So Flash Players
Jan 16, 2006 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DJ Mauler

500+ Head-Fier
sup guys long time no head-fi, i needed a break when i started adding up the costs of the stuff i wanted.

anways i really need a flash player, since i dont like carrying my H340 to the corner store or wherever...

so i was thinking of the creative zen Nano plus 1GB. good sound good battery life. just wanna know if you guys have any better flash players out there... since ive been out of the audio game for months...

Jan 16, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 23
Just something to look into, expandibility. I think some of the rio players can take 1gb sd. Xin of fixup.net seem to like the mpio fl100 for the sound and features (used same/similar sigmatel chip as shuffle, up to 1gb sd). But there's other cheaper players on ebay right now that can take 2gb cards. I have one on the way, not expecting much, but then again who knows, no one seems to review these things. The other cool thing is most of these overlooked players use 1 aaa battery. Very convinient.

Jan 16, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 23
The Creative Zen Nano Plus is a good "back-up" DAP ... I work in an office and listen to mine there a lot. Small form factor, pretty good sounding (I use 192 kbps bit rate), easy to operate, very easy to swap songs in and out of on a PC (no software needed to add/delete songs, you can set up folders to serve as playlists) ... and a good value. If you're looking for something that is very portable, sounds good, and is affordable, it's one to consider. Sounds like it would suit your purposes very well. (If you want to pay more and have a "bigger" sound, look into the Cowon iAudio flash players: U2/U3, G2/G3, i5. Again, no software needed to swap songs.)

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
The Creative Zen Nano Plus is a good "back-up" DAP ... I work in an office and listen to mine there a lot. Small form factor, pretty good sounding (I use 192 kbps bit rate), easy to operate, very easy to swap songs in and out of on a PC (no software needed to add/delete songs, you can set up folders to serve as playlists) ... and a good value. If you're looking for something that is very portable, sounds good, and is affordable, it's one to consider. Sounds like it would suit your purposes very well. (If you want to pay more and have a "bigger" sound, look into the Cowon iAudio flash players: U2/U3, G2/G3, i5. Again, no software needed to swap songs.)

thanks, was looking for someone to post about this i also am looking into cowans, but the price on the zen nano plus and the choices of colors is prolly gonna make me get the zen nano come pay day.

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
iPods have no bass. No bass will force you to use EX51/71/81 and those suck crap.

Stick with iAudio/iRiver/Samsung Yepp if you want best sound.

ya i edited my post, nano... added the zen just incase, but ya i am going for the zen but as i type this im looking at some cowans..

EDIT

anyone ever dealth with the Iaudio G2 or G3? im looking at them and they seem to rock, 40 and 50 hr battery life is awesome.

hows the sound and Interface is it a drap n drop like the zen nano?

Jan 17, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
iPods have no bass. No bass will force you to use EX51/71/81 and those suck crap.

This stereotype is a couple of generations out of date. The op-amps used in the shuffle and the nano have remarkably accurate and tight bass, probably the best of any DAP. This has been tested. Read: Shuffle's Got a Secret

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
This stereotype is a couple of generations out of date. The op-amps used in the shuffle and the nano have remarkably accurate and tight bass, probably the best of any DAP. This has been tested. Read: Shuffle's Got a Secret

dam nice link, i honestly didnt know that, i mean ive been out of the game for a bit, but again nice to learn some new facts.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 23
I'm pleased with my iAudio U3. It's especially nice to be able to drag-and-drop from any computer (and platform) I happen to be around.

-Angler
580smile.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 23
The Nano's and Cowons are a lot more expensive than the Shuffle. You can pick up Shuffles cheap 2nd hand. Great SQ bargain IMO. Only thing that would put me off the Nano is that they seem to break easily. Personally I get a kick out of getting decent SQ cheap. One of the reasons I like the Shuffle. The Creative Labs Zen Nano Plus looks decent to. Creative units always seem to have decent SQ too. Don't see too many 2nd hand though. I wonder is that because they break, or because people love them.

Jan 17, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
ya i edited my post, nano... added the zen just incase, but ya i am going for the zen but as i type this im looking at some cowans..

EDIT

anyone ever dealth with the Iaudio G2 or G3? im looking at them and they seem to rock, 40 and 50 hr battery life is awesome.

hows the sound and Interface is it a drap n drop like the zen nano?

The battery life was the main reason I got a G3, its nice not having to recharge all the time, just pop in a new battery. I encode mostly in OGG and it knocks the battery time down to 25-30 hours but for me thats good enough for a solid 1-2 weeks of use.

Sound on most of the cowon players seems to be reviews on the higher end along with other flash players like the nano and the shuffle, I have not heard a comparable system myself so I cannot really comment on my personal experiences with this.

Drag and drop interface, plus the fm tuner/recorder and a voice recorder, not sure if you are interested in that aspect of it, but it was a nice little extra in my case.

If there is a store nearby like a Best Buy they seem to usually carry a wide range of players, my advice would be to check out as many as you can in person if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back