So-Cal Meet: 1-15-06
Jan 17, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #76 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I compared the GS-X to the Dynamight with my K1000's (using an adapter cable I made).

okay... so did anyone compare the GS-X unbalanced to the GS-1? I see them right next to each other in the pictures.

thanks for your impressions Ed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #77 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Great impressions guys! But am I cheesy in having the most positive reaction to this?
SoCalMeet_1-15-06_32.jpg

Totally out of self interest, hehe, since I use a AE-1!

Justin was working on some possibly new colors for the ae-1 at the meet, I do not believe those are the definate colors yet.

awesome!
I won a DVD
biggrin.gif

the meet was great, thanks 909 and Rhino Records!
Im a bit exhausted from it still. I didnt get to listen to everything either, mainly because I was scared that I would like the expensive gear so much Id buy something for myself. So its better safe then sorry and resist temptation. I dont know what wouldve happened if I put on the Stax and Qualias.

BTW who won the Daimond cable?

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #78 of 239
WOW! I see Dave's EC2A3 and E5 combo. And I see Craig of Eddie Current made it there with the EC01. Sorry he diden't have the Zana Duex there to hear. Iv'e horded it away for myself and won't give it back. Just tell him to make more. Hope you all had a good time. The Cincinnati meet is comming up in Feburary and Chi town people are comming down too. Of course all you So Cal members are more than welcome too. PM Eddipus Rex for the plane tickets, hehe. I hope we have a turn out like you had and hope it's as much fun. Well done 909, You Rock.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #80 of 239
I really enjoyed my first meet. It was a pleasure meeting so many of you. I was especially pleased to make perhaps the most obvious discovery: that the HD-650 is a masterpiece, and I must save up for a pair. For classical music, it will be the perfect compliment to my RS-1s for rock.

I was also delighted to spend time with Ray and get his amp switch routine. Truly I could not tell the difference when he switched between my own SR-71 to the Hornet to the HR-2 to the XP-7. It completely removed my curiosity to uggrade my amp. Thanks, Ray, for saving me money! I shall put the savings to good use. I shall put the savings into my new HD-650 fund.

My big mistake of the day was not taking home a pair of Grover's RCA cables, which he kindly offered me on trust. I have spent today regretting my decision, since I have now researched his cables, and I want to hear them! Fortunately, Grover gave me his email address and I have emailed him for a pair.

Thanks again, David, for organizing a great meet.

Jeremy

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #81 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Great impressions guys! But am I cheesy in having the most positive reaction to this?
SoCalMeet_1-15-06_32.jpg

Totally out of self interest, hehe, since I use a AE-1!

Does he have a Pink one to match the bow in my hair?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #84 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Congrats on the goodies you walked away with. How is that VHP-1 working out with your Grados?

great! i love it, and prefer it over the creek obh-21se that i recieved for christmas (which has since been returned). However, my source is lacking, and amplifing the signal from an Audigy 2 ZS isnt really that good to begin with, but an improvement non the less! Now, just saving up for an apogee or lavry 010 and transit would nicely push me along the holy path of headphile bliss. I might ask though, which would result in better sq; audigy line out > VHP > HF-1's.....or X5 headphone out > VHP > HF-1's?????

fyi, the amp opened up the sound a lot more, creating more air, and cleaning up muddy notes in the midrange. Bass also has more definition and a wee bit more power. I can not comment on the highs just yet, havnt really listened to some good electric guitar
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Also, anyone by any chance at all know how many hours this thing had on it before i brought it home around 7:30 the night of the meet?

peace

Jan 17, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #85 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
fyi, the amp opened up the sound a lot more, creating more air, and cleaning up muddy notes in the midrange. Bass also has more definition and a wee bit more power. I can not comment on the highs just yet, havnt really listened to some good electric guitar
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Also, anyone by any chance at all know how many hours this thing had on it before i brought it home around 7:30 the night of the meet?

Hey Reds,

Glad you're enoying the VHP-1!...We were out of them when 909 call and asked if I would participate in the meet, so I built it on sunday and let it play over night...it doesn't have much time on it at all...it should continue to improve for 200-300 hrs.

-Dusty-

Jan 17, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #86 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
DAC Shoot-Out

One of the best comparisons we made today was between DACs. It occurred on many tables and many people participated, so I will just describe what I heard personally. At Iron_Dreamer's table, we were blessed to have Edwood's optical distribution amplifier to split Toslink signal into four. Four DACs with preamp out were level matched and fed into Iron_Dreamer's Dynahi with four inputs. Power cords and interconnects were all identical. First we did Benchmark DAC1, Lavry Black, AQVOX USB2 and a highly modded Bel Canto DAC2. They all sound quite similar, so I had to work hard to catch the last 5% difference. Several people including myself thought modded Bel Canto is the weakest. I think it is laid back and does not show any particular strength, though I can't really find any fault either. The other three sounded equally good to my ears, although with AQVOX it is a bit tricky. AQVOX lets the user control upsampling and filtering via buttons at the front, and there is only one optimal setting that makes it sound as good as Lavry and DAC1. The three DACs still voice a bit differently, but I really could not tell which is more enjoyable.

In the second round we took out the Bel Canto and put in PreSonus Central Station. It sounds very similar to the other three except for a slight sibilance in the upper midrange. Since Central Station is significantly cheaper at $500, its performance is in fact more than admirable.

You should have added the VDA-2 into the DAC shootout, I think you guys would've been surprised. I had told 909 it was ok to move it to various systems...I couldn't stay and I know he had his hands full, so I doubt anyone knew.

-Dusty-

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #87 of 239
Ach, Dusty, I didn't realize you were going to be in town! Coulda handed off my vpc-1 to you for service at the meet
tongue.gif
Thanks for the offer, btw. Hope to see all you guys next time.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #88 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
http://calsavate.com/DSC02563a.jpg

Weird thingy on the 650 cable? like a glow?

the flex on the cable has a highly reflex mono filament braided into the cable sleeving, similar to that you find on safety vests and the back portion of joggin shoes.

It will directly reflect any type of light. If you were in a low lit dark room, the cable would be shiney
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #89 of 239
AHHHH - FINALLY AT MY PLACE!!! Well, let me start of by thanking 909 and his family for hosting this meet. It was definately a lot of fun. Having hosted in the past, I know it takes a lot of work and I am sure 909 put in quite a bit.
biggrin.gif

As always, it was a lot of fun talking with Mr. Ray Samuels, Borat, Jasper994, Edwood, IronDreamer and all the others who came. It was also nice seeing all the new faces like Glenn and RacerX. I was introduced to some great music early on (some classical cello pieces by Bruch) and once again had the pleasure to sit down and listen to some music with fellow headfiers and Mr. Ray Samuels.

The biggest kick was trying out RnB's woodied (headphiled) Senn 600's. The soundstage and natural sound on those things is absolutely great. I was also initially impressed with the Edie Current Amps. Very cool looking but then came Mr. Samuels evil switch box
very_evil_smiley.gif
. When A/B'ing with the Hornet v. Eddie Current, I could barely tell the difference between the two with the Eddie Current sounding only a little bit warmer. Once again, my hats off to the RSA Hornet. I was so impressed that I bought a Hornet myself. Thanks Ray!
icon10.gif

Well, it is late and I have school tomorrow. I will post pictures soon. Need sleep.

[size=large]Big Congratulations to my good friend Jasper994 for winning the Hornet.[/size] Welcome to Team Hornet my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back