smsl su-8 dac?
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #436 of 463
Any info on the release date of the SMSL SU-9?
index.php

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #438 of 463
Can anybody tell me if the unit rembers if it was switched on or not?
I want to use it hidden behind a cabinet and switch it on with the main power supply for my setup.
Yes, it remember. I am using mine with a multiple socket with a power button so that all the gears into it is not being switch on/off using their own switch.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #440 of 463
I have one “silly”/noob question:
Does the the su-8 have fixed line-out? If not how does it work when connecting it to an pre amp? Should I max the volume out from the rca’s? The Schiit modi have fixed line-out so no concerns regarding the volume level.
thank you for the help!

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #442 of 463
I have one “silly”/noob question:
Does the the su-8 have fixed line-out? If not how does it work when connecting it to an pre amp? Should I max the volume out from the rca’s? The Schiit modi have fixed line-out so no concerns regarding the volume level.
thank you for the help!
I think you will have to max out the volume. no fixed LO funcionality
From their website
SMSL SU-8 product page

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #443 of 463
I think you will have to max out the volume. no fixed LO funcionality
From their website
SMSL SU-8 product page
Thanks!
Is there any disadvantages of not having a fixed volume out? I always thought a fixed output would be better but I might be wrong.

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #444 of 463
I'm wondering this too. Anyone know?
Someone from SMSL posted on Audio science review that it's already been in production in January (scheduled I think for March), but because of the coronavirus, all production has ceased, and it's now more likely that it's a May release.

No new info about the technical details tho. They're playing this really close to the chest

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #445 of 463
Any info on the release date of the SMSL SU-9?
index.php

I haven't read anything, but they did release the SMSL SU-8S a while ago. Not sure what the difference was.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #447 of 463
No, I think the SU-8S was just the working title for what is now the SU-9 (on the image above). Shenzhenaudio teased a photo of it (or at least how it used to look) back in October
1581790750254.png
Hopefully this has a built in EQ with that screen, like the ADI-2

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #448 of 463
su-9 coming on september 30. Measured already in audioscience... 440$ though. A bit expensive for a chinese dac.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #449 of 463
su-9 coming on september 30. Measured already in audioscience... 440$ though. A bit expensive for a chinese dac.

I was thinking the same thing, but their pricing does seem to be pretty "elastic", depending on the date. :)

I have been thinking about the BF2 and Aries II for quite a while. I would not pay over $400.00 for this product.

I can't imagine what it would do to justify almost double the price. And I am not a guy to fall head over heels in regards to the measurement numbers. I already made that mistake with the SP200.

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #450 of 463
exactly, many of these products, measure very good, then they sound too sharp, or the volume wheel is a piece of sh... the measurement reviewers not even use them or listens to them apparently.

In any case, this one at least is not silver, and is not with blue numbers like the other smsl dacs... pity of the silver edge of the volume gear, but china...

also, I think AKM is the way to go really, like topping a90 or rme... this one will go down in price for sure though. This one with a proper discount is a great device. Then again, I would need myself a dac/amp combo better.

UPDATE: Oh boy, they went with the rappy blue thing on the user interface. Quite a no go for me, I can't look at something so ugly unfortunately, it's beyond me. dx7 pro better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back