Snugs
Nov 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Apologies if there is already a Snugs thread. I'm surprised that a search did not show one.
I just received Snugs sleeves for my IE8's. There was a hiccup along the way and I initially received full shell. Mainly my fault as that is what I originally asked for. Anyway. Changed the order and today received half shell sleeves.
I have ended up with both half and full shells but Emma refuses to charge any extra.
Communication with Emma at Snugs has been outstanding. I've had a reply within hours both very early in the morning and well after normal office hours.
Snugs obviously put the customer at the very center of what they do.
The sleeves are produced using laser scanning and 3D printing. Something went slightly amiss with the first attempt but this time they are perfect. Comfy and a good seal.
If you want to hear what your IEM's can do with a complete seal, you cannot go wrong with Snugs IMHO.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 25
Any pics? I also have Snug for my DUNU 2000J and while and are very well made and comfortable, the soundbore in incredibly small compared to the one on the DUNU and sadly it affects badly the overall sound, mainly soundstage, so I have stopped using them and I am back to normal tips.
To be honest, unless you have very funny ears and find it very difficult to get a good seal with normal tips, custom ear tips like Snugs are probably a waste of money.
Same goes for CIEMs in my view. My Shure 846 were as comfortable as my custom.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 25
[/IMG]

I do have hilarious ears! I never get on with standard tips. Even my CIEM's are not that comfortable.
The full shell Snugs do feel a bit like a wodge of silicone in my ears but I am sure I could get used to them. The half sleeves are great. Very comfortable.
The bores are a reasonable diameter. The only thing is that I have a very sharp bend into my left ear canal. So the nozzle of the IE8 is firing a little into the wall of the sleeve. I don't think it makes a huge difference to the sound.
I am sure that if you felt there were issues with the compatibility of the Snugs with your particular IEM Snugs would be keen to work with you to resolve them.
I can't remember that I have never dealt with such a friendly company.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 25
Well, you have to give credit when it is due. I contacted Paul last week to share my issue with my Snugs and got a quick reply asking to send my pair in to be fixed. I put my Snugs in an envelop ready to be  posted and was planning to send it tomorrow. 
But today I got a lovely surprise; a brand new pair with all the original packaging and Paul has even thrown in a free pair of Soundmagic ES10...
biggrin.gif

Those Snugs are not cheap but you do get first class service and Paul really know how to look after his customers so thanks Paul.
The new Snugs are now perfect with a nice wide sound bore  and my DUNU2000J sound superb again. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 25
Well, you have to give credit when it is due. I contacted Paul last week to share my issue with my Snugs and got a quick reply asking to send my pair in to be fixed. I put my Snugs in an envelop ready to be  posted and was planning to send it tomorrow. 
But today I got a lovely surprise; a brand new pair with all the original packaging and Paul has even thrown in a free pair of Soundmagic ES10...:D
Those Snugs are not cheap but you do get first class service and Paul really know how to look after his customers so thanks Paul.
The new Snugs are now perfect with a nice wide sound bore  and my DUNU2000J sound superb again. 

Snugs certainly put the customer at the centre of what they do.
Enjoy your DUNU. I like to think that I helped in a small way. :)

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 25
In the name of balance, I thought I'd post my negative experience of Snugs custom moulds.

I ordered some Snugs about 7 months ago, and my experience was pretty terrible. I initially received a pair of snugs where the fit of the left ear was good, but the right ear was loose. I was told to send both moulds back, along with a new set of ear impressions, so they could remake the right side.

After waiting several weeks for the replacement I was told that they'd been sent but, when I checked the provided online tracking number, it turned out they had been delivered to the wrong address, several hundred miles from where I live.

When I contacted Snugs, I was told that they would recover the earphones from the incorrect address, and send them on to me.

After waiting another week I was told that they could not recover them and they would have to make another set, but they would be fast-tracked.

However, there seems to have been some further confusion at their end, as a week later they still hadn't started to make the new set and, when I questioned this, I was told that due to the poor service I had received I would be given a full refund, but they would still send me a new set of moulds.

After another week I was told that the snugs had been sent, but guess what ... they were delivered to another wrong address.

I double checked the address that I had provided when I ordered the snugs, and it was correct. The fact that the moulds had twice been sent to wrong addresses was due to mistakes being made at the labratory where the moulds were produced.

I contacted the courier service who delivered the moulds and this time I was able to track them down and get them re-delivered to my correct address, but I now received a pair that fitted my right ear but were loose in the left ear ... and they were not even the colour that I had asked for.

I'd spent a fair amount of time, effort and money (I still had to pay for two sets of ear impressions, despite the refund for the moulds) and I still ended end up with a product that I wasn't happy with.

In fairness to Emma at Snugs, she was extremely personable and tried to be helpful when I contacted her, calling me in the evening and at weekends to let me know of any updates.

The problems I had were actually due to mistakes made by PC Werth, who are the company that actually make the moulds, but I was paying a premuim to Snugs in order to avoid these kind of issues.

