wife listens to far gayer music at times, and if so, who cares, she likes what she likes.

If EVERYONE in the world liked the album Thriller, now that would be creepier than M.J. himself. lol

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 32
This thread just goes to show what makes a bajillion-selling album... 10 minutes after reading this thread, a co-worker and I were talking about his son loving Weird Al's work, and that he should buy him some of the originals. He asked: "which album has Beat It?"

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 32
Did "Thriller" really come out in 1983? It doesn't seem that long ago.

I loved "Thriller" then and still love it now. It holds up; I've got the SACD and recently stumbled upon a near-mint LP. It's nice on vinyl - I encourage anyone to pick up a copy.

"Off The Wall" is great, too. Such a shame what happened with MJ. If only he had stayed a quirky eccentric releasing strong albums. MJ probably would have ended up working Vegas and packing in the crowds.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 32
Have the following versions....

Original Japanese first-issue CD

2105130862_8410b0ac7d.jpg

Original SACD version with unique paper slipcase

586143836_1cb1189954.jpg

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 32
There's no arguing with the quality of the album, but I'd feel uncomfortable buying any MJ albums these days. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but it seems like putting more wealth in the hands of someone who is going to put it to very questionable moral ends.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no arguing with the quality of the album, but I'd feel uncomfortable buying any MJ albums these days. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but it seems like putting more wealth in the hands of someone who is going to put it to very questionable moral ends.

Get a used copy. eBay has a ton and not one cent will go to MJ. Or the RIAA.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 32
It's a very good album, and has a little something for everyone. MJ was a real talent, as were the people he worked with. Production is very good for a pop album. Certain aspects of it sound very dated/cheesy though, so the funny looks are probably warranted.

I just love the Vincent Price rap on the title track. What an insane, clever idea that was.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a used copy. eBay has a ton and not one cent will go to MJ. Or the RIAA.

Yep, that's what I would do. Fortunately I own enough MJ not to have to.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 32
Yep, it's quality and hard to beat Off the Wall through Bad for pop perfection. Dangerous was good too but not quite the same level. For near a decade, MJ and Quincy Jones had their finger on some magic. There's no shame in liking that.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 32
Yea, I have all of mj's best and it was truly some of the best production for any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back