SMSL VMV D3 Advanced R-2R
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 31
I'm sure it sounds fine, but it is priced insanely high for what is in there. I think at 1k they'd have a shot at some appeal. Or at least something more reasonable. I have to commend SMSL though for breaking the trend on some of their products and putting out some affordable high quality kits. The AO200 being one of them.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 31
Question to the D3 owners: Can the oversampling be turned off ?

Manual is somewhat vague on that point.
I would like to see the option of audio stream not having to go thru the 25 year old SM5847.
SMSLVMVD3OSR.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 31
As far as several types of GD audio equipment needing to be shut down after certain number of hours of being turned on , just read up on their web site, and other forums. Its a well known fact , been like that for a long time.... The dac that you ve mentioned as a competitor to the SMSL D3 is among those.
SMSL is not a competitor for Audio GD, it has inferior features in all aspects. It is at least twice more expensive considering difference in features. It has four PCM1704 chips instead of eight a highest grade ($150 each), it doesn’t offer NOS and a digital filter chip is supermarket grade, it use opamps instead of discrete non-feedback class A amplifiers and a power supply regulators section looks very thin. Analogue outputs are standard, missing Krell-like proprietary ACSS and a major difference is missing external 10MHz clock input which becomes a new high-end standard. It blocks future upgrades to the simple clock synchronization method between DDC/DAC or use super low jitter external clock devices. Instead it has a nice LCD display similar to the Bluetooth devices that brings attention of supermarket users and converts DSD to PCM, while not informing users about this fact. With all these differences Master-7 MK2 comes at a lower price.

A highlighted part also contains a second lie. Please bring a proof, you say your information comes from the Audio GD website.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 31
I am new to this forum. Good day to everyone.
I have a SMSL M400, SMSL SU6, and Audio Gd Master 7 (2021 version with 8pc of PCM1704) and a Audio Gd R7 (discreet resistor ladder DAC 2017 version).
I have made a good comparison to all of them before I made a modification to my SMSL SU6, and M400.
Even though another testing platform (Audio Science Review) ranked the SU9 quite good (based on techical specification like noise and distortion), sound wise, SU-9 is quite behind SMSL M400 (in my opinion). M400 gives more details and is more musical. SU-9 is using ESS9038pro and M400 is using AK4499. Both of them are the top flagship chip at the moment. M400 is double the price of SU-9. M400 has a better output stage, better clock, and power supply. So the peripheral circuits definitely contribute to the overall sound. The main DAC chip is only one factor and I guess most people are aware of that.

When M400 comparing with the Audio Gd Master 7 (PCM1704), I prefer the sound from Audio Gd Master 7. However, I am impressed by how good the M400 can stand close to the Audio Gd M7 which is more than twice the price. The music from Audio Gd Master 7 has more layers. The sound stage is more vivid. Audio Gd M7 and R7 sound different to each other. R7 (discreet ladder) has a more sparkle high ends where PCM1704 is more mellow and rich mid range. SMSL M400 is good too all over.

PCM1704 is a much older DAC chip. I am excited to learn that SMSL is now making a DAC using this chip (SMSL VMV D3). However, I am not sure where they can get the PCM1704 as Burr Brown has stopped making them long time ago.
SMSL is only using the "normal grade" PCM1704 not the K version. I guess that is to keep the cost down.
SMSL VmV D3 is about AUD$4500, it is still quite expensive comparing to Audio Gd Master 7 (2021 version). For that I think Master 7 is better value for money as you will get 8pcs of PCM1704K (not PCM1704J). It weights about 15kg...just massive.

I also have a Bluesound Nodeii, sound wise it is on the bottom of my list. However, the operation of it is wireless, that is I don't need to have a USB cable across the listening room.

I think the SMSL M400 is well engineered with a good precision crystal clock, and a decent output stage (even though it is opamp based). But I do like to see SMSL to replace the four electrolytic bipolar 100uf green Nichicon cap there with a film cap. SMSL did put in a lot of effort to make it into high end quality, I just don't like to see there is still electrolytic cap in the signal path.

My modification is to take the i2S signal from the SMSL M400 (signal feeding the AK4499) to Audio Gd Master 7. The i2S signal is then converted into HDMI i2S format. Now this signal can be fed into any DAC with i2S input HDMI socket.
That way, MQA music can played via a non MQA licensed DAC like Audio Gd.
Therefore I am now having the benefit of the both. SMSL M400 is doing the receiving from my laptop via USB, then decoding of MQA, the i2S signal is then passed to my Audio Gd DAC. The display on the front of the Master 7 confirm the sampling rate is now either at 192Khz or 96Khz or just 44.1Khz matching the SMSL display. Streaming provider is Tidal.
The SMSL is still working normally as it was.

