SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #346 of 1,170
The TH-610's are a great combo with this amp.

Nobody does bass boost better than iFi.

Shane D

Truly, I'd recommend you try it at any nearby store that sells it if possible. You forget about the small details and enjoy the musicality that it brings =).

Edit: Also, glad to hear the Fostex series sound good with this amp =D

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #347 of 1,170
Truly, I'd recommend you try it at any nearby store that sells it if possible. You forget about the small details and enjoy the musicality that it brings =).

Edit: Also, glad to hear the Fostex series sound good with this amp =D

I have owned iFi before. I ended up selling it.

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #348 of 1,170
I have owned iFi before. I ended up selling it.

Shane D

Alrighty, and how do you find the THX SP200 compared to it? I'd like to hear about the other side of the coin as well =).

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #349 of 1,170
Alrighty, and how do you find the THX SP200 compared to it? I'd like to hear about the other side of the coin as well =).

It has been a few years since I sold my iFi Micro iCAN SE. I loved the bass boost and found the 3D feature interesting. It had Tons of power but I never really loved the sound. I had bought it to go with HD6XX's that I had bought. The combo never worked for me and I sold both.

Then about a year ago I started getting into amps in a bigger way. I even tried to buy that amp again, but it was out if production. And their new models are too expensive for me.

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #350 of 1,170
For me, adding an iFi iTube2 between DAC and the SP200 has made a huge difference. Easy to add different levels of tube flavor (or almost none) plus iFi's superb 3D Bass. Made a night/day difference when pairing my T1.2 with the SP200.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #351 of 1,170
For me, adding an iFi iTube2 between DAC and the SP200 has made a huge difference. Easy to add different levels of tube flavor (or almost none) plus iFi's superb 3D Bass. Made a night/day difference when pairing my T1.2 with the SP200.

Bloody hell, that would be a dream come true for me...fudge, time to save.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #352 of 1,170

My Schiit Loki can do amazing things for adjusting sound signatures. My choice is several different amps AND an EQ. :grin:

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #353 of 1,170
My Schiit Loki can do amazing things for adjusting sound signatures. My choice is several different amps AND an EQ. :grin:

I disconnected my Loki after deciding the iTube2's bass adjust was enough for me; I rarely used the the other dials on the Loki anyway. Plus I wanted to keep the desktop chain as short as possible and the iTube2 imo is a trifecta as preamp, tube buffer, and (bass) EQ. Tube+ setting also thickens the sound a bit which imo works well with the SP200.

IMG_20191206_214458.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #354 of 1,170
I disconnected my Loki after deciding the iTube2's bass adjust was enough for me; I rarely used the the other dials on the Loki anyway. Plus I wanted to keep the desktop chain as short as possible and the iTube2 imo is a trifecta as preamp, tube buffer, and (bass) EQ.

I find that with the Loki, on most 'phones I add some bass and midrange. With some headphones I also peel back the treble.

The Koss Electrostatics are the only system where I have to crank all four bands at once. This makes the ESP/E95X an all day headphone.

Shane D

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #355 of 1,170
I have both at this moment, the iFi Micro and the SP200, the first one is to move around the house, depending what I’m doing or where I’m working with my laptop and the SP200 is on my desk connected to Schiit Bifrost MB and Loki in the way.
I love both of them, is true the iFi can make alive your music, but is also true that SP200 can make alive some of my headphones , like the HD6xx, it sound much better on the AAA than in my iFi. HD800, in the other hand, sound better on the iFi, but on the THX using the eq( loki) is also impressive!!
Elear sound better on the THX.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #356 of 1,170
I have both at this moment, the iFi Micro and the SP200, the first one is to move around the house, depending what I’m doing or where I’m working with my laptop and the SP200 is on my desk connected to Schiit Bifrost MB and Loki in the way.
I love both of them, is true the iFi can make alive your music, but is also true that SP200 can make alive some of my headphones , like the HD6xx, it sound much better on the AAA than in my iFi. HD800, in the other hand, sound better on the iFi, but on the THX using the eq( loki) is also impressive!!
Elear sound better on the THX.

Have you tried using the iFi as a pre amp to the SP200?

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #357 of 1,170
Personal note: I'm 28, with low to moderate tinnitus.

Let me say how much I appreciate this info as I have a certain amount of hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears, and it greatly affects my perception of certain equipment. These little notes can be really helpful depending on the review.

Also, the "boring" description is shared pretty widely with all THX-based amps, and I'd agree that if you like some coloring, THX amps probably aren't the best option. A good EQ can help greatly, but I wouldn't trade the neutrality for anything else at this point.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #359 of 1,170
Didnt know that the volume knob is really this bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back