So... here I am
Nov 20, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

farfilo

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
This is my first post,  so I'm a little bit excited....
I'm from italy and I've been listening music for years, playing it too:
I always owned decent stereo components (the best for my pockets) with decent speakers, but in the last years I saw an evolution in the way I listen: at first circumstances such as my daughter, my kids, my neighbors forced me to use headphones....
But then I starting to search them as the best way to find myself and and my music in the right place and with the right way: now I find inside me a curious addiction... Plus the fact that I was attracted by headphones since I was a kid.

My chain in this moment is a CD player Pioneer PDS901 with the stable platter mechanism (CD's are inserted upside down!) which I use as digital reader, linked via coaxial cable to a Cambridge audiodacmagic... the record loop of the Rotel 1060 ampli is connected to a Pro-ject headbox MK2.... Analog cables are the classic Monstercables interlink 400
That's it. The cans are a 15 years old AKG K500.

I was thinking to upgrade the headphones and I was tempted from the white and the dark side of the force...
Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K700... I'm reading all that I can on the argument since I've not che chance to verify with my ears!

So... here I am.
Cheers,
Antonio

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to head-fi, as they always say 'sorry for your wallet'

I guess between HD650 and K701 it depends on what your preferences are. The 701 is not for everybody, but do have it's very loyal users.

Good hunting!

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Welcome to head-fi, as they always say 'sorry for your wallet'

I guess between HD650 and K701 it depends on what your preferences are. The 701 is not for everybody, but do have it's very loyal users.

Good hunting!

I have to say that I don't listen rock.
Most of my records are jazz and fusion, like pat metheny group, Mike stern, Scott Enderson, Jeorge Benson... swing too, like Jamie Cullum. Donald Fagen (which I love) plays a lot in my stereo..... and this is my serious side.
But in addition I'm very fond of that music which is punchy, snappy but not rock: I refer to Earth Wind & Fire, Chic, Tower of power, Sister Sledge (dance and funky) with LOTS of Jamiroquai.
My K500 is well equipped for my tastes (at the beginning I hated it) but I find the highs a little harsh (have you in mind when a singer pronounce the S letter, and it is harsh, tending to be F...)
And I don't know if the K701 is enough to smooth the highs and have more bass... or I have to completely change genre with the HD650.

Which of the 2 was more difficult to drive? The amp delivers 300mW/30ohms or 60mW/300ohms, but these are only mere numbers for me. What I know is that my K500 plays from half volume forward.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 4
I would really try to listen to both befor you buy, I think I would prefer the 701's, but not 100% sure, depends on what I listen and which mood I am.

They're both killer cans, but very different. They both need extra amp, I think the 701 is more difficult to drive properly, but I'm not sure of that, since I don't have both of them.

Personally, I'd also check the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro if I were you (sorry if I make it more complicated, but then again, this is head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back