I did the same mod to my SMSL SU-9.

Cheers
Bean

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 31
My modification is to take the i2S signal from the SMSL M400 (signal feeding the AK4499) to Audio Gd Master 7. The i2S signal is then converted into HDMI i2S format. Now this signal can be fed into any DAC with i2S input HDMI socket.
Therefore I am now having the benefit of the both. SMSL M400 is doing the receiving from my laptop via USB, then decoding of MQA, the i2S signal is then passed to my Audio Gd DAC.
Very interesting that this mod will pass decoded MQA data over I2S. I expect you will be asked to open a dedicated thread with details how it is done! Myself, I am not impressed by MQA, improvements in sound can be purely on the fact that AK4499 does a lot of PLL de-jittering work and there is also ground loop redirection, DDC-like.

Interesting is comparison with other Audio-GD DAC, these differences are smaller when comparing the latest MK2 models.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 31
Would you mind to check how it plays DSD? I wonder how they managed to implement this feature, with PCM1704 chip.
I have MHDT Balanced Pagoda on the same chips and it plays neither DSD nor PCM above 192K (as stated in specs). When I convert DSD in Foobar to PCM, of course it plays.
Probably some FPGA based conversion after XMOS USB prior to PCM1704?
Hi, a bit off topic but I'm very interesting to know what % of your music library actually is in DSD and where you get those from.
To me it always seemed like I can't search for the music I like and just get it as DSD, but need to look what is out there in DSD and just try if I like the music. Thanks

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #22 of 31
https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/750.html

SMSL's new R2R DAC.

Can't find any reviews of this yet, wondering if there is anyone out there who has it.

Looks like a pretty good contender.
Well someone lent it to me. I said ok I'll try it how much better can it be then my 1500$ DAC. So at first I didn't really like it it took a while to understand it and man it sounds like analog I put it against my phono and it was really good. Good enough to pay the big price tag well....not really so I put back my old DAC back cause I can't pay for it anyways and when I did so I heard a big difference such a big one that I can't go back to my 1500$ DAC. For me it's a big difference now it's a DAC you can listen for a long time hours and hours it won't blow you away but it's just so much more real. I got a much better connection with the singer the mids were so smooth. Overall it's smooth and doesn't have that digital glare that drives me nuts especially after 1hr of use. I'm stuck haveing to buy it now cause I felt in love with its sound. But this is on my very reveilling system so...my uncle on the other end didn't hear much of a difference but he's not an audiophile. Then again you won't get it in short audio demos

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 31
I heard this DAC in combination with an Enleum AMP-23R at CanJam SoCal 2022, and it was quite simply the best sounding DAC/amp combo I have ever heard at any price, and I've heard quite a bit of the TOTL stuff! While I attribute the majority of what I was hearing to the AMP-23R, the VMV D3 did absolutely nothing to hold back what the AMP-23R was capable of, so that tells me that VMV D3 has to be a fantastic sounding DAC on its own. Still, I do think it's a little overpriced for the build quality on offer, but I think it's very competitive when it comes to its sound quality. Also, its use of the near-unobtainium BurrBrown PCM1704 chips makes it pretty unique. Definitely worth considering if you're shopping in the $2K-$4K price range for an excellent sounding but also natural sounding DAC.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #24 of 31
I heard this DAC in combination with an Enleum AMP-23R at CanJam SoCal 2022, and it was quite simply the best sounding DAC/amp combo I have ever heard at any price, and I've heard quite a bit of the TOTL stuff! While I attribute the majority of what I was hearing to the AMP-23R, the VMV D3 did absolutely nothing to hold back what the AMP-23R was capable of, so that tells me that VMV D3 has to be a fantastic sounding DAC on its own. Still, I do think it's a little overpriced for the build quality on offer, but I think it's very competitive when it comes to its sound quality. Also, its use of the near-unobtainium BurrBrown PCM1704 chips makes it pretty unique. Definitely worth considering if you're shopping in the $2K-$4K price range for an excellent sounding but also natural sounding DAC.
Yep I'm gonna have to buy it now I can't go back to what I had it's actually too good to let it go. It's exactly what I was searching for. It's actually the first DAC I tried in that price range so I'm not familiar with that price range but against my Aune s8 it destroyed it. It freaken sounds analog!

