smsl su-8 dac?
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #47 of 463
You're getting noise when no music is playing? BTW, how do you like the DT 1990?

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #48 of 463
You're getting noise when no music is playing? BTW, how do you like the DT 1990?
Yeah, it's when no music is playing. I plug it into one computer and it sounds great, but I plug it into my main PC and there's so much noise, regardless of amp, power cable, or USB cable used. Tried different USB ports, too. Very frustrating.

The DT 1990 Pro is my main headphone. It's the only one I put in my sig because it's the only one I use on a regular basis anymore. It's my endgame. I still buy "cheap" headphones so I know what to recommend to people, but the DT 1990 Pro might be the last headphone I buy that costs more than $200. I like it that much.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #49 of 463
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the SU-8. Could it be driver related? Or maybe affected by Windows Updates? Does this PC give any other DACs issues?

I have been considering the DT 1990 for the future. I just ordered 400i's and have an Argon Mk3 OTW, so I really should wait and chill for a bit. But the only hesitation I have is that the DT 1990 can't use a balanced cable. Is this correct? Does it even matter with these?

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #50 of 463
My unit seems to have an incredible amount of noise. I hope I can get this resolved because I love the form factor and footprint of this thing.
I don't think that's normal. What kind of noise are you hearing? If it's a low pitched hum (around 50-60Hz) then you might have a ground loop somewhere. You also mentioned that you're only getting noise from one of your computers, maybe try it on a few other computers or use the optical input to see if it's isolated to the USB ports on that specific computer. In that case you can probably get one of those noise filters available from a variety of companies like ifi or audioquest.

I'm using the balanced outputs into my Jotunheim and even with volume on the DAC set to max and the jotunheim to high gain, turning up the volume pot to 100% the background is completely silent through my active speakers (hooked up to the jotunheim) and through my headphones which only have a 50ohm nominal impedance. Basically what I'm saying is that the DAC is definitely capable of a minimal noise floor.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #51 of 463
Sorry to hear you're having issues with the SU-8. Could it be driver related? Or maybe affected by Windows Updates? Does this PC give any other DACs issues?

I have been considering the DT 1990 for the future. I just ordered 400i's and have an Argon Mk3 OTW, so I really should wait and chill for a bit. But the only hesitation I have is that the DT 1990 can't use a balanced cable. Is this correct? Does it even matter with these?

I don't think that's normal. What kind of noise are you hearing? If it's a low pitched hum (around 50-60Hz) then you might have a ground loop somewhere. You also mentioned that you're only getting noise from one of your computers, maybe try it on a few other computers or use the optical input to see if it's isolated to the USB ports on that specific computer. In that case you can probably get one of those noise filters available from a variety of companies like ifi or audioquest.

I'm using the balanced outputs into my Jotunheim and even with volume on the DAC set to max and the jotunheim to high gain, turning up the volume pot to 100% the background is completely silent through my active speakers (hooked up to the jotunheim) and through my headphones which only have a 50ohm nominal impedance. Basically what I'm saying is that the DAC is definitely capable of a minimal noise floor.

It doesn't appear to be driver related. After further experimentation, I managed to get it sounding right. I'm not sure what I did, but it sounds good coming through my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Micca OriGain A250. It still sounds bad through my Beyerdynamic A20. Something I've noticed about that amp is it's by far my noisiest solid-state amplifier if the incoming signal isn't flawless. I can plug the line out from my PC into another amp and it'll sound okay, but plug it into that one and it sounds like a bubbling cauldron of electromagnetic interference. I suppose outgoing signal from the SU-8 isn't quite at the level of a $1,250 DAC like my Gungnir Multibit with Gen 5 USB, but the SU-8 sure sounds good through any other amp, including OTL tube amps like the Feliks-Audio Euforia and Schiit Valhalla 2. I really wish I could tame the noise coming through the A20 though because it's my main amp, as it pairs well with the DT 1990 Pro, has passthroughs instead of variable preamp outputs, and it's built like a tank; that said, if it has anything to do with the A20's 100 Ω output impedance, there won't be much I can do.

As for the balanced thing, I realized a long while ago that I don't hear a difference with a balanced connection. For me, the only thing that balanced does is give me a little more volume, so it doesn't bother me much that the DT 1990 Pro isn't balanced.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #52 of 463
It doesn't appear to be driver related. After further experimentation, I managed to get it sounding right. I'm not sure what I did, but it sounds good coming through my HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Micca OriGain A250. It still sounds bad through my Beyerdynamic A20. Something I've noticed about that amp is it's by far my noisiest solid-state amplifier if the incoming signal isn't flawless. I can plug the line out from my PC into another amp and it'll sound okay, but plug it into that one and it sounds like a bubbling cauldron of electromagnetic interference. I suppose outgoing signal from the SU-8 isn't quite at the level of a $1,250 DAC like my Gungnir Multibit with Gen 5 USB, but the SU-8 sure sounds good through any other amp, including OTL tube amps like the Feliks-Audio Euforia and Schiit Valhalla 2. I really wish I could tame the noise coming through the A20 though because it's my main amp, as it pairs well with the DT 1990 Pro, has passthroughs instead of variable preamp outputs, and it's built like a tank; that said, if it has anything to do with the A20's 100 Ω output impedance, there won't be much I can do.

