SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #421 of 1,170
Well, I haven't heard the D90 yet. I've read good reviews stating it's perfectly transparent. And it could be more of this and more of that but I believe the saturation point of what this human can perceive as a sound difference has been reached. Nowadays, a good DAC is a good DAC, and these two are on that level. I prefer the D70 because of the balanced output for convenience but I would be perfectly happy with the DX3 Pro. Its amp module is not that satisfying but the DAC's line-out is just all I'd need for my "Mid-Fi" state of mind.

In the context of this thread, the amps make the bigger difference for me and I use my SP200 as a benchmark reference amp to compare the sound between sources and other components.

I'm sure I'll spend more money for amps and DACs though keeping in mind curiosity kills cats but satisfaction brings them back... for awhile. Otherwise, I wouldn't be posting here.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #422 of 1,170
do you guys know if the 888 is worth the investment as a pairing for an RME ADI-2 DAC or is it not worth it?
does it have more power output with enough power room when compared to the RME ?

HI. Right now I cannot really give concrete comparison of ADI-2 amp and ADI-2/SP200 because of issues with my source (dual pc set up), which might be influencing the sound. However, what I have noted so far is: I prefer the Sundara through the ADI-2 headamp (high gain), as mids sound fuller. Through the sp200 it's a little lean overall. The partnership of the ADI-2 amp and hifiman is indeed really pleasing! As regards the DT1990 pro (A Pads), stay tuned, but possibly a little clearer and more open through the SP200 :thumbsup:.

Power output is more with 888 but not by that much compared to the RME's high gain...I haven't got the specs to hand though.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #423 of 1,170
Hello to everyone,
I m new to headphones and I want a little help.
I bought a month ago the sennheiser hd 660s and I m looking for an amplifier.
(300€ Budget)
I read many reviews for amps and I think I want to buy the sp200.
My source is the Pioneer N70ae.
I plan to connect the sp200 to n70 via xlr because the rca outputs of n70 feeds my main hifi system.
My first question is about the synergy between sp200 and 660s..??
And the second is I m thinking to buy a adaptor for the stock 4.4 Pentagon sennheiser cable to 4pin xlr.. something like this

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/jack...emale-jack-44mm-gold-plated-15cm-p-13867.html

Is this ok for sound quality or should I buy a new cable 4pin xlr for my 660s..??
Any suggestion..??

Thanks for your time and sorry because my English is not so good to read it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #425 of 1,170
Hello to everyone,
I m new to headphones and I want a little help.
I bought a month ago the sennheiser hd 660s and I m looking for an amplifier.
(300€ Budget)
I read many reviews for amps and I think I want to buy the sp200.
My source is the Pioneer N70ae.
I plan to connect the sp200 to n70 via xlr because the rca outputs of n70 feeds my main hifi system.
My first question is about the synergy between sp200 and 660s..??
And the second is I m thinking to buy a adaptor for the stock 4.4 Pentagon sennheiser cable to 4pin xlr.. something like this

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/jack...emale-jack-44mm-gold-plated-15cm-p-13867.html

Is this ok for sound quality or should I buy a new cable 4pin xlr for my 660s..??
Any suggestion..??

Thanks for your time and sorry because my English is not so good to read it.
I think you should buy a shorter adapter like the one from venture electronics but this one should be fine as well

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #427 of 1,170
Hello. Sorry for my English...
I bought SMSL SP200 for use with SMSL M500 and sometimes with Chord Hugo 2 (it's power enough for iems and OPPO PM-3 and PM-2, but not enough for Shure SRH1840 or AKG K701).
Mostly I prefer to listen PM-2, but the power of M500 HP out is even less than Hugo 2 (Of course, I knew that for such money you can not expect a good HP amplifier inside M500).
So, basically I bought M500 to hear the difference between MQA and hirez, and of course listen Tidal.
While in one review I read about comparing different audio output MQA options with the original one (DXD). And there wasn't much difference between software MQA render or hardware MQA render (decoder).
Additionally I wanted to have in my DAC collection something not expensive with Sabre ES9038PRO inside.
HP out of M500 disappoints... And it needs good burning (all unit). Because the sound is very airy, as if the sounds lack physicality. I had a similar problem when burning iBasso DX200. All need burning!!!
In my version of SP200 (I connected it by RCA cable to M500) there was no noise (hiss) and being unbalanced only on 0-3 volume. But M500 and Hugo 2 can change the output power. So there is no problem to adjust volume.
Also I have RME ADI-2 PRO (no FS) and I can compare the HP output of RME (HI-Power) and RME - SP200 (Low gain) (XLR cable). I'm not sure, but maybe it's the effect of the cable and the sound with SP200 (low gain) seems more natural. Other sound parameters seem similar to my ears. Maybe after XLR cable burning something will change.
But RME power is enough for Shure and AKG (especially on Hi-power). There is only one way to recommend SP200 for RME. Changing power and XLR cables you can find your sound. But I think this is not the best advice for those who buy the SP200 (so I bought a XLR cable for 50 dollars) and use good power cord (very old).
The M500 may not reveal the full potential of the DAC chip as opposed to the RME, but I like the sound of Sabre. Especially with SP200.
I also read somewhere (SP200 review) that the power cable affects the sound of this device (although I already knew this), so I did not listen to the device with the original cable. If someone is interested, I can compare. I use old Wireworld Electra.
During burning I used old UP-OCC RCA cable and now I burning Inakustic premium XLR cable.
And in conclusion, I'm glad I bought this device. So much energy in this little box and everything is directed only to amplify the sound in its pure form as it is at the output of the dac!

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #429 of 1,170
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #430 of 1,170
This is definitely end game quality. I was talking to benchmark media the other day as I just bought a dac 3 direct from them and they were shocked that there is another 888 other than their hpa4. I said this thing is amazing and I dont need their amp as I have the sp200. And I have to say, their sanskrit 6th edition is downright incredible too.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #433 of 1,170
Actually benchmark wanted to know about the 888 they haven't heard of so I sent them a picture of my unit.
I said it's 300 dollars and does 95 percent of what the hpa4 does. Sold.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #434 of 1,170
i find it hard to believe that benchmark dont listen to test other products from competing brands.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #435 of 1,170
I talk to Rory at benchmark quite often over the past decade, and he had never heard of the smsl 888. He told me that benchmark thought their 888 was the only one on the market.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back