Snow Leopard
Aug 31, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #61 of 95
Mac OS X 10.6 installed and seems to run just fine.
A couple of my application do not support 10.6 so far, but apart from that everything is a breeze.
biggrin.gif

Going to re-compile some of my favorite applications for 64-bit, using the 10.6 SDK.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #62 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iTunes music files are stored on an external hard drive. Should I have the external drive mounted when I do the installation.?

Actually during the install procedure I wouldn't have the external connected (it has no influence in the installation process). If you're upgrading (the default for installing SL) then before opening iTunes just reconnect your external and everything should run fine. But if you want to do a clean install (as I always do, things tend to go smoother that way) then you can follow my procedure, that consists in backing up your entire hard drive using Time Machine (if you don't want to back up everything, then copy what interests you to an external hard drive or something, but among those things copy the library folder inside your home folder). Then do a clean installation of Snow Leopard (actually I reformatted the drive before installing) and then, before opening iTunes, inside the copy you made of the library folder there is a folder named iTunes, copy that to the library folder inside your home folder in Snow Leopard (replacing the one that is there if it exists), reconnect your external HDD, open iTunes and voila! all your music and settings are intact.

BTW I installed SL in my MBP (which was a little trickier than that it was supposed to be since the disc drive died a couple months ago), I really like it, and after 10.6.1 is out to correct some bugs I would advice almost everybody that uses Leopard to upgrade (except people that depend on hardware still not supported on SL). Everything I use, with some minor exceptions, has been running even better than in Leopard, and the snappier feeling is really nice, and there are quite a few extra details and refinements in a lot of areas that make it overall a solid upgrade over Leopard.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #63 of 95
Got it installed myself. For now, I have NO CLUE what has changed. The kernel runs as 32bit and some apps are still 32bit. Other than that, all my apps run fine and there is no issues so far.

I realie that audio midi app has changed slightly, but I do not think it syncs it automatically. Still need to manually change those.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #65 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrjacob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There've also just been released a new version of Max Max from sbooth.org

The non-clean installation went well. I also gained disc space and iTunes seems to load faster. I did have to reset the Audio Midi so that sound was output to my USB DAC.

I want to continue to use MAX. Should I delete the prior version and download the new version or just download the new version? I am not nearly as proficient with OSX as I am with Windows XP so I sometimes do not know the answers to some very basic question. Thanks for the help.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #66 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually during the install procedure I wouldn't have the external connected (it has no influence in the installation process). If you're upgrading (the default for installing SL) then before opening iTunes just reconnect your external and everything should run fine. But if you want to do a clean install (as I always do, things tend to go smoother that way) then you can follow my procedure, that consists in backing up your entire hard drive using Time Machine (if you don't want to back up everything, then copy what interests you to an external hard drive or something, but among those things copy the library folder inside your home folder). Then do a clean installation of Snow Leopard (actually I reformatted the drive before installing) and then, before opening iTunes, inside the copy you made of the library folder there is a folder named iTunes, copy that to the library folder inside your home folder in Snow Leopard (replacing the one that is there if it exists), reconnect your external HDD, open iTunes and voila! all your music and settings are intact.

BTW I installed SL in my MBP (which was a little trickier than that it was supposed to be since the disc drive died a couple months ago), I really like it, and after 10.6.1 is out to correct some bugs I would advice almost everybody that uses Leopard to upgrade (except people that depend on hardware still not supported on SL). Everything I use, with some minor exceptions, has been running even better than in Leopard, and the snappier feeling is really nice, and there are quite a few extra details and refinements in a lot of areas that make it overall a solid upgrade over Leopard.

Thank you. As I posted above all went well with the upgrade installation.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #67 of 95
Came home from work today and found my "Up To Date" disk in the mail
smily_headphones1.gif
Snow Leopard is installed (did a regular upgrade) and is working fine. About the only thing I've noticed so far is faster load times for the Apple applications, much faster wake-up and cold boot, Midi preferences pane has changed in layout and that Glims isn't working any more.

Please note that by default SL will boot with a 32-bit kernel, you need to press and hold "6" and "4" key during startup to get the new 64-bit kernel
wink.gif
I hope we'll get a 64-bit iTunes by september 9
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #68 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The non-clean installation went well. I also gained disc space and iTunes seems to load faster. I did have to reset the Audio Midi so that sound was output to my USB DAC.

I want to continue to use MAX. Should I delete the prior version and download the new version or just download the new version? I am not nearly as proficient with OSX as I am with Windows XP so I sometimes do not know the answers to some very basic question. Thanks for the help.

Just download it and replace the old version in your applications folder.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #69 of 95
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #70 of 95
Seems faster, and the new features in stacks is great.
Haven't tried the printer yet though but everything else seems a bit snappier and I love the shutdown speed

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #71 of 95
Found 2 more issues:

You can’t install it on a drive that’s used for the Time Machine backup. (I have 2 drives)
According to Apple, you have to move the Backups.backupdb folder to the trash, provide your admin password, them move it from the trash to the desktop. Then you can put it back where it goes when you’re done with the upgrade. Pain in the butt, but it worked.

Adobe wouldn’t function in Safari. I found that out when doing a Post office click-n-ship label, didn't get the label to pop up so I could print it. The cure is to do a “get info” on Safari and click the box to open in 32 bit mode.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #73 of 95
Install the updated version of Flash.. the one included in SL has some nasty security holes.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #74 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adobe Flash wont function?

Adobe Flash are only available as 32-bit I believe, hence it will not work in browsers running in 64-bit.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #75 of 95
A couple issues I have run into (nothing earth shattering)... iTunes has quit on me a few times, esp. when I try to add album art. Also sometimes when I pull up a website my screen becomes a multicolored mess of lines. Its only for a short time until the site comes up but its anything but clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back