So I found this great headphone amp laying around the house...
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
First, the history:

Last year, I was putting together a system to play in the den/kitchen area of the house so I could have tunes going while cooking, etc. It was not really meant to be a serious, critical listening system, but still, I wanted it to sound good. At one point, I had a set of nice used bookshelf speakers (Cambridge Soundworks Model 6s) in transit, and my very nice vintage dual mono Harman Kardon integrated was in the shop getting cleaned, some fresh caps, etc. I heard from the repair guy. His mother was in the hospital and I wasn't going to see my HK for a few weeks. But the speaks were on the way...

I didn't want to wait to try them out, so I just ordered one of these cheap Panasonic HT receivers I'd read about on the net. Built with Texas Instruments' class D digital amps (bought from some Dutch company a couple of years ago), they were getting raved about by users all over the net. Besides, the vendor was giving a 30 day trial. I figured than in the likely event that the Panny didn't live up to its internet hype, I could send it back when the HK came home and lose nothing but the shipping.

When the HK came back, it only spent about 2 days in the signal chain. That cheap Panny, with digital audio coax straight out of a Toshiba DVD player pretty much blew it away. I don't understand how it works, really. I've read that the signal stays digital until just before it is put on the speaker terminals, that there is no DAC, per se, that basically, the whole amp functions as a high-current DAC. I won't pretend I understand any of that, but I know the thing really sounds good.

It never really occurred to me to use it as a headphone amp, though. I did plug some cans in there once or twice, and it sounded good, but I didn't pay that much attention because I was focused on cooking and playing the speakers, not headphone listening. Since then, I've ripped my CDs to a hard drive and spent a LOT of time listening to them, right out of my Mac laptop's headphone jack, into my Senn 580s, in spite of all your advice. Well, the other day my back was hurting, so I unplugged the laptop, grabbed the Senns and headed for the den where I plugged into the Panny and played a cd.

My, that sounded good. Really good. I'd been spending a couple of hours a day listening to my Senns lately, but it didn't sound like this.

Knowing that hifi is ripe with imagined wish fulfillment, and that I'm not immune, I decided an A/B test was in order. This morning, I found the time to do it. I carried the Mac and external hard drive out into the den, pulled up a chair, set the volume levels to audibly equal and started going back and forth between the two:

1) Apple lossless file>iBook G4>Senn HD580s

2) Toshiba DVD player>digital coax>cheapo Panny receiver>Senn HD580s

The test track was Babylon Sisters from the Citizen Steely Dan set, because it has it all: Big, punchy bass, kick drum and tom toms, lots of air and space around the instruments, rich, reedy horn solos, a chorus of very dense (not the girls, the mix) background vocals, and a few bells and small cymbals on top. I hit pause, went back and forth a lot. Listened to passages several times each. Here's what I heard:

Moving from the Mac's soundcard to the Panny -- The first thing you hear is the sheer size of the bass. I hadn't really noticed it sounding small out of the Mac, but now it does. The bottom end in the Panasonic is just plain bigger, and with a lot more impact on the note's attack. It's not that it's muddy or mushy from the Mac, but it sure doesn't have the girth or smack to it that it has through this stupidly cheap receiver.

The next thing you notice is that everything else is bigger. Not as dramatically so, but there seems to be more space between the instruments. I've always kind of shaken my head when I read about "sound stage" in cans. I mean they're cans, right? There is no way they can lay the music out in front of you on a "stage." And they don't, but listening through the Mac, while I never sensed much of that "3 blobs" sensation people talk about, everything seemed to stay pretty close to my head. Through the Panny it's spread out much further and the layers of distance between the elements are palpable.

The last thing I noticed, and this is the most disturbing, is after listening to the track through the Panny, when I went back to the Mac, sounds in the upper mids (those background singers) and trebles (bells, cymbals and such) seem to have a rather sharp edge to them. And those background singers seem a bit mushed together. This is disturbing because rather than it simply being something that is lacking in the Mac's presentation, it is something added. Something not good. A distortion of some kind. I don't know if this is "grain," or the famous jitter I've been wondering about, but it's definitely there. And don't get me wrong; the Senns don't sound bad straight out of the Mac. They sound good. And they would have continued sounding good if I hadn't gotten this little glimpse of Valhalla. Now I want an amp for the home office even more than ever. But I may have the clean, neutral presentation thing covered with this Panny. I may have to go for tubes next. Or maybe I'll just buy another one of these things for the office!

