So happy, HD650 in the house!
Sep 8, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #16 of 25
No, that's not normal. Pull away the earpad and the foam pad beneath and have a look if there's a hair sticking out which touches the membrane or if there's another foreign matter in the earpiece -- blowing it out should help.

peacesign.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
No, that's not normal. Pull away the earpad and the foam pad beneath and have a look if there's a hair sticking out which touches the membrane or if there's another foreign matter in the earpiece -- blowing it out should help.

peacesign.gif

ohmigod ohmigod thank you thank you! i did as u said and removed the pads and foam and lo and behold, in the innermost ring of plastic there was a hair thin fragment of plastic hanging from the ring that must have been there from the manufacturing process and was touching the driver cap. i took the sharp end of a small screwdriver and slowly shaved the plastic hair away. all the annoying buzz sound has gone now. thank you thank you thank you!

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roasty
what headphone stand do you guys use with the 650? cause it has like a little notch in between the pads and im worried anything like the stands in the Headphile stand thread will deform the pads as the 'hook' area of the stand is pretty broad and large in size.

This is what I use for my 650's, and it does a great job. Zero deformation of the headband or pads. Plus it's kinda Easter Island'ish looking
580smile.gif

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=20798

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
This is what I use for my 650's, and it does a great job. Zero deformation of the headband or pads. Plus it's kinda Easter Island'ish looking
580smile.gif

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=20798

icon10.gif
that looks hilarious man, easter island on my table. i've been to my local Ikea, and havent seen anything like it though. i'm on the verge of getting some carpenter to custom make a stand for me.. hoping to outline the shape of the pads and the centre notch so that the entire stretch of head pads and notch will be resting on some wood... <<< lol

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #20 of 25
When I first got my 650s, they were replacing a beautiful pair of 580s. I was so psyched... plugged them in... put in a disc... ugh. They did not sound good at all. I thought, OMG, what have I done. I know my 580s took a long time to burn in, but I guess I was so conditioned to their wonderful sound- it was hard to fathom that the 650 would ever match it.

But after a very lengthy break-in period, they are excellent. You will note a marked improvement after a fairly short period, but it does take a good long time for them to really loosen up and come alive. The midrange has a nice balanced fullness as compared to the 580s, and the highs are more articulate as well. When I first tried them, though, they were muddy compared to the 580s. Scary.

I later added an Equinox cable courtesy of SeanH, and that really completes them. Since then I have bought sr225s, dt880s, k501s, and sold them all eventually, retaining the 650s.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #21 of 25
Congrats. I got my HD650's from a fellow headfier. However, before that I had my beloved RS-1's. Now I have HD-600's too.

It is only a matter of time before you wind up the same.
very_evil_smiley.gif

A source upgrade here, cable upgrade there and a new headphone every once in a while doesn't hurt.....that much at least.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 25
I just got the 595's for a meager 125 euros, barely used, and at the same time a friend of mine decided he wanted to sell his HD 25-1's
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

going from the 555's to the 595's was a rather big jump in brightness i'd say, but they've mellowed a bit after a night of burn-in. the bass also got somewhat better, and i rather like it straight out of my audigy2. the previous owner was such a ******-head for selling these without giving them some time to adjust, but then again he got the 650's
redface.gif

now i just have to wait for the audio shop to get the HD 25-13 cable. they're willing to mod it to my liking (1.5m with a 3.5mm plug) for only a meager 7 euro's, which is not nearly as much as it would cost me to replace all the parts i'd smash in frustration
biggrin.gif

now i fear i'll only be able to postpone upgraditis until my budget allows for a nice headphone amp
plainface.gif

edit: bless you head-fi
580smile.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
going from the 555's to the 595's was a rather big jump in brightness i'd say, but they've mellowed a bit after a night of burn-in. the bass also got somewhat better, and i rather like it straight out of my audigy2.

Mmmh. I tried both the 555s and 595s. To me the sound signature is almost identical. The 595s just sound a bit more refined a tad more "upgrown". I think the brightness will vanish with more break-in time.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Mmmh. I tried both the 555s and 595s. To me the sound signature is almost identical. The 595s just sound a bit more refined a tad more "upgrown". I think the brightness will vanish with more break-in time.

i wouldn't like that, but they sound great anyway, as did the 555's

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
i wouldn't like that, but they sound great anyway, as did the 555's

Yeah, they are both really great cans and gain even more forwardness when amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back