So-Cal Meet: 1-15-06
Jan 18, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #106 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
HAHAHAH. I think it's official. TheReds is having the best meet experience ever! First winning the Ray Charles Grammy award winning boxset, then the CIAudio VHP-1, and now female admirers from the internets.
icon10.gif

eek.gif

"that headfi is so hot right now....it's like the new myspace"

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #107 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
eek.gif

Headfi=the new myspace - God no!!!!!!

I have refused to join myspace and will continue to do so.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #108 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
eek.gif

TheReds is like Hansel...so hot right now!
580smile.gif

Brian, where were you? I'm sorry to inform you, but I think I have a new favorite headphone that has taken over the top spot from your Moon Audio balanced PS-1's. It's foo_me's Moon Audio balanced Qualia. But it's close. foo_me also brought along a pair of PS-1's, but he hasn't had them balanced just yet so I couldn't do a direct comparison. His rig is similar to yours though, only with an Apogee instead of Empirical DAC1 and a Dynamight instead of a Gilmore Reference.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #109 of 239
Quote:

TheReds is like Hansel...so hot right now!
580smile.gif

Brian, where were you? I'm sorry to inform you, but I think I have a new favorite headphone that has taken over the top spot from your Moon Audio balanced PS-1's. It's foo_me's Moon Audio balanced Qualia. But it's close. foo_me also brought along a pair of PS-1's, but he hasn't had them balanced just yet so I couldn't do a direct comparison. His rig is similar to yours though, only with an Apogee instead of Empirical DAC1 and a Dynamight instead of a Gilmore Reference.

That is exactly why I was afraid to try all those new extpensive stax and qualias, I cant afford them and I knew if I were to listen to them Id be lusting for them for years.

Better to avoid temptation then get caught in upgraditus.
Borat... looks like youve started to fall into upgraditus. Beware!

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #110 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
ahahahahhahaha, the name is john paul (thats my first name) aka thereds. lol, not a bad meet i guess
tongue.gif

Gosh i hope thats not the only picture of me..........crap, lol, whatever, if they liked that, then i guess itll only get better
icon10.gif
. This is getting wierd real fast, ahaha.

I'll pass along the info and see if the girls want to take it to the next level
wink.gif
. I promise to make sure they see your post the next time they stop by! Funny how my niece had never taken an interest in headphones until this afternoon...
icon10.gif

Congrats on your winnings!

And thanks to everyone for yet another informative SoCal meet write-up...

Best,
Beau

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #112 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
that cant be all the pics is it? I recall a ton of pics being taken at the meet.

I have a bunch of Ray's pics coming up. Been very busy with work the past two days. I'm on a combat nap schedule right now.
frown.gif

-Ed

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #113 of 239
Quote:

That is exactly why I was afraid to try all those new extpensive stax and qualias, I cant afford them and I knew if I were to listen to them Id be lusting for them for years.

Better to avoid temptation then get caught in upgraditus.

Hey I was not afraid to listen to the Qualia (or HE60, OII etc. in the past), and even though I thought they sounded AWESOME for a lot of music I like, I can take solice in the fact that they are 6x as expensive as the SA5000, discontinued, and (from jjcha's recent thread) possibly chronically defective in their build quality. Just because something sounds better doesn't mean it must be eternally lusted after, since we all have limits at some point.

I'd MUCH rather have the Tannoy Eyris DC3 speakers I auditioned today than the Qualias, Omegas, etc. Even though those cans sounded great, to the point that my "dream" headphone rig would be Qualia/Dynamite + OmegaII/KGSS, they don't haunt me for what I don't have. Perhaps you should try to just appreciate what you hear, regardless of whether or not you can own it. I certainly would not want to take back the experience of hearing a bunch of stuff I can't afford.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #114 of 239
Boo-hoo. I missed it. Originally planned to fly out of LAX on Monday and attend the meet but work, damn work made me move up the flight to Friday. And I was soooo ready to test out the KGSS/HE60 tht took over 2 years to put together. The KGSS just arrived in the mail Tuesday and the HE60 had never been energized. Hope to make it to a meet eventually.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #115 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
These are by far the most interesting and different looking and feeling headphones, I’ve ever listened to or experienced. Where most headphones surround your ear with leather, velvet, pleather, or foam these I believe have two plastic foam filled pads that rest against your temple.

The K1000 Temple pads are actually made from leather. It's just that some of them are very shiny due to skin oils that have "conditioned" the leather.

Everyone now. "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!"
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #116 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The K1000 Temple pads are actually made from leather. It's just that some of them are very shiny due to skin oils that have "conditioned" the leather.

Everyone now. "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!"
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Human oil leather condition --protected the natural way
eek.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #117 of 239
Quote:

LOL. Thanks for your concern Myo. But don't worry, I am simply too poor to fall into upgraditus.
biggrin.gif

I love going to meets to try some world-class gear, but I am never going to buy most of the things I rave about. I am in agreement with Iron_Dreamer here, it's fun to hear them for the experience.

Honestly, if $2600 fell from the sky into my lap right now, I wouldn't even think about going to the Sony Qualia store with it. It would go right into the bank. Boring huh?
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #118 of 239
I heard the Qualias too and I was just not impressed. I think the PS-1's are much better cans than the Qualias. For the price of the Qualias I would rather save up a bit more and buy an R10.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #119 of 239
Quote:

LOL. Thanks for your concern Myo. But don't worry, I am simply too poor to fall into upgraditus.
biggrin.gif

I love going to meets to try some world-class gear, but I am never going to buy most of the things I rave about. I am in agreement with Iron_Dreamer here, it's fun to hear them for the experience.

Honestly, if $2600 fell from the sky into my lap right now, I wouldn't even think about going to the Sony Qualia store with it. It would go right into the bank. Boring huh?
wink.gif

Good to hear.
I noticed that the qualia had some wierd discoloration on the leather at the meet, is this normal?

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #120 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
For the price of the Qualias I would rather save up a bit more and buy an R10.
icon10.gif

I totally agree. In fact that is exactly what I plan on doing.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back