Smyth SVS Realiser Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones
Oct 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #166 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no Digital Inputs, only PCM digital output (stereo stream with the surround processing embedded). The intial product (Called the "Realiser") only has analog inputs.

-Ed

Hmm, the signal purists are not going to be too happy about it being converted from analog to digital by the box...
Plus running all the cable for 8 channel will be annoying...
I suppose though licensing HDMI or SPDIFF would add to the cost though.

Hah thanks HeadphoneAddict

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #167 of 334
Just a note to mark the contrast: my beyer HeadZone with headtracking has S/PDIF digital input and handles DTS and Dolby automatically. Output is standard HP out (it comes with 880s with the headtracking device). You can turn off all effects with one button, leaving you a darn good DAC and HP amp, btw, as tested at the NJ meet. And for movies and concert videos, as I have written elsewhere, the surround effect is sensational. For 2-channel redbook audio the effect is a tad forced, and most people don't like it (as opposed to the Smyth, which nearly everyone loves with ordinary CDs).

I have not tried the Pro model of the HeadZone with improved firmware, but expect my unit soon and will report.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #168 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, the signal purists are not going to be too happy about it being converted from analog to digital by the box...
Plus running all the cable for 8 channel will be annoying...
I suppose though licensing HDMI or SPDIFF would add to the cost though.

Hah thanks HeadphoneAddict

LOL, well, "Purists" should probably avoid any headphone listening in general since it's converting surround sound for 2 channel headphone listening.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #170 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read the whole threat but you gus may find this interesting:

Smyth Research on Vimeo

Also I'm in for a group buy!

Uh, yeah. You didn't even read the entire first post. That video is posted in the very first post. It's footage from Lan and I at CanJam '08. The very reason for this entire thread's existence.
wink.gif

-Ed

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #171 of 334
Quote:

Uh, yeah. You didn't even read the entire first post. That video is posted in the very first post. It's footage from Lan and I at CanJam '08. The very reason for this entire thread's existence.
wink.gif

-Ed

Cripes! Sorry. I did read it but I didn't click it there. I got that link from AVForums. Anyway sorry.

Any news on release?

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #172 of 334
Quote:

wink.gif

-Ed

LOL. And here I was excited to see another video. I guess the circle is now complete.
popcorn.gif
Still waiting.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #173 of 334
Has there been any news on this? I read the first two pages and there was talk of a fall 2008 release, but I guess that didn't happen, did it? This technology is right up my alley, especially because this is the kind of tech I want to design when I get out in the work force.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #174 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has there been any news on this? I read the first two pages and there was talk of a fall 2008 release, but I guess that didn't happen, did it? This technology is right up my alley, especially because this is the kind of tech I want to design when I get out in the work force.

I got an email from someone at Smyth saying that they are still in the pre-production phase. Still a lot more waiting.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #175 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read the first two pages and there was talk of a fall 2008 release, but I guess that didn't happen, did it?

It didn't happen in the Southern Hemisphere, but it still might happen in the Northern Hemisphere.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #177 of 334
Interesting for sure!
smile.gif

May be in for one, depending on the end product and price.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #179 of 334
I've been excited about this product since 2004. I'd be in for a group buy, especially if we could manage to purchase just the box (and not the 'phones and amp).

If only it would ever become available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back