Snow-Leopard, anyone?
Sep 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you didn't. Apple just changed the math on how they measure hard drive space and made themselves incompatible with the rest of the world:

They now line up with the standards put in place by drive makers. Its a horse a piece which way you want to go, do you follow the drive makers or the rest of the tech world. Where you buy a 4GB drive because you want to copy 4GB of pictures off your hard drive only to have it not fit, or to have your download be marginally larger on your harddrive or upload slightly less.

Uploading less than a limit doesn't hurt you that much, and the download is identical in size it just takes up a different amount on your hard drive.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

And when that happens, it IS MIcrosoft's problem. Which is why they put so much work into making sure things do work. For examples throughout the development of Windows, check out Raymond Chen's Blog and Book.

A few examples:

The Shell Folders Key
Programs using undocumented structures
Why not just block apps that rely on undocumented behavior?
The power of Deer Hunter
Detecting Long File Name Support
DS_SHELLFONT
Why does Windows eject CDs after burning them?

I could go on for a loooooong time with those. Suffice to say that MS puts a huge amount of work into backwards compatibility, which is why an overwhelming majority of stuff going all the way back to Windows 3.1 still runs on modern systems without even recompiling. For the tiny number of Mac programs out there (comparatively), for Apple not to provide backcompat is apalling.

Interesting. It's clear Microsoft understands business- and so does Apple. However, while MS is trying to ship copies of their OS to as many people as possible, Apple isn't. What Apple is trying to ship is computers. I think that as far as they're concerned, the OS supports their computer line and not the other way around, and their pricing on SL supports this assumption.

While it's perhaps a bit lamentable, the truth is they chose now to revamp the backend and do spring cleaning on all the legacy PowerPC executables, which nonetheless results in a few broken apps.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

No, you didn't. Apple just changed the math on how they measure hard drive space and made themselves incompatible with the rest of the world:

Good - the rest of the world is doing it wrong (apart from linux which uses the correct prefixes).
Hopefully Microsoft will do this too.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 41
arainach, maybe you should go play with your pc? mac will clearly never do anything good ever....

I'm pretty excited to use photoshop and final cut pro with snow leopard! Hopefully opening my 2gb negative scans will be faster!
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arainach, maybe you should go play with your pc? mac will clearly never do anything good ever....

I'm pretty excited to use photoshop and final cut pro with snow leopard! Hopefully opening my 2gb negative scans will be faster!
biggrin.gif

I would balk at a 2GB image file if I hadn't worked on 500Mb per channel 4-channel images before.
smily_headphones1.gif
On a powerPC G4. With only a GB of RAM.

It took a while.
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

And when that happens, it IS MIcrosoft's problem. Which is why they put so much work into making sure things do work…I could go on for a loooooong time with those. Suffice to say that MS puts a huge amount of work into backwards compatibility, which is why an overwhelming majority of stuff going all the way back to Windows 3.1 still runs on modern systems without even recompiling. For the tiny number of Mac programs out there (comparatively), for Apple not to provide backcompat is apalling.

And yet there are still compatibility issues. Why else is Microsoft building XP virtualization into Windows 7?

It's not like Apple is ignoring backward compatibility either; when OS X came out, it was a radical departure from OS 9, so Apple did something similar to what Microsoft is doing now: allowed you to run OS 9 and its apps under OS X. Apple's also radically changed system architecture, going from the G5 to Intel CPUs. Thanks to Rosetta, you could still run your old PPC apps -- even PPC apps written for OS 9.

OS 9 support was finally dropped in 10.5, but Rosetta still remains.

So you're appalled that they haven't gotten it 100% perfect? I guess the upgrade to Vista went perfectly then, and no one found they couldn't run some of their older software…

For what it's worth, the upgrade's been smooth for me, without a round of "Let's upgrade everything to compatible versions!"

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Aaah, so that is how they gave us 6GB++ free storage space.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, so what's the best way to upgrade from Leopard to snow leopard?

Do not know about "best", but booting from the the DVD and install straight ahead worked just fine for me.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not know about "best", but booting from the the DVD and install straight ahead worked just fine for me.

Do I need to backup my files? Should I go for fresh install?

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 41
I bought my copy, but I'm probably not going to install it for a while. I'm pleased with the performance of my MBP as it stands, and I don't want to have to worry about broken applications. It seems like a very good update to Leopard from everything I'm hearing so far though.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need to backup my files? Should I go for fresh install?

Definitely back up! That is crucial for computers at any time though..
I did not perform a fresh install and have not ran into any issues, but besides setting it all up from scratch a fresh install might be "better".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back