SMSL SU-9 PRO ES9039PRO DAC is available!
Oct 31, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 26
I agree: the PRO version is on my radar since it was released.

I just found out that SMSL launched yet another DAC (!!!), the D400 ES that, in my opinion, doesn't make much sense because it costs 50% more than the SU-9 PRO (~$750 vs $500) and offers IDENTICAL features. Actually, the SU-9 PRO is a dual ES9039M PRO while the D400 ES is single chip! The latter only has the two (useless) ports I mentioned above and a slightly revised and refined design, if you like.
BTW, the new design sported by D400 EX/ES is very nice 🤩
SU9PRO is single-chip.The D400 ES is also single-chip but has a modern board and housing design.

Oct 31, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 26
You don't need a higher-quality DAC and others need a variety of inputs as well as higher-quality parts, it may be very worthwhile.The higher the price, the higher the quality of the characteristics and parts, as well as the service life.Modern design is also more expensive,IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 26
You don't need a higher-quality DAC and others need a variety of inputs as well as higher-quality parts, it may be very worthwhile.The higher the price, the higher the quality of the characteristics and parts, as well as the service life.Modern design is also more expensive,IMO.

I would always go for the higher quality device if money is not tight
But it seems to be a thing for most people to replace DACs and headphone amps every few months for the next best(new) thing.

And manufactures know that.

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 26
I would always go for the higher quality device if money is not tight
But it seems to be a thing for most people to replace DACs and headphone amps every few months for the next best(new) thing.

And manufactures know that.
They're chasing that 0.000005% THD upgrade.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #21 of 26
SU9PRO is single-chip.The D400 ES is also single-chip but has a modern board and housing design.
Looking on both sides of the PCB it appears to be a singlel dac chip, but the description on their page says " Dual High End ES9039MSPRO". Think it might have been an error, I doubt there's maybe another DAC chip is hidden somewhere.

1667371319764.png
1667371328279.png

1667371070667.png

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 26
Might as well wait til they make SU10 PRO. Lower power consumption from the new 9039PRO should theoretically mean lower noise (from the power supply at least). It seems like SMSL and Topping are getting really good at squeezing out about as much performance as these chips can manage. In principle I would prefer the CNC milled chassis used by SMSL should be much nicer in appearance and better from a mechanical vibration standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back