So... anyone here speak Latin (Or any other dead/obscure/made-up language)?
Mar 2, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 47
Yes - I took four years of latin! Latina Regit!

Recordatis - Semper ubi sub ubi.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

I also know Spanish, English and Italian. My German is bad and my Slovak is horrible and almost non-existant now.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 47
I can speak in tongues fluently ...

I took some Spanish and German in HS and then some more Spanish in college, but don't remember much of it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 47
I had 6 years of latin and 2 years of greek. I don't remember much though. I also had 6 years of English, 6 years of French and 5 years of German.

English is the only foreign language I can speak, I can still read German and French though.

I'm now studying Mechanical Engineering.

All those languages were quite a waste of time, English is the only language of any value to me but I didn't learn that in class (those lessons were too easy).

Almost forget to mention, I'm dutch

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
Oesday igpay atinlay ountcay?

tathay gainalugeay smeesay etiquay ivealay
smily_headphones1.gif

i had 6 years of latin in school, but i never spoke a word of it aloud (missed all those poem recitations...)

i tried to learn a little bit of irish (gaelic) for a while - that beautiful language isn't dead but the number of native speakers is rather low.
(enya's spoken words in a sinéad o'connor song made me do it - at least now i know how sinéad's name is pronounced and how enya's is really written...)

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #24 of 47
How about FORTRAN... I think it's dead AFAIK.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Ramsay
How about FORTRAN... I think it's dead AFAIK.

fortran>all. no exceptions, or omisions from that staement.

or not.

i took a few years of latin in high school.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #26 of 47
my school (middle school and high school) was founded by a french woman, and we are required to take french (it's the only foreign language offered). four hours a week (after 6th and 7th grade, when it's 6 or 7 hours) in an immersion program, plus a month long homestay in angers, france and a four-week class trip over to paris and provence in june (annual trip for the junior class, grades are rarely bigger than 26 people so it's possible to do this).

plus i've spent over four months in france out of a school context. i love french, and i hope to be fluent in the end.

i can read hebrew (only block letters and with the vowels), though i generally have no idea what i'm reading. i hope to become fluent there, too

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 47
I've had 3 years of High School Latin, and still remember enough to translate most of the stuff posted in this thread in laten (albiet it is the most basic stuff).

My vocabulary is smaller than it once was, but I still enjoy the language. I really like the increased vocabulary and the emphasis on culture/history of the language compared top spanish/french/german.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 47
Arggh I did so horribly in French and Spanish, but in Italian I do quite well. I have no idea, they are all latin based. I used to make my own written languages in 4th grade and tried to make phonetics for them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back