So... anyone here speak Latin (Or any other dead/obscure/made-up language)?
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
tathay gainalugeay smeesay etiquay ivealay
smily_headphones1.gif

i had 6 years of latin in school, but i never spoke a word of it aloud (missed all those poem recitations...)

i tried to learn a little bit of irish (gaelic) for a while - that beautiful language isn't dead but the number of native speakers is rather low.
(enya's spoken words in a sinéad o'connor song made me do it - at least now i know how sinéad's name is pronounced and how enya's is really written...)

Man I want to learn both Gaelic (such a magnificent language) and pig Latin (for the life of me, even though I know it is just English, spoken backwards, with and 'ay' tacked on to the end... it takes skill to do all that or to understand all that).

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #33 of 47
I had a few years of Latin... I only stopped taking it this year, so I'm not at that 'I don't remember anything' point. I'm at the "My teacher should scold me for not knowing what that word means, and I know what it means, but I can't think of it' point. I can recognize things as being Latin, I can recognize the very common words that english words are based of, I can understand the grammar pretty well, and the prepositions, but I forgot a lot.

Let me try my hand at translating -
Quote:

An tu putas neminem loquatur Latinam in hoc loco?

Are your computers named in latin names in that place?
Quote:

Illa vita est.

That is life.
Quote:

Semper ubi sub ubi

Always something under something (Damnit, the latin teacher would always complain when I forgot ibi and ubi, and I still don't remember)

IMO, the real advantage of Latin is being able to understand english grammar a whole lot better and being able to understand latin origins of english words.

Brutus interficiat Julium in senatum romanum.

Bam. I bet I had interficio conjugated in the wrong conjugation and senatum romanum in both the wrong case and the wrong declension.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #35 of 47
I speak javanese, not java programming language but the real language itself used in central and east java (Indonesia), I speak the one that used by the common people but I think I can understand some formal javanese that used by royal family.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #36 of 47
I just had an uncle come visit me. He has a twin brother. When they were young they developed their own language and the university studied them because of it.

Funny thing is that, to this day, the one uncle has a very strange and very strong accent while the other has learned to speak more or less normally.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #37 of 47
I did Latin for 8 years (7 at school, first year of a Classics degree) and Greek for 6 (5 at school and the year at Uni) - love both languages, prefer Greek, and the degree totally wasn't for me, concentrating wholly as it did on literature over language. It was like doing an English degree, except we had to translate everything first...

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I had a few years of Latin... I only stopped taking it this year, so I'm not at that 'I don't remember anything' point. I'm at the "My teacher should scold me for not knowing what that word means, and I know what it means, but I can't think of it' point. I can recognize things as being Latin, I can recognize the very common words that english words are based of, I can understand the grammar pretty well, and the prepositions, but I forgot a lot.

Let me try my hand at translating -

Are your computers named in latin names in that place?

That is life.

Always something under something (Damnit, the latin teacher would always complain when I forgot ibi and ubi, and I still don't remember)

IMO, the real advantage of Latin is being able to understand english grammar a whole lot better and being able to understand latin origins of english words.

Brutus interficiat Julium in senatum romanum.

Bam. I bet I had interficio conjugated in the wrong conjugation and senatum romanum in both the wrong case and the wrong declension.

Not so much on the first one. "What? Do you think [or, "suggest"] that no-one speaks Latin in this place."

For the last one, you have a third-singular present subjunctive active when you want the third-singular indicative. This isn't a jussive subjunctive thought (i.e., noun-clause).

You want, "Brutus interficit Caesarem in senatu Romano." Though, the conspirators killed him in the Theater of Pompey, so I suppose "in theatro Pompeius" would work there too.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Not so much on the first one. "What? Do you think [or, "suggest"] that no-one speaks Latin in this place."

For the last one, you have a third-singular present subjunctive active when you want the third-singular indicative. This isn't a jussive subjunctive thought (i.e., noun-clause).

You want, "Brutus interficit Caesarem in senatu Romano." Though, the conspirators killed him in the Theater of Pompey, so I suppose "in theatro Pompeius" would work there too.

Come on guys - let's go for the usual stuff:

Semper ubi sub ubi!

Insula magna est, non est parva.

Latina Regit!

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Come on guys - let's go for the usual stuff:

Semper ubi sub ubi!

Insula magna est, non est parva.

Latina Regit!

Always where under where.