I know you all love pictures with reviews, though I'm warning you - It isn't pretty. Here:

saxr55.jpg

That's right. I'm singing the praises of a headphone amp that was built in China as a 5.1 HT receiver. And it's hopelessly cheesy, with user interface like a bad cell phone. I don't often mention that I own one of these in audio circles because people look at me like a tree has grown from my nose (yes, I see you looking at me that way now), but there it is. A dirt-cheap (easily found for <$200) Chinese HT receiver as high-end headphone amp. Go ahead. Tell me I'm nuts; I can handle it. When I read it I'll be sitting on the couch in my den, lap top in lap, listening to my new headphone amp....

smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 14
OK, I'll be the first one to rain on your parade
wink.gif

Plugging your headphones (especially not-particularly-easy-to-drive ones like the HD580) directly into a laptop is not exactly a "reference" setup. So, to say that the Panasonic was a lot better is akin to saying that when compared to the factory car stereo in your Buick, your new Coby boombox really rocked...

You need something that would widely be considered a "good" setup to make any reasonable comparison.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Anything that gives you more current will make your cans sound better. I used a couple vintage receivers for a while, and they are the best amp/price ratio, IMO. You can pick up old receivers for $10 sometimes, and it will give you the power you need to drive your phones while researching for a real HP amp. I got a ton of enjoyment out of my Sony ax-520 and Pioneer SX-434 before I got my 2move, and now I'm looking into desktop setups as well.

Not all are good, but a couple I have around the house certainly aren't bad by any stretch of the word.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 14
It's easy to make the HD 580 sound "good". It's more difficult to make it sound "great." It's a headphone that scales quite well, and unless you've heard it with a good home amp, much of the journey with it still lies ahead.

I haven't heard the Panasonic, but I would be willing to bet it would struggle with a hard-to-drive AKG. The Sennheisers have a tendency to still sound pretty good from weak sources, while the AKGs that I've heard (501, 601, 701) and owned (301) basically sound lifeless and yield no bass--kind of like FM radio quality sound--when driven from the likes of AV receivers, if that makes sense.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 14
OK party poopers, I know, I know. I hope to one day get a good amp in here to compare. The best I have now is an old Airhead. I can tell you this much: The cheapo Panny receiver beats it. Of course that could be the current thing. Jaska, I'd take that bet. I don't think the AKGs would phase this thing. It will drive the Senns to very high levels with lots of punch and definition in the bass without breaking a sweat and with ooodles of headroom remaining. Is it refined? I'll let you know when I've got something to compare it to. But it has plenty of power. I don't know how the headphone out is implemented, but it has much the same clean, punchy, somewhat bright character that it has through the speakers, so I'm guessing a couple of the TI digital amps are in play. How they step them down from 100 watts each I don't know, but it sure wouldn't make any sense to design an amp that is digital all the way through to the very last step, then stick a cheap DAC and an op amp in front of the headphone jack. I'd bet the farm that's not the case.

And Punisher - I've heard a few vintage receiver headphone jacks, including the one coming out of my HK. You're right - they can give you plenty of power, but they don't sound like this.

It's not going to keep me from seeking out a good amp, but it sure is enhancing my fun in the meantime!

Tim

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 14
I haven't heard headphones out of the panny amp, but the Panasonix SA-XR series has been getting amazing reviews over at AVS. It's beating receivers many times its price in terms of SQ.

Which really is not a surprise. Digital amps sounding better then analogue amps many times their price is something the hi-fi world is just beginning to swallow. The price ceilings are so low on headphone amps though it really doesn't appear even as a blip in our world.

Again this doesn't mean the headphone out of the SA-XR series is necessarily good, but the potential is there, especially if it's just a stepped down version of the primary output (which is much more likely then on pure analogue amps since the way these are designed the DSP "touches" every input).

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not going to keep me from seeking out a good amp, but it sure is enhancing my fun in the meantime!

That's a GREAT attitude to have. People sometimes always look at what they "want" rather than making the best out of what they currently have. It's called being pessimistic and you're quite the opposite!

Congrats on being happy with what you have, rather than loathing for something else. It's a good attitude to have in this hobby as it definitly helps you save some money, lol. Like many say, but not do, you ARE doing....enjoying the music!

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

the potential is there, especially if it's just a stepped down version of the primary output (which is much more likely then on pure analogue amps since the way these are designed the DSP "touches" every input).

