So Behringer 2496... How to plug?
Oct 6, 2005 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
So I have a Behringer 2496 heading my way. When I ordered I didn't put too much thought on the connectors...

I'm planning to use the EQ connected to a Rega Brio Integraded amp. I thought I would do that using the XLR outputs of the EQ, and connect it to the regular RCA inputs of the amp, using an XLR-RCA cable.

Someone said this would not work...
Quote:

You are going to need a transformer to ding down the +4dB to -10dB level. A cable isn't going to do that. +4dB can and will overdrive consumer amps without fail. There are a few boxes on the market to do the conversion - Rane makes a decent rackmount version and ART has an inexpensive box.

So... What the h***! I've seen a few pics where people had their cdp plugged to the DEQ, and then using XLR-RCA connected to their headphone amps. The same way they would have connected their cdp to their amp... So it looks like the signal coming out of the cdp would match the signal from the DEQ...

Can anyone shed some light to the issue?

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 7
The Behringer DEQ2496 has a plethora of analog & digital inputs & outputs. You can connect the digital signal coming from your transport (ex. CD player) using whichever digital connection cable you prefer, and then send the analog signal from the DEQ2496 to your amp thru the analog XLR outputs using XLR->RCA adapters you describe.

I'm not sure about the output signal voltage on the Behringer. Many pro-audio devices output a 'hotter' signal than regular consumer gear. I know he ART DI/O does this, for example. In such a case, you may find that the volume attenuator on your amplifier can adjust the resulting levels to your satisfaction. Or if not, you can get attenuators to put in series of (or even inside) your analog-out cables before it hits your amp, thus lowering the signal to a more managable level.

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Oh, from the manual
Quote:

he DEQ has electronically balanced inputs and outputs. The circuit features automatic hum and noise reduction for balanced signals [...] The servo function, which is also automatic, recognizes the connection of unbalanced pin assignments and changes the nominal level internally so that there is no difference in level between the input and output signals (6dB correction)"

So the DEQ itself already seems to address the issue of XLR-RCA... Lets hpoe I don't have any problems
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 7
I got some REALLY nice sound from this unit. I drove my Panasonic DVD-S47 out to a Monarchy DIP Classic, to the DEQ2496. The monarchy accepts RA/coax in, and I got an AES/EBU balanced digital cable to feed the Behringer.

I got cheap Radio Shack adapter plugs, 1/4" mono male to RCA female. Used regular RCA cables out of that.

Sound was really good, and playing with the digital EQ was a LOT of fun! Really got to tailor some of the sound in my room. Didn't try to do anything autoiatic with the microphone, just toyed with it and tuned by ear. Far from perfectly flat I'm sure, but like I mentioned, a lot of fun, and pretty good sounding, too.

Folks on Audio Asylum like the $140 jitter box/DAC even better for the DAC (IE, better DAC than the DEQ). I think a digital out to a DEQ to the Jitterbox/DAC would be an awesome combo.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I can vouch for the unbalanced xlr's working, I've build a xlr-rca cable and used them to connect to a PPA. If I remember correctly, there is a button on the back which can switch the output levels, if you find it too hot for your amp.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have, it's a hell of a good deal for what it can do.

Oct 9, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Alright so I can vouch too, plugged in yesterday using home made XLR-RCA and worked perfectly
smily_headphones1.gif

As said, the DEQ has a system which detects balanced vs unbalanced and adjusts the signal automatically, so absolutely no problems
biggrin.gif

So far so good, I've yet to explore every option, but on loudspeaker, to me just using the auto-EQ feature made a very good improvement! Very nice features, love the memory, allows you to save different settings, headphones, couch, leather chair, movies, sub, no sub, etc.. very nice!

I do think I've heard some improvement in using the DEQ's DAC vs NAD 541i's DAC, but I'd have to do a blind test to make sure its not placebo.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 7
pro-audio stuff runs at +12 or +22 dBu.. there is a switch on the back of the unit actually to switch it...

you shouldent have an issue connecting it to consumer equipment tho

i love my behringer and really wouldent trade it for anything
smily_headphones1.gif

the AutoEQ function with the measurement mic is really cool and i have had really good results with it with my cans and speakers and such... only place i noticed it dosent work well is with room acoustics for auditoriums and such...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back