So DACphiles, tell me, will these ~$500 DACs sound better than my cheap iBasso D3?
Dec 11, 2009 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Raez

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm all confused here. Will my little iBasso D3, which has a better DAC chip than many full-sized and more expensive DACs, sound better than some of these ~$500 DACs?

For instance, we'll take the DacMagic. Highly regarded on here, no doubt. All extra features aside, will the DacMagic, which has the same chip as my D3, actually be a better sounding DAC?

If it is so, and the more expensive DACs with lesser chips in them do sound better, why is that? What else in a DAC affects SQ?

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 4
The DAC chip is only part of the DAC circuit. If the rest of the circuit is compromised, the quality of the DAC is compromised. A very well implemented circuit with a lesser DAC chip can still perform extremely well. You'll find that the actual DAC chips are very low-cost in comparison to the DAC's they are used in.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm a great fan of older "CD DACs", definitely unbeatable for value. A lot of older units sell for 1/4 of their original price and still sound comparable to "modern" DACs in their original price range. The one that's I've always loved is the NorthStar m192, I sold mine some time ago, thinking of buying it back.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 4
I doubt there will be much difference, if any, but I'm not interested in that old argument. Find out for yourself -- order a couple of those $500 DACs from suppliers with good return policies and A/B them against your iBasso. If they don't earn their $500, send them home.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back