I'd bet the farm on this part. I've got an inquiry in to Panasonic support, asking how the headphone jack is implemented. If I ever hear from them, I'll let you know, but this is not a cheap dac and op amp I'm hearing; it's too clean. This is the digital amps. I just don't know how it is stepped down.

Tim

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a couple vintage receivers for a while, and they are the best amp/price ratio, IMO. You can pick up old receivers for $10 sometimes, and it will give you the power you need to drive your phones while researching for a real HP amp. I got a ton of enjoyment out of my Sony ax-520 and Pioneer SX-434 before I got my 2move, and now I'm looking into desktop setups as well.

Not all are good, but a couple I have around the house certainly aren't bad by any stretch of the word.

This is not surprising. I think it was pretty common, back in the 70s, for the headphone circuit of an integrated amp or receiver to be little more than the main amps knocked down to headphone levels through a nest of resistors. Even knocked down, they delivered plenty of power. These days, I understand that op amps have become so cheap that separate amplification for the headphone jack is the cheaper solution, so often, midfi consumer receivers don't offer headphone performance any better than portables or the headphone jack in your consumer cd player.

Tim

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the signal stays digital until just before it is put on the speaker terminals, that there is no DAC, per se, that basically, the whole amp functions as a high-current DAC. I won't pretend I understand any of that, but I know the thing really sounds good.

If it's anything like some of the Onkyo integrated amps on the market now, then it would basically allow the option to keep the signal is "pure" as possible by keeping the signal paths as short as possible while disabling all the tone controls.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's anything like some of the Onkyo integrated amps on the market now, then it would basically allow the option to keep the signal is "pure" as possible by keeping the signal paths as short as possible while disabling all the tone controls.

Here's the best explanation for how the thing works that I seem to be able to put my crusty ol' mits on:

Quote:

The XR57 amplifies signals from CDs, DVDs and other digital sources in their original form. It does not convert them to analog. Moreover, the XR57 features a 192-kHz/24-bit A/D converter that converts analog signals from DVD-Audio and other sources to digital signals immediately after input. This means that the XR57's digital processing is compatible with sample frequencies up to 192 kHz in all stages, from signal input to just before output to speakers (or, I assume, phones). Compared to analog amps, the XR57 minimizes cross talk (unwanted signal mixing) and distributes more power over a wider frequency range. It unleashes the full high-quality, wide-frequency sound potential of DVD sources.

For PCM-to-PWM conversion, the XR57's Feed-Forward Error Correction circuit (patented by Texas Instruments) uses an extremely high sampling rate of 2048 fs. This minimises distortion in the analogue demodulated signal at the final stage.

Pure ad propoganda? I really don't know. I wish I could pack the thing up and take it to CanJam and find out.

Tim

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 14
Sort of sounds like the same deal as the old iRiver H3x0 DAP's. They have a jack labeled "Line Out," however, for the longest time nobody believed it was a true line-out because the user still had full control over its volume. Then we found out it's a weird type of digital amplification where the power output is determined by a digital signal's gain (in a stage before any analogue section of the DAP).

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tim,

Is your Panasonic the XR-55?

Any response yet from Panasonic?

And, have you compared any other amps yet with your Panasonic? Thanks

Yes.

No.

No. Well, sort of no. I have compared it to the amps built into my iRiver portable cdp, my iBook and my Headroom Airhead, in line behind both of the above. What it does that my sources and the Airhead don't do is mostly in the bass. More impact, less boom/bloom. Feels like a lot of power and headroom. It has more clarity and detail than the iBook, with or without the Airhead, but that's not surprising as the iBook's sound card has a rather warm, dark sound. The clarity and detail seems to be comparable to the iRiver, which is quite good for a portable. It seems to present a broader, more open field than any of the above, though, but I say seems because it's very subtle and could be a bit of wish-fulfillment on my part.

I'd love to be able to compare it to a good DAC and a dedicated head amp with plenty of power. Even if there is an op amp just ahead of the headphone out, the fact that the signal remains digital all the way through the chain up to the last minute should achieve a good bit of quiet and purity - the kind of thing amp designers have been trying to get out of simplified designs and very expensive, transparent components for years. And because all analog signals coming into the Panny are immediately A/D converted @ 24/196 to take advantage of this, I would assume that any D/A conversion at the other end is done at the same bit rates. It's not a surprise that it doesn't suck. Is it a head amp giant killer? Well, I'm sure it won't draw anyone away from tubes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it holds its own against dedicated head amps designed for a neutral presentation. Eventually, I intend to find out.

Anyone want to come down to Charlotte with their G1?
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back