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 31
Yep I'm gonna have to buy it now I can't go back to what I had it's actually too good to let it go. It's exactly what I was searching for. It's actually the first DAC I tried in that price range so I'm not familiar with that price range but against my Aune s8 it destroyed it. It freaken sounds analog!
Actually, if you want a big slice of that 'analog' SQ that the best R2R DACs can give you, but can't quite swing the $3500 price of the D3, I would recommend starting with the Denafrips Ares II (my current DAC of choice). It may not be the most resolving DAC in the world (it's still very detailed), but it is unmatched in it's price range when it comes to giving you the tone, texture and that full-bodied 'analog rightness' that only the best sounding DACs can give you.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #26 of 31
I am new to this forum. Good day to everyone.
I have a SMSL M400, SMSL SU6, and Audio Gd Master 7 (2021 version with 8pc of PCM1704) and a Audio Gd R7 (discreet resistor ladder DAC 2017 version).
I have made a good comparison to all of them before I made a modification to my SMSL SU6, and M400.
Even though another testing platform (Audio Science Review) ranked the SU9 quite good (based on techical specification like noise and distortion), sound wise, SU-9 is quite behind SMSL M400 (in my opinion). M400 gives more details and is more musical. SU-9 is using ESS9038pro and M400 is using AK4499. Both of them are the top flagship chip at the moment. M400 is double the price of SU-9. M400 has a better output stage, better clock, and power supply. So the peripheral circuits definitely contribute to the overall sound. The main DAC chip is only one factor and I guess most people are aware of that.

When M400 comparing with the Audio Gd Master 7 (PCM1704), I prefer the sound from Audio Gd Master 7. However, I am impressed by how good the M400 can stand close to the Audio Gd M7 which is more than twice the price. The music from Audio Gd Master 7 has more layers. The sound stage is more vivid. Audio Gd M7 and R7 sound different to each other. R7 (discreet ladder) has a more sparkle high ends where PCM1704 is more mellow and rich mid range. SMSL M400 is good too all over.

PCM1704 is a much older DAC chip. I am excited to learn that SMSL is now making a DAC using this chip (SMSL VMV D3). However, I am not sure where they can get the PCM1704 as Burr Brown has stopped making them long time ago.
SMSL is only using the "normal grade" PCM1704 not the K version. I guess that is to keep the cost down.
SMSL VmV D3 is about AUD$4500, it is still quite expensive comparing to Audio Gd Master 7 (2021 version). For that I think Master 7 is better value for money as you will get 8pcs of PCM1704K (not PCM1704J). It weights about 15kg...just massive.

I also have a Bluesound Nodeii, sound wise it is on the bottom of my list. However, the operation of it is wireless, that is I don't need to have a USB cable across the listening room.

I think the SMSL M400 is well engineered with a good precision crystal clock, and a decent output stage (even though it is opamp based). But I do like to see SMSL to replace the four electrolytic bipolar 100uf green Nichicon cap there with a film cap. SMSL did put in a lot of effort to make it into high end quality, I just don't like to see there is still electrolytic cap in the signal path.

Therefore I am now having the benefit of the both. SMSL M400 is doing the receiving from my laptop via USB, then decoding of MQA, the i2S signal is then passed to my Audio Gd DAC. The display on the front of the Master 7 confirm the sampling rate is now either at 192Khz or 96Khz or just 44.1Khz matching the SMSL display. Streaming provider is Tidal.
The SMSL is still working normally as it was.

I did the same mod to my SMSL SU-9.

Cheers
Bean
I don't know much about DAC like you scientists but all you guys talk about is the components how come no one talks about the sound? Have you heard the vmv d3? I couldn't care less about what's inside since I know nothing about it! But reading all 5his I have to say is quit interesting! I'll probably never get into it! But I've heard the d3 since I'm testing it out and now I even want to buy it since it sounds so great! I can get it for 2000canadian so it a steal! There's a lot of talk about it being oversampling and the option of not talking it off but what does it all mean? Anyways it sounds great incredible actually it sounds just like my phone that I spent like 5k on! I actually regret spending all on my phono on how good this DACs sounds!

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #27 of 31
I don't know much about DAC like you scientists but all you guys talk about is the components how come no one talks about the sound? Have you heard the vmv d3?
I have feeling that you only heard D3. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back