At the end of the day, Snugs are not a company who make ear moulds. They are a company who take ear impressions (charging £40, but you can use an alternative audiologist for between £25 - £30) and then using a third-party called PC Werth to actually make the moulds.

They are effectively offering an ear impression service, plus additional customer service experience, while charging quite a large markup.

I ended up trying an alternative UK based company, recommended by my local audiologist at Specsavers, to get some alternative moulds made. The company Specsavers use are called Puretone - http://www.puretonemusic.net/silicone_personal_moulds.html - and they charge just £95 for their custom moulds (price inclusive or ear impressions if you order them via Specsavers).

Snugs charge £179, including ear impression, or £139 if you get the ear impressions taken elsewhere, for the same servce ... so thats £84 (or 88%) more.

My poor experience may be unique, but there is a much cheaper option, offering a very similar product, but without the problems I experieced, so as a result I personally can't recommend Snugs.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 25
Good to have another view. That does not sound like a good experience at all.

I think it's put me off ever bothering with custom sleeves, tips, or moulds ever again to be honest.

I had some sleeves made years ago by ACS who also used PC Werth (same company as Snugs use) but those sleeves turned out brilliantly and lasted me about 3 years.

As I say, in fairness to Snugs, I think the issues I had this time were due to ****-ups made by PC Werth. They didn't seem to do a very good job of the sleeves, got the colour wrong, and kept sending them to the wrong address ... but having paid Snugs well over the odds to manage the process they have to take some responsibility as well.

Credit were it's due though, Snugs knew the service I received wasn't up to scratch and gave me a refund without me even asking for it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 25
I think it's put me off ever bothering with custom sleeves, tips, or moulds ever again to be honest.

I've had a number of attempts at custom sleeves and CIEM's over the years. The process is rather a PITA. I don't think any company has got it right first go!
You have to be prepared to work with the company to resolve fit issues.
The problems you experienced however, sound like sheer ineptitude.
Snugs these days use laser scanning of the ear and I was told that the sleeves are 3D printed by a lab in America.
I have weird ears and have endless problems with universal tips so custom seems to be the way forward for me.
Even my CIEM's are not totally comfortable but sound so good that I would not go any other route.
My listening is mainly done on public transport so portability and isolation are key for me.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 25
I have from the very first venture into higher end IEM and audio always yearned for a CIEM or at least custom tips. From my first decent IEM Etymotic  ER•6i (we all have to start somewhere )  up to and including the Shure SE425, but never managing to actual get them done, usual case of finding an audiologist and the hassle of having impressions done as a result 10 years on I still hadn't completed the initial steps and continued to make do with my favourite overall tips, Comply.

But during all this procrastination and my purchase of a Chord Mojo, the need for better led me to look at purchasing the Sennheiser IE800. But as many can confirm, maintaining a good fit and seal were these IEM's real achilles heel and to make matters worse Comply tips could not weave their usual magic for me, that was until another member mentioned Snugs Tips. The ordering process seemed so easy and location to get my impressions done meant there were no longer any excuses whatsoever.

Sennheiser IE800 never materialised and instead thought why not have tips made for my existing Shure SE535's instead and save a few pennies for other purchases.

My first impression for my left ear was not perfect and very uncomfortable and I immediately contacted Emma. Communication was 1st class and prompt. It was also quite convenient that Snugs were at HeadRoom 2016 and having met the team, I explained my issues and had a new 3D impression carried out. My new tips (Full bodied tips) were delivered today and wow what a difference. I have never heard my Shures sound so good before, controlled bass and such a deep and expansive soundstage and all thanks to these Snugs.

The service from start to finish was exemplary and thanks to Emma and the team for their help and giving a new lease of life to my SE535's

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 25
strange Tyl at ces 2018 showed you can make your own ear impressions via an iphone app, but on snugs website no such thing is available

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 25
Given the high price I would still prefer the actual scan or old fashion mould.I am very surprised this great idea/service hasn't really become more popular... most reviews I read are "sponsored" items, only a few personal over on facebook and not a lot about them here in the forum...

I am sticking to Comply for now as the current £199 price for the snugs only option is too high for me...

Please share if any of you know of an alternative provider (ideally UK based)...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 25
Given the high price I would still prefer the actual scan or old fashion mould.I am very surprised this great idea/service hasn't really become more popular... most reviews I read are "sponsored" items, only a few personal over on facebook and not a lot about them here in the forum...

I am sticking to Comply for now as the current £199 price for the snugs only option is too high for me...

Please share if any of you know of an alternative provider (ideally UK based)...

Puretone - I paid £95 including moulding from one of their authorised audiologists. Can't recommend them enough, they mould your IEM into the ear mould, so unlike Snugs who use an exhaustive list of IEM moulds you can get, in theory any IEM moulded to Puretone's at half the price. Also Snugs outsource their moulding to someone else from what i remember so you're paying them a hefty mark up for doing essentially being a middle man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back