So-Cal Meet: 1-15-06
Jan 22, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #181 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Iron_Dreamer:

You are probably right, but after reading your thread about the edge on the sound while the ihp-120, I made an inqury concerning this on the Rockbox forum about sound quality. A bit of discussion has occurred. During the week a few intervening tweaks have also been made to rockbox for the iRiver. I do not know if these tweaks were directly related to this issue though. I do know that I had one track that plays distinctly better now.

The track that I am referring to has its own problems I think making reproduction difficult. Jim Ferguson's "Not Just Another Pretty Bass" track 11 "I Get Along Without You Very Well" has issues with the horn sound and small clicks or pops. Maybe not clicks or pops, just grain.

The problem lies in the unacceptably high noise floor. Since I would like to use the iRiver iHP for portable use, an IEM will be the headphone of choice. But many are so sensitive, that you can hear an annoying hiss, with hard drive noise even. Higher impedance cans do not reveal this noise as much, but of course the catch 22 here, is that the iRiver does not have enough juice for some of them.

-Ed

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #182 of 239
Yea, for your use it is a catch 22. I use an amp via my microdac and do not have those issues. I have been taking my ATH-A900TLDs into work lately as well. With this train the noise level is not a problem for me. It is revealing enough to hear bad recordings as I have mentioned. There was a thread about either performance or quality. I picked quality since there are so many great performances there is no need to settle for bad quality sound.

Thanks for tagging along with me in this thread on this subject.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Higher impedance cans do not reveal this noise as much, but of course the catch 22 here, is that the iRiver does not have enough juice for some of them.

-Ed

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #184 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Yea, for your use it is a catch 22. I use an amp via my microdac and do not have those issues. I have been taking my ATH-A900TLDs into work lately as well. With this train the noise level is not a problem for me. It is revealing enough to hear bad recordings as I have mentioned. There was a thread about either performance or quality. I picked quality since there are so many great performances there is no need to settle for bad quality sound.

Thanks for tagging along with me in this thread on this subject.

You're welcome. But despite the high noise floor of the headphone output, it was very sweet indeed with an amp, and not too shabby for a portable digital transport. Very handy for meets.

Liked it enough, that I just bought one.
wink.gif

Oh boy, I'm going to have the Head-fi Utility Belt to carry all my portable gear. Think Bat Belt, but with Head-fi logo.
evil_smiley.gif

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, Head- Fi!!!!! Head- Fi!!!!

-Ed

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #185 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mitchell
Did anyone else spend time listening to Ferbose's Presonus Central Station? I'd like to read others' thoughts on it.

I did, and I basically agree that it's a great value for all the functionality it has. Granted, it is not quite as refined sounding as some of its more expensive competitors, and I am pretty sure that more listening time could unravel some more differences. But considering the sound quality and functionality you get for the price, it is a bargain, if you use all that it has to offer. To buy it solely as a headphone amp, preamp, or DAC, well is perhaps not as great a bargain, but if you use multiple or all functions, well now you're talking.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #186 of 239
I would like to thank David "909" & his lovely wife for being there for me at the airport, the plane was late yet this wonderful young couple waisted their Saturday night to pick me up & take me to a great chines resturant then drive me back to my hotel room.The next Sunday morning 909 stops by my hotel to drive me to the meet. Thanks again. I would like to remind you that you will always have a freind here in Chicago when ever you visit the windy city.
The meet was great so was the HOST. Daves mom, & his wife were there to lend the helping hand, they put long hours at the meet to be with us & I would like to say thank you.
I had great time meeting my freinds over there, as I love to be at the SotCal meet, it is a lot of fun. Great headfiers & great place to have the meet. Meeting Graig from Eddy Current was a privillage also, wonderful person to chatt with.
After the meet we had great time going to a resturant followed by going to Edwoods house. Thanks buddy, that carpet was as confortable as the best bed I slept on. Please say thanks to your hospitable wife.
Thanks to Aaron to drive me back to the airport.
Until the next meet.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #188 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
I would like to thank David "909" & his lovely wife for being there for me at the airport, the plane was late yet this wonderful young couple waisted their Saturday night to pick me up & take me to a great chines resturant then drive me back to my hotel room.The next Sunday morning 909 stops by my hotel to drive me to the meet. Thanks again. I would like to remind you that you will always have a freind here in Chicago when ever you visit the windy city.
The meet was great so was the HOST. Daves mom, & his wife were there to lend the helping hand, they put long hours at the meet to be with us & I would like to say thank you.

Ray thank you so very much for your gracious and kind words. Providing you with some transportation was the least I could do considering you flew near across the country to attend the So Cal meet. My wife and I had a wonderful time with you on Saturday night, enjoying the conversation, tasty food, and good company. Thanks again for dinner and it was a pleasure finally meeting you in-person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
The meet was so much fun,

909 ready to plan another one?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, I had a great time. How about sometime in August?
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #189 of 239
Hey Ray, nice to hear from you. Did your flight go okay?

Also, how do you like that Cantus CD?

Thanks again for coming out, it's always such a pleasure to have you around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #190 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Thanks again for coming out, it's always such a pleasure to have you around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Easy for you to say when he gave you an amp
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

That said, from my OBJECTIVE point of view, Ray is the biggest ball of fun around that comes with two giant security-tape-covered cardboard boxes!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #192 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Easy for you to say when he gave you an amp
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

That said, from my OBJECTIVE point of view, Ray is the biggest ball of fun around that comes with two giant security-tape-covered cardboard boxes!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Best $20 (on raffle tickets for those who don't know) I've ever spent...
very_evil_smiley.gif

That said, I always get excited to go to a meet when I know Ray will be there. He always adds so much life to meets, and is an absolute riot to be around...
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #193 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
So are the dance studios air conditioned? I don't think we've ever had SoCal meet where we weren't sweating our @sses off.
tongue.gif

-Ed

you mean a summer socal meet where we weren't sweating our @sses off... As I recall from this last meet many of us had jackets on for at least part of the time since it was fairly cool.

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #195 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Im down for an august meet.
We should start planning now, the longer the plan time the most likely more big manufacturers can plan on attending.

Good plan.
tongue.gif

You up for it again, 909?

I think we just might have enough raffle tickets left over.
biggrin.gif

The only problem we will face is lack of tables and chairs, so we will look into table and chair rentals. There was so much floor space, but not a lot of tables.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back