Snake oil VS newb ears
Jun 26, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #91 of 127
so.. any update?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Febs and monolith got the good point, and the OP can do what they said easily.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #92 of 127
Too bad, I don't live in the USA so not quite possible here. Well, so that most ppl can hear up to 16khz and some even 12khz?

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #93 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad, I don't live in the USA so not quite possible here.

There are no audiologists in all of Thailand? I find that hard to believe.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #94 of 127
Quote:

Too bad, I don't live in the USA so not quite possible here. Well, so that most ppl can hear up to 16khz and some even 12khz?

Just as an aside when Meyer and Moran did their tests on red book vs high res audio those with better high frequency hearing actually did slightly worse than those who had poorer high frequency hearing.

I would not assume that the ability to hear 20K plus makes much material difference. Back in 1978 listening tests showed that 20K brickwall filters could not be detected, nor could 18K filters, or 16K filters, 14K seemed to be critical though.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #95 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in 1978 listening tests showed that 20K brickwall filters could not be detected, nor could 18K filters, or 16K filters, 14K seemed to be critical though.

Man I love listening tests.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #97 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as an aside when Meyer and Moran did their tests on red book vs high res audio those with better high frequency hearing actually did slightly worse than those who had poorer high frequency hearing.

I would not assume that the ability to hear 20K plus makes much material difference.

Wait, wait, wait... you can't be suggesting that this whole thread is going to be fruitless can you? Something like "even if he can hear 2349867243689K it might not do him that much good, etc." If that is what you are trying to imply, I simply will not hear it (though I might taste it); I am in this for the long haul, I have to KNOW if this liar is lying or not.

btw, once he does get audiologized, we should probably check out that quack's credentials. Given how this is all playing out, I don't trust the doctor already.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #99 of 127
Man, I love this thread...seeing ppl's ego and ignorant makes me quite sad but that blunder and idea of "little chicken thinking im grand eagle with full of experiences" makes me laugh so bad lol. I won't take so much effort to do testing just for someone I don't know in online forum, it's just a waste of time because I know you wouldn't believe that cable makes good improvements anyway.

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #100 of 127
Quote:

Man, I love this thread...seeing ppl's ego and ignorant

Do you have any idea how ironic this statement is?

Quote:

I won't take so much effort to do testing just for someone I don't know in online forum, it's just a waste of time because I know you wouldn't believe that cable makes good improvements anyway.

Of course you won't. Because if you did, you would expose your ******** claims for what they are.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #101 of 127
Quote:

I smell ppl who can't accept hearing different hi-end cables and high frequency sound.....

Maybe you can hear to 25K , good for you but it really is not material here.

From the substantial desk research I have done I have so far found no significant correlation whatsoever between high frequency hearing ability and general perceptual discrimination listening tasks (MP3 vs CD, Jitter, High res vs redbook, Cables, Digital Sources and so on) conducted under controlled conditions. I am an academic researcher by day and I am used to critically reviewing papers, if you can point me to some tests that support your assertion I will be happy to examine them. Perhaps, like me, you should join the AES and have a read of their huge library of papers going back to the 1970s. As a student you an get cheap membership.

Quote:

What I'm telling is I can differentiate cables[1] like many other hi-end freaks who are willing to pay for over $10k just for one equipment like transport player or over $3k for such mere interconnects. And all those are snake oil?[2] I don't think ppl are way too stupid for that[3].

1. Maybe you can, have you done any blind tests ?

2. All ? maybe not, some certainly are.
Also you are making the classic mistake of correlating price with quality.
Remember the Goldmund thing a while back.

3. Sometimes people may be suggestible, and/or gullible or may look for
evidence to support their biases and or spending excesses. Read up
on Cognitive Dissonance, it is interesting. Psychology is highly relevant
to Audio.

Quote:

Well, I give up. you guys are too ignorant. Science proved some people can hear above 20khz but not for most people.

Yes some (few) people can hear above 20K, again you have not shown that this makes any difference at all.

Quote:

OK. Can you guys hear up to 19khz? I can.

Suddenly you have gone from 25K down to 19K , which is it ?, not that it matters.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #102 of 127
lol I love this too.
wink.gif

No offense, I don't want to bash the OP. just tell the truth.

Also, there's no audio-relate.

WindowsX you know why people don't believe what you say or even call you a troll.

1. your language is very offensive.

Being the non-native speakers is not a good excuse here, too. (Your English is fine.) You always keep blaming others who haven't agree with you "stupid", "lack of experience", "using budget stuff", etc.

2. lack of info.

You state you can hear up to 25kHz without proof. Also, you sum up thing based on your no-proof statement. In contrast, others argue with the documents, scientific reports, etc.

Your only claim is the test that is very vague to measure. First two questions came to my mind, "is that test reliable?" and "how could he know that file have the exact freq range?"

From this point, I didn't disagree with your statement, but just want to have a clarification and confirmation.

Also, your statement still have some flaws such as the confusion of sampling rate and freq range. It shows you lack of info, too.

It's like you go to the bank and look for the investment for your business, but you don't have business plan or have a very weak one - no reliable source and have an obvious flaw. I bet you won't get any investment unless your family.

3. You is what you say.

You always say people who don't believe you is full of ignorance. However, you deny to proof you are correct. That's very easy to prove just make an appointment to the audiologist, and post your test here. Also, you keeps avoiding what others ask.

That's what people call "ignorance."

---------

What makes the argument strong is the scientific info. such as the research and the theory. What makes the arguments weak is the feeling and personal experience. Sometimes, personal experiences cause the mental problem so-called learning disability. (Learning Disability, Senge)

All in all, it's just about your point of view. It's art or science.

Sometimes people say audiophile are both art and science.

If it's science, you need to confirm it's right or wrong by your concrete statement.

If it's art, there's no right or wrong because it depends on personal point of view.

----------------------------------------

Hope this help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #103 of 127
Quote:

Too bad, I can hear 23-24k clearly (though quite too quiet) so my limit should be around 25k. It would be too far higher than that. I guess that makes a big difference.

This is just silly. Who cares, and what is you're point. Music is not written to be listened to at these frequencies. This is a spurious debate, so much so, I am not even sure why i'm bothering with this.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #104 of 127
Just for anyone's information. This guy windowsx was trolling here about cables already several months ago. I have never heard him make one reasonable argument or answer any legitimate questions. All he does is make outrageous claims about his super high end gear and his superhuman abilities. Obviously this is just a frustrated teenager with a problem.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #105 of 127
I have read this thread and WindowsX comments with interest and pity. He is obviously a disturbed individual who has a sense of superiority probably due to some inferiority complex. I have come to the conclusion he is not worth the courtesy of a reply for his comments and is best left to himself. On the other hand, it is a good thing to answer his statements in order to disprove false information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back