As for the balanced thing, I realized a long while ago that I don't hear a difference with a balanced connection. For me, the only thing that balanced does is give me a little more volume, so it doesn't bother me much that the DT 1990 Pro isn't balanced.

Is your system grounded properly? A entry-level dac or amp shouldn't have noise if they're grounded properly.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #53 of 463
Is your system grounded properly? A entry-level dac or amp shouldn't have noise if they're grounded properly.

Everything should be grounded properly. In any case, the issue is all but resolved on basically all of my equipment aside from my Beyerdynamic A20. There is just something about that pairing that generates a lot of noise. I've listened to the SU-8 now through the Feliks-Audio Euforia, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, Micca OriGain A250, Schiit Valhalla 2, and the amp section of the Oppo HA-1. It sounds great through any of these amplifiers, so I'm going to go ahead and give it my coveted seal of approval.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #54 of 463
Everything should be grounded properly. In any case, the issue is all but resolved on basically all of my equipment aside from my Beyerdynamic A20. There is just something about that pairing that generates a lot of noise. I've listened to the SU-8 now through the Feliks-Audio Euforia, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, Micca OriGain A250, Schiit Valhalla 2, and the amp section of the Oppo HA-1. It sounds great through any of these amplifiers, so I'm going to go ahead and give it my coveted seal of approval.
Nice, man! Glad you're digging the SU-8. I think it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for: an inexpensive, balanced DAC with good detail and DSD capability. Although, I still have never heard multi-bit of any sort. I see you have a Gumby, which I'm sure is better, but I was thinking about at some point getting the MB DAC upgrade for the Jotunheim. Do you think it would sound significantly different or better than the SU-8? I think it's supposed to be pretty close to the Mimby, if I recall.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #56 of 463
Nice, man! Glad you're digging the SU-8. I think it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for: an inexpensive, balanced DAC with good detail and DSD capability. Although, I still have never heard multi-bit of any sort. I see you have a Gumby, which I'm sure is better, but I was thinking about at some point getting the MB DAC upgrade for the Jotunheim. Do you think it would sound significantly different or better than the SU-8? I think it's supposed to be pretty close to the Mimby, if I recall.

I learnt the expensive way that I do not hear the difference between standalone DACs. The SU-8 appeals to me because of its versatility, small form factor, small footprint, and minimalist aesthetic. I'm not going to tell you that my Schiit Gungnir Multibit sounds better than the SU-8 because I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference, though the Gumby has been nice to have for its ability to send signal to two pairs of RCAs and a pair of XLRs simultaneously while still fitting under my monitor at my desk. When I first read about multibit DACs, the idea seemed to make a lot of sense to me, but I just can't hear the difference. I can hear big differences between headphones. I can hear how well a specific amplifier is able to drive a specific load based on sheer volume and lack of audible distortion, but I cannot hear any difference between DACs. As long as it functions properly and does what it claims to do while demonstrating no obvious defects in audio quality, I'm a happy customer. This little unit is a Swiss army knife of a standalone DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #57 of 463
I learnt the expensive way that I do not hear the difference between standalone DACs. The SU-8 appeals to me because of its versatility, small form factor, small footprint, and minimalist aesthetic. I'm not going to tell you that my Schiit Gungnir Multibit sounds better than the SU-8 because I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference, though the Gumby has been nice to have for its ability to send signal to two pairs of RCAs and a pair of XLRs simultaneously while still fitting under my monitor at my desk. When I first read about multibit DACs, the idea seemed to make a lot of sense to me, but I just can't hear the difference. I can hear big differences between headphones. I can hear how well a specific amplifier is able to drive a specific load based on sheer volume and lack of audible distortion, but I cannot hear any difference between DACs. As long as it functions properly and does what it claims to do while demonstrating no obvious defects in audio quality, I'm a happy customer. This little unit is a Swiss army knife of a standalone DAC.

I think you are right. I am replacing a Musical Fidelity HPA-90 (it is also a headphone amplifier, but I am using it as a dac only). The MF only plays flac files up to 96 kHz.
With the SU-8 I can play all my files in full resolution.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #58 of 463
This little unit is a Swiss army knife of a standalone DAC.
i love this analogy. Perfectly said. And who cares if some "measurement" turn out to be good. This thing just sounds good, which is all that matters to me. Checks all the boxes!

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #59 of 463
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back