So how do you deal with annoyingly long cables?
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 34
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my HD201's, which have the most stupid long cable ever, I use a twist tie. Everything else I just let dangle.

Yes, I use two twist-ties to make the cable of my AD900 shorter. I rolled it up in a coil, then put one twist tie at each end. I can't imagine what inductance that adds, but I don't think it can be much. The entire thing is about 1.5-feet long.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 34
Hm, seems like either bundling them up with a velcro strip or a twist tie or using a headphone / cable holder would be the least damaging way then. Perhaps a headphone rack with a cable organizer.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 34
NEVER let it dangle. It forces a constant pressure on the device its plugged into causing the audio jack to break much sooner than you'd like it to. NEVER LET THE CORD DANGLE FROM ANYTHING!!!!!

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 34
For permanent cables (patch, speaker, etc) I have a bunch of "cable turtles" I bought a few years ago ... work very well to keep cords short and dust-free.

For headphones, I use velcro cable ties, or for smaller cords, "purse tie" cable twists ... like disposable twist ties, but resilient, better for cables, reusable.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ ?? $500?

it went over your head eh...

I coil the cable in a circle and use two pieces of Velcro strap to hold the coiled cable together.

Circular cable sounds much better, it opens up the sound, nice tight low articulate bass and smooth extended highs!
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 34
Just a loose coil and three twist-ties. But as has been said, don't let the weight of the coiled wire pull down on the connector.

So Canuck57, a circular cable 'opens up the sound' does it? That made me smile!

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 34
I've actually been revisiting this lately as my IEMs 3' cord isn't quite long enough to reach the Nano where it sits on my desk, playin' and chargin'. So I use my spare (very slim) 5' extension cord. Rather than have the plug-jack connection hanging down, I keep the IEMs cord coiled up (now in a single loop) with the connection contained in the purse tie cable tie, or using the tie to fasten right to my shirt. (The IEMs are supported by an included lanyard so that no weight is applied directly the IEMs in my ears.)

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #27 of 34
bunch it up nicely and use a girls hair tie thing, commonly worn around there wrists. there like 50 cents and work perfectly and are super durable.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bunch it up nicely and use a girls hair tie thing, commonly worn around there wrists. there like 50 cents and work perfectly and are super durable.

Bunching up the cable can damage the cable if the inner wires are bent too much.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 34
Arghh, even the thought of it xD
Long cables are seriously annoying, especially for portable use like I have with my S-Jays, I mostly roll them up a bit in the way they were in the box (the cables mostly keep that bend in them so I just follow that while rolling them up) and then gently stick it in my pocket like that. I'm begging the cables will never break cuz that happened way too many times on other IEMS.

And I'm super glad that Ultrasone replaced the stock 3meter long cable of the HFI-780s with a 1meter long stock cable and included an extra 4meter extension cable, not using it portable so that 1meter straight cable is just about perfect for me.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i coil my HD800 cables up real neatly on my desk, i prefer the long cable for those times i'm not at the desk and am laying on a bed or couch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back