So how good will cat6 or cat5 mini to mini cable be for a a cable around 4 inches?
Nov 2, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DeltaX5

100+ Head-Fier
I kind of don't want to go out of may way to order parts online or buy cables online. So i am thinking just buying 2 1/8" plugs and put the cables thou a shoelace. This is for my portable amp that’s way i am trying to make it short. So am i better off getting cat 6 network cable?

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Do yourself a favor, simply buy a Cardas HPI, they're $18 from HeadRoom.

Cat5 really sucks for ICs.

Unless you want to get into cable building, consider the FS forum or premade cables, there isn't much to be gained by saving $10 on sub-par wire and connectors when nice cables pop up at the $20-$30 range all the time.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 14
I live in Canada. I just want something to replace the wire that came with my fiio. It's to long for my needs and it's basicly falling apart. Plus I can't find any mini to mini cable that short at stores.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 14
You're not looking hard enough, I'm from TO as well. There are a few audio stores around, but it's just a lot better to buy online. No reason not to buy from US, but there are 2 major audiophile stores in Canada. TakeFiveAudio and PartsConnexion. The later does not sell 3.5mm connectors but the first does. You can also quite easily order Neutrik NYS231 from Newark.ca, but wire is better elsewhere.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 14
So you saying you pay more for better insulation? What i am planning to do is get 3 shoe laces and have one for left channel one for right and the other 2 in one lace for the ground. Doing this mostly for looks. Or I could just do a 4 cord braded and each cord has its own lace. I'll try to make it as short as i can so I can at least have some slack.
I have cat 5 cord lying around and radio shack 3.5mm plugs. Just wondering if I should spend a bit of money and get Cat 6 or Cat 5e. Will there be a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4" of cable?

are you running MICROWAVES over it?

no? then even a wet noodle works fine.

(I'm only semi kidding).

shorter the length, the LESS 'cable magic' matters.

fwiw...

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 14
I"m not one to say that this is better than that or that that is better than this, but I will say that using regular cat5 cable (not cat5 patch cable) made a very noticeable difference on my old Koss UR20's as a headphone cable not an interconnect.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaX5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you saying you pay more for better insulation?

no, but what I'm saying is that when I was growing up and learning a bit about audio and electronics, we were taught that 'wiring started to matter only in RF and above'. and I still mostly believe that, today.

4" of wiring would 'matter' if you were running radio waves thru it. but audio - geeze, audio is not 'hard' (lol). 4" of wet noodle can pass line-level audio. linguini preferred but even vermicelli works if that's all you have
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

4" of wet noodle can pass line-level audio. linguini preferred but even vermicelli works if that's all you have
wink.gif

Sweet! I have heaps of linguini around, I'm gonna make me some bad-a** interconnects! Haha.

I am of a similar opinion, though, I have yet to make a cable that sounds remarkably different and I don't think they make as much of a measurable difference as everyone thinks they do.. I think if you just spent $300 on recabling your HD600s, before you've even plugged them in you've convinced yourself they sound better
atsmile.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 14
These effects are much more visible with interconnects than headphone cables. The high impedance signal is much more readily influenced by excess cable capacitance.

I have noticed this using ~5 foot StarQuad interconnects, there is a small but noticable rolloff above about 12khz.

Cat5/6 has quite low capacitance though, so you should be fine.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

4" of wet noodle can pass line-level audio. linguini preferred but even vermicelli works if that's all you have
wink.gif

I have to try this some day
I'll tell you how it goes =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back